Pod Your Reef

eye cany was at our local frag swap. super nice guys and some of the most beautiful coral i have ever seen. wish i had more money at that time

Careful with the leptos, I have mine underneath the big birdsnest and the only part holding it's color well is way back under it barely getting any light.

Can we get a full equipment shot?

I'll have to look through photos I've already taken. I wont be able to take new photos until Monday.

Kfmmartin19

I'll have to look through photos I've already taken. I wont be able to take new photos until Monday.

Alright, let's see what u got

Hey did u ever post a detailed explanation of the tank plumbing on here? If so can u tell me the page number cuz I'm too lazy to look lol.

I was thinking about doing something similar to what u did except with the water going in AND out on one side and an mp10 on the other side. What do u think?

Alright, let's see what u got

Hey did u ever post a detailed explanation of the tank plumbing on here? If so can u tell me the page number cuz I'm too lazy to look lol.

I was thinking about doing something similar to what u did except with the water going in AND out on one side and an mp10 on the other side. What do u think?

Ya you can do that if you want. I really like having it on both sides as it allows water motion throughout the entire tank and waste gets pulled out without it settling on the opposite side. It also allows a little bit of a backup and safety so that one can become more blocked and the other will pick up the slack.

The plumbing discussion is probably within the first 3-4 pages, and here is a post showing some pictures of the plumbing and sump.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/296235-3-foot-office-nano-may-update-fts-and-fragswap/?p=4242979

Here is another picture I've never posted to show the full tank and stand, it is about a month or two old

I've boosted the brightness on the bottom half of the photo so you can see everything. In person it is pretty dark and you can't even see inside the stand.

2HTdb2M.jpg

• Like 2

very nice fts! I like the mix of colours. feels surreal haha

Thanks Ancelot! That has been a goal of mine for a long time. I'm trying to find as many vibrant colors as possible and keep them mixed throughout the tank. I'm still waiting on an Oregon Blue Tort that I have a connection through a club member. Then maaaaybe a flameback angel to add a blue fish. Otherwise ill be looking for another blue coral or two.

Kfmmartin19

Thanks Ancelot! That has been a goal of mine for a long time. I'm trying to find as many vibrant colors as possible and keep them mixed throughout the tank. I'm still waiting on an Oregon Blue Tort that I have a connection through a club member. Then maaaaybe a flameback angel to add a blue fish. Otherwise ill be looking for another blue coral or two.

Yesssss! Flamebacks and Cherubs r sick! I have a cherub and he's my fav

Kfmmartin19

Ya you can do that if you want. I really like having it on both sides as it allows water motion throughout the entire tank and waste gets pulled out without it settling on the opposite side. It also allows a little bit of a backup and safety so that one can become more blocked and the other will pick up the slack.

The plumbing discussion is probably within the first 3-4 pages, and here is a post showing some pictures of the plumbing and sump.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/296235-3-foot-office-nano-may-update-fts-and-fragswap/?p=4242979'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/296235-3-foot-office-nano-may-update-fts-and-fragswap/?p=4242979

Here is another picture I've never posted to show the full tank and stand, it is about a month or two old

I've boosted the brightness on the bottom half of the photo so you can see everything. In person it is pretty dark and you can't even see inside the stand.

2HTdb2M.jpg

Hey thanks! Do u think it'd be better if I put the plumbing so that the water goes in one side and out the other? If so which side would it be best to put the mp10 on?

Hey thanks! Do u think it'd be better if I put the plumbing so that the water goes in one side and out the other? If so which side would it be best to put the mp10 on?

If you are really set on just one drain and one return your first idea of having both on one side would be better with the mp10 on the other side. It's all about flow and aesthetics. That's the best option for one and one.

Pruned off the bottom of my Hawkins frag (it was actually too big) and permanently mounted it to the center rock to the right of the anemone. It fills in that area very nicely. It should also get a little bit better lighting and flow in the center.

• Like 1
Kfmmartin19

So sorry to be a pain but do u think u could go into more detail of what exactly I need to buy (and where from) and what to do? Like a For Dummy's guide? I've never plumbed anything so this really daunting for me and idk how hard it will be. Thanks bro

So sorry to be a pain but do u think u could go into more detail of what exactly I need to buy (and where from) and what to do? Like a For Dummy's guide? I've never plumbed anything so this really daunting for me and idk how hard it will be. Thanks bro

LOL OMG you have no idea how many people PM me asking for a shopping list of everything they need to buy. So don't feel embarrassed or bad asking.

This is copied out of one of those messages.

Here is my marinedepot order

FT1333 1/2 inch Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft - 8 @ $1.00 = $8.00

FT1334 3/4 inch Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft - 2 @ $1.79 = $3.58

FT1335 1 inch Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing / Ft - 8 @ $2.29 = $18.32

FT1513 Plastic Hose Clamp 1/2 inch - 4 @ $0.89 = $3.56

FT1514 Plastic Hose Clamp 3/4 inch - 4 @ $0.59 = $2.36

FT1515 Plastic Hose Clamp 1 inch - 2 @ $1.29 = $2.58

FT7533 Insert Elbow Fitting - 1/2 inch MPT x 1/2 inch Insert - 2 @ $1.99 = $3.98

FT7555 Insert Elbow Fitting - 1 inch MPT x 1 inch Insert - 2 @ $3.59 = $7.18

FT7943 Insert Y Fitting - 3/4 inch Insert x 1/2 inch Insert x 1/2 inch Insert - 1 @ $4.89

