SaltCritters.com

3 hours ago, Hexadron said:

You have the tank at home now right? What was your biggest challenge having it at work previously?

Correct.  The tank is currently in the basement of our house.  Its a small room that is my "home office"

The hardest part of having the tank at work was Christmas vacation or any time I took time off that was more than 3-4 days.  A weekend was fine.  The fish were fed on Friday and again Monday morning and they were great.  However for Christmas vacation it would sometimes land in the middle of the week and that would cause our company to take the whole or most of the week off.  If that tied in with weekends that could mean the company was closed or few people were there for 10+ days in a row.  I would have to make time randomly to drive into work just to feed the fish and refill the ATO tank.  Sometimes I'd do a water change but I usually left those to times when I was working so I could make sure everything was correct before leaving and not have to worry about coming back days later to find water on the floor or something not turned on correctly.

The second hard part was doing water changes.  I always tried to do them after work so it didn't interfere with anything work related.  However as time went on I ended up having kids and other duties to get home to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Scorched I gotta say, having scaped a couple of these bookshelf tanks now (albeit for planted setups), I am all the more impressed and truly awestruck at how beautifully you've brought this system together (and I suppose also 'back' together).

You sir, are one gifted reefer!
Cheers,

P.s. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this system - it is an inspiration to nano-reefers all of the world!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

@Scorched I gotta say, having scaped a couple of these bookshelf tanks now (albeit for planted setups), I am all the more impressed and truly awestruck at how beautifully you've brought this system together (and I suppose also 'back' together).

You sir, are one gifted reefer!
Cheers,

P.s. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this system - it is an inspiration to nano-reefers all of the world!!!

Thanks Thomas!!

One of these days I need to get a video edited together for #BRStvReacts 😛

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Scorched said:

Thanks Thomas!!

One of these days I need to get a video edited together for #BRStvReacts 😛

Really we #BRSTV special episode on your amazing sump/plumbing/cabinet layout. Still to this day on of the best and most creative systems out there (of any tank size). 

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...
18 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

NIIIIIIIICE

I know.  Finally got my butt in gear to shoot and and edit something together.  The next video will come much faster and be the long awaited sump / equipment video.

• Like 3
mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, Scorched said:

I know.  Finally got my butt in gear to shoot and and edit something together.  The next video will come much faster and be the long awaited sump / equipment video.

hey, amazing video man!  you didn't show the light, still rocking the NB quad, or have you moved on to something else due to shadow issue a while back?

Just now, mitten_reef said:

hey, amazing video man!  you didn't show the light, still rocking the NB quad, or have you moved on to something else due to shadow issue a while back?

The quality of the light was great.  Colors of the corals were the best, however it gave me fairly harsh shadows and didn't light the left and right very well.  I switched back to my huge 36" China Custom LED fixture I used on my previous 12g and it was giving me better coverage, colors were maybe a bit lacking in the orange or teal color though.

This light however is neither of those and is hung very high.  So high you can't see it in the video and was purposely edited out whenever you saw a glimpse of it or its reflection 😉

• Like 1
mitten_reef
8 minutes ago, Scorched said:

The quality of the light was great.  Colors of the corals were the best, however it gave me fairly harsh shadows and didn't light the left and right very well.  I switched back to my huge 36" China Custom LED fixture I used on my previous 12g and it was giving me better coverage, colors were maybe a bit lacking in the orange or teal color though.

This light however is neither of those and is hung very high.  So high you can't see it in the video and was purposely edited out whenever you saw a glimpse of it or its reflection 😉

sent you a DM on insta.  light coloration looks great...you're going to a great length to conceal its identity, 🤔?

34 minutes ago, Scorched said:

Hahahahaha, oh dear... working with secret unreleased equipment again, huh? Well, there's tons of light fixtures out there; "sky's the limit" as they say! 
Can't wait to see what it is though! I have to agree, the tank looks phenomenal! Very natural, and lots of color and movement without harsh shadows.

• Haha 3

@TJ_Burton I tried looking through your posts and I don't see anything on your new tank (The one thats behind / next to you in the BRS videos)

How is that tank going?  Does it have corals or fish yet.  It looked wet and and had a scape the last video I saw. 

EDIT - Just watched todays (March 1 2021) and I see a few fish and 1-2 corals.   Any plans to share its setup here or on a BRS video?

• Like 1

Scorched, Very nice setup you've got there! The whole look is very minimalistic which I am a big fan of. The coral and fish all look happy and colorful. Impressive! Great job👍

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, tmc1313 said:

Scorched, Very nice setup you've got there! The whole look is very minimalistic which I am a big fan of. The coral and fish all look happy and colorful. Impressive! Great job👍

Thanks tmc1313!  The minimalist look was my primary goal for the last 9 years and I'm still happy with the configuration to this day.

4 hours ago, Scorched said:

@TJ_Burton I tried looking through your posts and I don't see anything on your new tank (The one thats behind / next to you in the BRS videos)

How is that tank going?  Does it have corals or fish yet.  It looked wet and and had a scape the last video I saw.  

Good question!
I don't think I ever started a build thread or anything like that. It's been tough to find the time to keep up with the forums and stuff with all the video content constantly rolling out.

That said, here is my quick update for ya!
Tank has been running for a long while now, but just recently added some corals and have added more fish. Been dealing with some green algae issues, but par for the course when starting with dry rock. Thankfully no diatoms or dino issues though!

For fish, I currently have...

1. Pair of Davinci Clowns (Extreme & B Grade)
  2. Striated Surgeonfish (ctenochaetus striatus)
  3. Fairy Wrasse sp. (purchased as "Exquisite" female, but more likely it is a Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis)
  4. Orchid Dottyback
  5. Pair of Pyjama Cardinals
  6. Starry Blenny

For inverts,

1. Halloween Urchin
  2. Trochus Snails
  3. Nerite Snails
  4. Astrea Snails
  5. Nassarius Snails

For corals.

1. Green Australian Toadstool Leather
  2. Green Australian Cabbage Coral
  3. Green Frogspawn
  4. Orange Rhodactus frag
  5. Bubblegum Monti frag
  6. Purple Stylo frag
  7. Green Digi frag
  8. Teal Birdsnest frag
  9. Green Pavona frag
  10. AOG frag (6 polyps or so)

That is it for now! Slow and steady, but hopefully will fill up nicely over the next few months and I can really start enjoying the grow out!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing build in both beauty and longevity!

How do you find the bulkhead screens to work? I thought it would be fun to sump my pico but I don’t want to spend $100+ on an overflow. Are they really loud and gurgling? That was my only real concern. 

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late but Marc Levenson (melev) posted a tank video of my reef a few weeks ago.  He stopped over at my house in the Spring of 2019 while he was in town for a reef club presentation.   We chatted about reef tanks while he shot some video of my tank.  It took him awhile to edit it together and post it to youtube but almost all of the equipment and how the tank works is still current.  The corals have changed slightly or grown, you can compare them to the video I shot and posted above.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

What an awesome in depth video of one of my all time fav reef tanks! 

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

😱😱😱 Wow!!! Just incredible! Thanks for posting. 

Thanks guys!  Ya Marc gets the views.  Already 20k on his video in a week, mine barely got to 2k

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I watched it twice 😂. Marc makes great videos I’ve been a follower of his for years. I really hope he gets the new 20,000 gallon reef video edited/posted soon.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...