ReefCleaners.org

stellar reef, congratulations!

have you had any issues with phosphate leaching from the Pukani?

other than the acid bath and pressure washing what else did you do to cure the rock?

again, congratulations on a beautiful and successful reef

Thank you!

The acid bath definitely helps. There is so much brown sludge that foams up after you do it. After you've rinsed them and have them in your tank to cycle use GFO to control the phosphates and keep them at low levels.

The green and brown algae will still form but that is just part of a new tank.

Once you get past the early algae stages and keep your nutrients in check it is really great rock.

• Like 1

Getting ready to introduce the newest member to the crew.

HY95mRA.jpg

Drip acclimating plus egg crate dividing the tank so he isn't bullied right away. New pictures later this week.

• Like 5

God, there are some days I just feel like giving up.

I did everything. Super slow drip acclimation, separated the fish, lights out for the entire first day, made sure he got food and he still passed away before my eyes today.

This box of water is depressing.

• Like 1
Kfmmartin19

Sorry bro, I don't have good luck with fish either (or coral for that matter ) lol

Recently some ppl r saying that long acclimation periods may be doing more harm than good because it puts so much more additional stress on the fish...just something to keep in mind, idk if its true

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss, such a pretty fish. It's even more painful because you went above and beyond what most people do to help acclimate the little guy and it still didn't work. Keep you head up.

Drip acclimation's doesn't make sense to me, especially for fish. You put this fish in a small container where the oxygen levels could deplete very quickly. Then the temperature of the drip container will be trying to reach room temperature, which is generally a lot lower than your tank temperature. The fish is then put into the display tank or quarantine tank at a higher temperature, I think that would be a bit of a shock for more sensitive fish. I don't know, I'm no expert I've dripped and not dripped. I think for fish it's better to open the bags and drop them in the tank to temperature acclimate then net and release.

masterbuilder

Scorched,

Planning to have a tank made similar to yours and plan to use your type of overflow. One thing I missed after going thru your build is, when I drill the hole for the overflow how far is the center of the 1" overflow bulkhead from the top of your tank. The rest I understand....hopefully. :)

Thanks

Mark

Scorched,

Planning to have a tank made similar to yours and plan to use your type of overflow. One thing I missed after going thru your build is, when I drill the hole for the overflow how far is the center of the 1" overflow bulkhead from the top of your tank. The rest I understand....hopefully. :)

Thanks

Mark

Good luck with your new tank.

If you want to do this style get the drain as high as possible. And for me that was so the bulkhead + the screen (Which adds maybe an 1/8") are even with the glass rim. I didnt do anything fancier than that. So when you have the bulkhead in hand just measure the radius + a tiny bit extra for the screen and that should be the center point for the drill. As long as the glass is the thicker variety you are fine drilling that close to the edge. I wouldn't do this to those cheapo standard 10 gallon tanks.

If you think of any other questions don't hesitate to ask. The answers are probably in this thread somewhere but they may be hard to find or I may have replied to a PM and post the response here as well.

Just some advice as I don't remember if you purchased this fish online or not...

Don't drip fish that have been shipped. As pH lowers in the bag due to CO2 build up, it reduces the affects of ammonia excreted into the water during transit. When you oxygenate (open bag to acclimate), you are raising the pH of the water and thus allowing the ammonia to affect the fish. A drip acclimation for shipped fish is actually detrimental in this situation as it suddenly makes ammonia potent.

If you must acclimate your fish, do so by making some water that is the same as the shipping water and float the bag. Then transfer to the freshly made water and THEN begin drip acclimation to your actual tank parameters.

Personally, I only float the bag before adding to QT. If I know the usual water parameters of the vendor, I make the water to the specifications, but otherwise I don't worry about it.

That said, sometimes fish just die.

• Like 1

Nice. Especially like the 'scape and coral placement.

Thank you! My goal has been an artistic natural look I guess. Everything is mounted directly to the rocks in a natural way while still splitting up colors and shapes.

Sorry about the angel... Congrats on 100 followers though! :D

It's ok. I was pushing my fish limit already. Its just telling me to focus on the tank and corals instead since they do need a bit more love as of late. I know thats awesome, I saw it was at 98 or 99 yesterday, Congrats on all of your followers as well, when you posted about it it reminded me to subscribe as well. Its easier to follow builds here than on TCMAS. The site is still great but things could always be made better.