TL9135 Two Little Fishies Ball Valve w/ Hose Barbs for 3/4 Inch - 1 @ $7.39

Here is my BRS order

203000 30mm Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit - 1 @ 7.20

203005 42 mm Diamond Coated Glass Drill Bit - 1 @ 11.20

202941 1/2” ABS Bulkhead Thread X Thread - 2 @ 3.60 = 7.20

202950 1” ABS Bulkhead Thread X Thread - 2 @ 5.70 = 11.40

000702 BRS Pukani Dry Eco Aquarium Live Rock 12 @ 3.19 = 38.28

300221 Eheim 1260 Universal Aquarium Pump 640GPH 1 @ 164.99

205904 BRS Nano Mesh Filter Sock 4" x 8" 200 Micron (w/ Plastic Ring) 1 @ 4.80

205912 BRS Filter Sock Mount 1 @ 22.50

And one of the last critical pieces of my plumbing are these screens. They allow for an overflow like style system without using a box if you install them at the very top of the tank. They only come in 1"

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B005XACBEK

2 @ 2.50

Everything probably could have been purchased from Marine Depot but I wanted their Pukani rock and a few other items so I bought enough things to get free shipping.

The plumbing for me is all vinyl black flexible tubing. I felt that is was clean and sleek enough for it be exposed on both sides. Clear would look nasty after a few months. All of the fittings are black or I painted them black on the outside. The hoses are heated with a hair dryer and pushed onto the barb fittings, Some are super snug and don't need clamps, but I bought a clamp for every connection just in case.

The 1" tubing is for the drains. There is enough for 2 lines going into the sump. The 3/4" is a small section of tubing needed to go from the Eheim pump to the valve and then to the Y-Fitting, The Y-Fitting then has 2 1/2" connections for the return lines.

Let me know if you have specific questions about something. I never plumbed a tank before, a few minor bathroom/kitchen repairs prior to this, but it pretty easy to do.

• Like 3
Kfmmartin19

Thanks so much! That's really helpful! If I ever get to this project I will probably pm u for help haha

Oh and also r there any cons to this kind of setup? Cuz this is way more sleek than ur standard overflow box! Why doesn't everyone do this??

Thanks so much! That's really helpful! If I ever get to this project I will probably pm u for help haha

Oh and also r there any cons to this kind of setup? Cuz this is way more sleek than ur standard overflow box! Why doesn't everyone do this??

I don't know why more people do it. Maybe they like boxes lol.

I'm sure part of it is that there isn't any sort of backup system in place, but there are many things I incorporated to keep that chance of disaster as low as possible. First use 2 large drains, run the water line a little bit lower, and use a pump that can't pump more water than your drains can even handle. The last one I'm pushing the limit on. Sometimes I can have the valve open 100% and the water stays equalized, sometimes it creeps up higher and higher towards the rim and I get nervous. It has never overflowed for me but I'd rather have the slightly more powerful pump that I can control with a valve over one that is too weak.

• Like 1
ArabTanker

Hey man. Lets get another fts. :D

Where do you put non demanding coral? Like ones that dont like much flow but need some moderate light?

Hey man. Lets get another fts. :D

Where do you put non demanding coral? Like ones that dont like much flow but need some moderate light?

FTS maybe in a week or so for June, otherwise it will have to wait til July. Things just grow so slowly and I'm not adding a lot of new corals anymore so things don't change much between photos.

Just keeping everyone in the loop on whats been going on.

Like I mentioned before I've moved the Hawkins to the middle of my tank to give it the location it deserved. I loved the color and growth pattern before I even started this tank so hopefully it does well there. The leptoseris frags are very slowly encrusting onto the rocks. The frag plugs that they came on had tiny pieces of tissue so I left them behind my rocks and they have grown quite a bit. In a few months they should be sellable.

From Wed-Fri I wasn't at work and had a co-worker look after my tank. He's one of my friends and he is a nice guy but he forgets to add water to my tank any time I'm not there. I went into work today just to check up on things as well as do my 6 month sump/equipment maintenance only to find out the water was very low and getting close to the return pump. If I didn't go in all memorial weekend it could have been pretty bad.

So, ATO and BRS doser are hopefully in my future soon for keeping my water level steady, even when I'm not there, as well as Alk stable.

• 2 weeks later...

How many pounds of pukani did you use? Sorry if I missed this information.

Lookin' good B) .

Thanks

A few posts up it shows my BRS order and I bought 12lbs. I honestly only used maybe 8. I asked for football size pieces and received 3 of those and 2 smaller pieces. I also cut the bottoms off 4 rocks so there was rock that I never used but ordering around 15lbs for this size tank will help your aquascape as you can pick and choose some of the better pieces they send you. You can always put the extra in a sump or sell it.

Tanks like these make me want to downgrade. Awesome!

Could I get a picture of how you have your bio pellets, gfo, and carbon set up? I was looking to do the same thing. Don't bio pellets need a lot of flow? Carbon slower flow? And gfo needs to tumble? Just curious what you did to make it work.

This tank just looks crazy awesome! :-)

Appreciate it nidding!!

Tanks like these make me want to downgrade. Awesome! Could I get a picture of how you have your bio pellets, gfo, and carbon set up? I was looking to do the same thing. Don't bio pellets need a lot of flow? Carbon slower flow? And gfo needs to tumble? Just curious what you did to make it work.

I use the dual BRS reactor. They run off a single pump. The first chamber is just biopellets. A valve is used to control the amount of flow going into the chamber to get them to slowly tumble. The next chamber is GFO and carbon mixed. You want GFO to usually tumble slowly so that it doesnt stick together and form a large rock. But when its mixed with carbon is can't clump together. Both medias are mixed and held in place with sponges. This keeps them from moving and grinding up into dust but still forces all the water to pass through.

• Like 1