Coral Vue Hydros

Bought a frag of Hawkins from a local club member back in Dec. It was dead by the next morning. Tissue was white or peeling away. He was gracious enough to replace it for me as soon as we could meet up again. Fast forward 4+ months and we both had free time during a weekend and I picked up the largest "frag" in my tank. It is bigger than my psammacora that I've had for over a year and he gave it to me for free.

Such a nice guy!

This one has done a lot better. It has already been 5 days and the color is still great and all of the tissue is doing well. He said lots of other club members lost Hawkins frags that he sold to them as well. He figured it was due to his use of a calcium reactor and him having low ph. Anyone that did an acclimation of an hour or less, as well as using harsh coral dips just killed the frag. This one I risked not dipping and acclimated for 2 hours. But with it being such a nice piece it was worth it.

I also think I missed posting a picture of a new orange torch I got from someone as well. We had a similar situation where we couldn't meet easily. He is part of the Twin Cities club but lived over 2 hours away, and worked nights and weekends. It wasn't until he made a trip up to a LFS in the cities and I had a weekday off for the exchange to happen.

I'll post pictures of both things tomorrow.

And the bigger news is the local Twin Cities, MN swap is coming next Saturday May 4th!! I'm running low on spots to put coral so these last few spots need to have knock out pieces.

With the demand of a mostly SPS and LPS tank my consumption of elements is going faster than my frequent large water changes. I've decided to do a kalk top off using a 50ml doser and digital timer. Hopefully this will keep up with the corals demands and put less pressure on the corals if I miss a day of RODI top offs. The weekends are already stressful enough for them let alone a 3-4 day vacation. Its about time I get this more automated.

Just read the whole thread. What a stunning, beautiful tank. Well done :)

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!!

Can't wait to see the Hawkins. Wish I could find some around here.

It is such a unique looking SPS. And it also seems to have very wide pricing. There are people that want $50-70+ for a tiny frag, and there are guys like the one in my local club that have colonies the size of basketballs that sell giant pieces for $10-20.

New Corals Pictures

nttvEPP.jpg

The orange torch I picked up about 2-3 weeks ago. It took me a few months to get a single head but it was worth it. Its becoming my favorite coral more and more every day. It was a little brown and the tentacles had a stripe down them. They must not have been getting enough random movement and were only lit on one side. They are slowly turning a solid orange all over and it looks stunning with only blue LEDs.

And the new Hawkins Blue Enchinata!

jtDGDK7.jpg

As well as a top down blue only shot

S9rrq3R.jpg

You can also see the green hammer in the back left has really grown. It was just a single head last summer.

• Like 8
Jackal_Knight

that orange torch is amazing I'm gonna have to go on look out for one of those

I have a question about your overflow screen cover thing, how easy are yours to get off? i got mine a few days ago and it comes off the bulk head pretty easy. I'm just wondering if your are the same or you have really try and get the sucker off.

wow thats great piece of hawkins. thats quite a large piece too

Ya its colony sized for a nano :D

Damn you. Now I want sps.

You can always try. Do the lps corals and then a hardy sps to see if your system is capable.

that orange torch is amazing I'm gonna have to go on look out for one of those

I have a question about your overflow screen cover thing, how easy are yours to get off? i got mine a few days ago and it comes off the bulk head pretty easy. I'm just wondering if your are the same or you have really try and get the sucker off.

Thanks! I mentioned it in Tankers thread as well. The screens just rest on the bulkheads. They aren't super snug, but I've never had one fall off into the water. I just use my fingers to pry them off for easy cleaning and pop them back on.

Wicked photos Mr Jim!

What do you attribute the Hammer growth to?

Who is this Mr Jim? lol

I have no idea on the hammer, all of my corals grow super slow except for that one. Maybe because its in a corner and gets very little flow and lower light. IDK

Who is this Mr Jim? lol

I have no idea on the hammer, all of my corals grow super slow except for that one. Maybe because its in a corner and gets very little flow and lower light. IDK

LOL it's from the VW Beetle Superbowl commercial. Cool thanks... my torch has barely grown since I purchased it and actually doesn't extend half as much as it used to. I will try moving it to a lower light area and see what happens. Thanks.

LOL it's from the VW Beetle Superbowl commercial. Cool thanks... my torch has barely grown since I purchased it and actually doesn't extend half as much as it used to. I will try moving it to a lower light area and see what happens. Thanks.

Ahhh ya man, the land of ten taaawsand lakes. The gopha state.

The Twin Cities saltwater expo and frag swap is today! Hopefully I walk away with a few of the last pieces I've been looking for. fingerscrossed

• Like 3

Awesome tank~

Thank you!!

TWIN CITIES FRAG SWAP

Oh ya! Picked up 4 corals, all of which were on my list! Two varieties of orange Leptoseris, One orange Pavona, and a maze brain with tiny ridges. The brain is a big colony that I will need to frag into 2-3 pieces. I'll keep one for myself and sell the other two and hopefully recoup all of the cost I paid for it.

They are acclimating now so after that I will take pictures and post when I get home.

• Like 1

sounds good man. excited to see them :D

They are coming soon, promise

Awesome tank! How deep is your sandbed?

Less than an half an inch in most places, its just for decoration.

Fts? Thanks.

Patience, I will release a new FTS on monday when I can glue down the new frags

This is such an amazing tank! Keep up the good work. I like it!

Appreciate that NOOZE!! Glad you like it.

The frag pictures are done but I unfortunately can't post them until tomorrow. I spent the whole evening with the wife to make up for the personal time I had this afternoon. They look great though. So coral shots tomorrow, FTS on monday!!

• Like 1