Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Okay. Does that mean the zoo have to be a particular kind, to show up as a particular color?

Its a hypothesis.

Its very plausible that it looks the way it does because you made it look that way(It doesnt even look like the DFS Raspberry Limeade Subulata it once was).

Hence Katropora is very fitting.

Needs more research. I wonder what it will do in a heavily feed ZeoVit Hybrid filtered frag tank./smile

Its a hypothesis.

Its very plausible that it looks the way it does because you made it look that way(It doesnt even look like the DFS Raspberry Limeade Subulata it once was).

Hence Katropora is very fitting.

Needs more research. I wonder what it will do in a heavily feed ZeoVit Hybrid filtered frag tank./smile

To be fair though, DFS pictures are always heavy on the purple and blue and the actual corals look different. I have heard this repeatedly from people that buy corals regularly from them. Having said that, the Katropora (so coined by Markalot BTW) does seem to change colors in the different tanks it finds a home in. The closest to my original is Kleins tank, although it is a bit on the light side. Your hypothesis about zoo might not be too far fetched. I also feed live zoo, the algagen product occasionally. Perhaps that changes coral colors as well.

• Like 1

To be fair though, DFS pictures are always heavy on the purple and blue and the actual corals look different. I have heard this repeatedly from people that buy corals regularly from them. Having said that, the Katropora (so coined by Markalot BTW) does seem to change colors in the different tanks it finds a home in. The closest to my original is Kleins tank, although it is a bit on the light side. Your hypothesis about zoo might not be too far fetched. I also feed live zoo, the algagen product occasionally. Perhaps that changes coral colors as well.

the lightening of the coral could have just been a poor quality picture, but i won't know for sure how the color is doing until i go home for christmas.

for now, this is the best reference i have..

15426382859_738f492623_b.jpgIMG_7565.jpg by xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

my system does tend to run a little clean, so that might be another way to tell if nutrients will have any impact.

• Like 2

The hell you put green corals behind the katropora, you should be ashamed of yourself! Color wheel! http://www.reefs.com/magazine/111388-aesthetics-aquascaping-part-2-a.html

:P

i have no control on what goes where. hahaha i'm 1700 miles away from my tank. :P

Ze Tank. Rimless, 50L. Starphire on ALL 4 sides. :)

Tank%2520with%2520overflow.jpg

i'm having trouble believing this since you've been so reluctant to upgrade. suspicious...

• Like 1

i have no control on what goes where. hahaha i'm 1700 miles away from my tank. :P

i'm having trouble believing this since you've been so reluctant to upgrade. suspicious...

Well, I was going to do a whole post about my reasons why in the new thread. But at the end of it all, I simply got really fed up really fast of the rounded corners of the RSM I have. That and the Kat not being able to be viewed unless i sit in a chair. It is sticking out of the water, it needs to be it's own island. The new tank does not give me more space, just more volume of water. The dimensions will probably make me throw out some of my display rock. I'm most nervous about the aquascaping part.

• Like 1

oh the santamonica scrubbers. Yes I've seen those, I don;t fancy a big black thing obstructing my view. I know he has a nano version. It's not cool enough. Have you seen ARID by Pax Bellum?

It's a mother scrubber. They are currently testing a nano size, still in Beta testing phase.

10326589_273112659529261_1798455831_a.jp

arid2.jpg

prototype2-3.jpg

photo.jpg

array.jpg

• Like 2

Holy algae batman! I've always liked scrubbed tanks. Thinking about doing the SURF scrubber in my sump. But this Arid has my attention

ya, ill just skim and vodka dose, looks too messy to clean out over my wood floors.

that works too.

Holy algae batman! I've always liked scrubbed tanks. Thinking about doing the SURF scrubber in my sump. But this Arid has my attention

The 23" is $350.

oh the santamonica scrubbers. Yes I've seen those, I don;t fancy a big black thing obstructing my view. I know he has a nano version. It's not cool enough. Have you seen ARID by Pax Bellum? It's a mother scrubber. They are currently testing a nano size, still in Beta testing phase.10326589_273112659529261_1798455831_a.jparid2.jpgprototype2-3.jpgphoto.jpgarray.jpg
Who is that D bag in the NY gear?

What's the point of a scrubber? I do a WC a week and run a little GFO each month and never have algae.

Well on smaller tanks I think water changes are plenty good. But when you get into bigger volumes of water with more fish algae becomes a problem. Scrubbers allow you to basically feed your fish more or maintain a slightly larger bio load and keep great water chemistry. I can't speak on the arid design. Everything that I have learned about algae scrubbers has come from my following Santa Monica. However you want to take that.

Don't know who the guy is. As for the scrubber, same reason to have a reactor, excess nutrient control. I'm not looking forward to making more water to do a change with the new tank. But I should wrap my mind around it and quit bitchin'

Well on smaller tanks I think water changes are plenty good. But when you get into bigger volumes of water with more fish algae becomes a problem. Scrubbers allow you to basically feed your fish more or maintain a slightly larger bio load and keep great water chemistry. I can't speak on the arid design. Everything that I have learned about algae scrubbers has come from my following Santa Monica. However you want to take that.
my drawing posted above is a waterfall type of scrubber. Simple to install.and while it won't get a dedicated light ,(at least not just yet), I hope that the algae bombs that go off in my fuge will have more surface area to growe. Time will tell, and I have built a replacement into the plans. If it doesn't work out, easy removal to go ba k to the original manifold.

Don't know who the guy is. As for the scrubber, same reason to have a reactor, excess nutrient control. I'm not looking forward to making more water to do a change with the new tank. But I should wrap my mind around it and quit bitchin'

my drawing posted above is a waterfall type of scrubber. Simple to install.and while it won't get a dedicated light ,(at least not just yet), I hope that the algae bombs that go off in my fuge will have more surface area to growe. Time will tell, and I have built a replacement into the plans. If it doesn't work out, easy removal to go ba k to the original manifold.

I change my water like once every month or so... I should get a low range phosphate kit to test what those are but nitrates are undetectable on a crappy test kit which is good enough for my purposes. My macro grows well though I should have some pics of them blimped out over the last 2 months some time this week.