SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

You can buy a lot of GFO for $350.. the 1200g container will likely last you a year.. and it's $80.

Or just dump more vinegar or vodka in, thats basically free.

jedimasterben

urchin ate almost all my Bryopsis but a high Mag level helped keep it at bay as well. at 1375 yesterday.

High magnesium does nothing for it or against it. The reason that people have success by raising magnesium, specifically with Kent Tech M, is because of the impurities in it.

And 1375ppm is nowhere near 'high'. ;)

• Like 3
I might raise my mag slowly, but I'm loathe to go this route in case it affects corals.
those nasty black spine urchins eat everything, and when there done, toss'em in the sump until u need him again.

My blue tuxedo urchins are amazing. I've upped my feeding dramatically since I've gotten them and there's no trace of algae anywhere. I think I may have to move one of them to the sump before things start starving.

• Like 1

To scrubber or not to scrubber, that is the question.

20141027_185258.jpg

good design . Scrubbing is fun, until it becomes like house work! The good thing about your design is you can stop and start whenever or if ever u choose

Me on the other hand, I have the skill to grow algae everywhere without a scrubber...sigh

• Like 2

good design . Scrubbing is fun, until it becomes like house work! The good thing about your design is you can stop and start whenever or if ever u choose

Me on the other hand, I have the skill to grow algae everywhere without a scrubber...sigh

I'd rather it grow where I want it to grow. I'm welcoming it with open arms. :)

those nasty black spine urchins eat everything, and when there done, toss'em in the sump until u need him again.

The ones with the needle spines or thick spines? Because my buddy Vinny has a thick spine urchin has has GHA growing ON him. He's a walking moss ball.

Urchins are such cool creatures, I question how good they would be at getting between corals though because of their shape. Or are they magicians that way? :lol:

They are incredibly cool. And that is a very good question! They're unwieldy as far as I can see so how do they do it?!

My blue tuxedo urchins are amazing. I've upped my feeding dramatically since I've gotten them and there's no trace of algae anywhere. I think I may have to move one of them to the sump before things start starving.

They will go for the juicy stuff first. The bryopsis doesn't seem to be as interesting to them. My turbos were doing a very good job keeping some other kinds of algae in check, the skunk cleaners and hermits killed them off as well as the nerites one by one.

The lights they use on that scrubber are just the cheap led strips you can buy in Ebay. I bought a strip to use as moonlights over my 40. Not bad, but very low power and even if that's a heatsink on top it's not doing anything except adding weight.

I am guessing here, but I think she plans to make the back wall designed behind the glass. If she didn't put it on all 4 sides the back wall would look "off"

I know my Mag was not "high" but it was higher than I expected for never testing it and only doing WC every few weeks.

Question: Marine pure or matrix to sit around in the sump?

I was thinking of trying siporax, it seems to be the favorite but marine pure looks good too. Decision decisions...

eh.. close enough, doesn't look bad.

push reeeally really hard, or buy loc-line assembly pliars. You can put the non-ball end into some hot water for about 10 seconds to help with the pushing. I usually take the hard route :)

• Like 3

push reeeally really hard, or buy loc-line assembly pliars. You can put the non-ball end into some hot water for about 10 seconds to help with the pushing. I usually take the hard route :)

yep.

jedimasterben

winkyface

• Like 2

I wanted to make one too, except I don't know how, exactly, I would do it. I was going ot use a phosban reactor canister.

TLF Phosban 150.

Wrap it in flexible white and red LEDs, red green white, they are RBG so try any color you want. The worse the CRI the better. Ben says violets work great, but they dont come on the cheap LED flexible strips.

Get some black ABS pipe to fit. End cap for the bottom if desired

Put a rolled up plastic canvas inside around the inside tube.

Get some thick carbon cloth filter material. Cut out two disks, cut small X in center.

Slide Carbon filter disk down the center pipe. Then the TLF black foam matrix disk.

Slide your plastic canvas tube down the center flow tube.

Add "seed" algae, use some nuisance algae you already have in tank.

TLF foam matrix disk.

Second Carbon filter disk.

Hook up to pump. Wrap TLF 150 with the low voltage led strip. Slide ABS light shield over this. ABS end cap, dremel or file notches for 1/2 tubing.

Secure with Velcro strap or tie strap. Turn it on.

I would consider the LEDs expendable or consumable. You're going to get salt water on them, and they will fry, make sure they are fused properly.

If it grows too fast, upgrade to 550. Maybe $50 for a fun experimental project.

• Like 1

Yeah so Bogi's birthday presents arrived. A jumbo hooded litter box and a nesting pet bed. Took us about 3 hours to give up the box the bed came in to get into the bed. He's still not quite comfortable in it, it's rather cozy and he is a big cat, but he has to find a spot which he hasn't quite done yet. At least he's in it! He was getting some yelling.

20141104_123149.jpg

20141104_123247.jpg

20141104_131945.jpg

20141104_133029.jpg

TLF Phosban 150.

Wrap it in flexible white and red LEDs, red green white, they are RBG so try any color you want. The worse the CRI the better. Ben says violets work great, but they dont come on the cheap LED flexible strips.

Get some black ABS pipe to fit. End cap for the bottom if desired

Put a rolled up plastic canvas inside around the inside tube.

Get some thick carbon cloth filter material. Cut out two disks, cut small X in center.

Slide Carbon filter disk down the center pipe. Then the TLF black foam matrix disk.

Slide your plastic canvas tube down the center flow tube.

Add "seed" algae, use some nuisance algae you already have in tank.

TLF foam matrix disk.

Second Carbon filter disk.

Hook up to pump. Wrap TLF 150 with the low voltage led strip. Slide ABS light shield over this. ABS end cap, dremel or file notches for 1/2 tubing.

Secure with Velcro strap or tie strap. Turn it on.

I would consider the LEDs expendable or consumable. You're going to get salt water on them, and they will fry, make sure they are fused properly.

If it grows too fast, upgrade to 550. Maybe $50 for a fun experimental project.

So wrap the outside in LEDs?

• Like 2
Dr.Brain Coral

JedimasterBen you beat me to it!! A girl at my high school said just about the same thing so I said "Sarah likes that Hard stuff", I tormented her the whole year with that haha. Good times

• Like 1