So sorry to hear about the angel. Two steps forward, 1 step back has been my experience with this hobby :blink:

Somethings are just not meant to be. Time to focus on the corals instead. Get them more colorful and add a few new shapes/colors.

It's ok. I was pushing my fish limit already. Its just telling me to focus on the tank and corals instead since they do need a bit more love as of late. I know thats awesome, I saw it was at 98 or 99 yesterday, Congrats on all of your followers as well, when you posted about it it reminded me to subscribe as well. Its easier to follow builds here than on TCMAS. The site is still great but things could always be made better.

Thanks for subbing me as well! That's why Im almost always on here easier to make my thread how I want and LOTS more people to talk to! Not to mention easier to sell stuff and not have to go super cheep. I would use TCMAS more but they wont do the unlimited edits. It seemed to be catching on for a while then the idea got flamed on by the old timers. Now I just update that thread once a month with a photo dump! If and when that nem splits on you I would be more than happy to come pick up a split and see your tank in person! How do you feel the Midas does in there? I really like them but they seem a bit big and your tank has alot more swimming room than mine.

• Like 1

This tank is absolutely stunning, I showed it to a old buddy of mine who has been out of the hobby for a while and he really wants the 12 long now.

Unfortunately he is unemployed at the moment but when he does decide to get it up and running this will be a good place to get the ideas.

Once again, GREAT TANK

• Like 1

Thanks for subbing me as well! That's why Im almost always on here easier to make my thread how I want and LOTS more people to talk to! Not to mention easier to sell stuff and not have to go super cheep. I would use TCMAS more but they wont do the unlimited edits. It seemed to be catching on for a while then the idea got flamed on by the old timers. Now I just update that thread once a month with a photo dump! If and when that nem splits on you I would be more than happy to come pick up a split and see your tank in person! How do you feel the Midas does in there? I really like them but they seem a bit big and your tank has alot more swimming room than mine.

The anemone keeps getting slightly bigger and doesn't look to be showing any signs of splitting. If it starts to get big enough to kill other corals I'll split it manually.

You are more than welcome to the clone when either happens as well as checking out the tank. I have a club meeting at the office on Oct 24th. Its on the TCMAS members page but the calender has me for Nov 21st... it needs to be updated by a mod soon. You are welcome to check it out then as well if you are close to the cities that evening.

The midas is great! He is a little mean due to his size, but it balances well with a clown that grew up in the tank as well as the more aggressive pseudo. Half the time he just peeks out of a hole in the live rock, but other times he cruises back and forth, so they do need the swimming length when they are out and about.

This tank is absolutely stunning, I showed it to a old buddy of mine who has been out of the hobby for a while and he really wants the 12 long now.

Unfortunately he is unemployed at the moment but when he does decide to get it up and running this will be a good place to get the ideas.

Once again, GREAT TANK

Thanks Shane, love your Midas avatar!

When he gets situated again I would love to see what he does with the tank as well. It definitely is a unique style tank. Very small volume with the illusion that it is much larger.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ya updates!!

I check the forum once and awhile but I've just been too busy lately to get new photos up.

New Porcelain Crab

My clown has never shown interest in the bubble tip anemone so I figured it was time to get a cool symbiotic relationship going,

fT5KoJx.jpg

uLBql2j.jpg

Sticking out his cool floating debris grabbers

August FTS

hy5WcIR.jpg

I've put this photo right next the last FTS and while I can see growth on lots of corals, and notice the few small additions and loses, not much has really changed.

Midas was a little shy this month, see if you can spot him.

• Like 9

July-Aug Pictures

Aug FTS is on post #622 or the front page.

Frogspawn sent out some long tentacles and the duncan grabbed one and never let go. A few weeks prior to this the torch did the same and the frogspawn grabbed 1-2. The frogspawn has now inherited a few of these super long tentacles without the bumps making the right most head similar to a torch coral.

kyhqQV2.jpg

2TxYezm.jpg

vraVGW5.jpg

OMG Midas!!

nPBJQ5h.jpg

Black Background Style

This was done using a large piece of construction paper taped to the back. I want to eventually get a piece of matte acrylic cut to size to easily switch back and forth. I like the look of the black but only for a few days. Its just cool to change it up once and awhile.

qZgUeTD.jpg

RHGQYWN.jpg

UsdOUT2.jpg

• Like 7