Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I think this will work for application #2. Does it come in gray?
Yes it comes in grey. All of these can be found if you have a Lowes in the irrigation isle. I use them all the time on irrigation systems.
  • Like 2

Yes it comes in grey. All of these can be found if you have a Lowes in the irrigation isle. I use them all the time on irrigation systems.

do they have 1 inch sizes at lowes, I can't remember seeing anything that large. I guess I could stop being lazy and check the website.

looks good, whenever I buy plumbing stuff, I invariably redesign it mid making it and end up purchasing at least 100 extra pieces that I store in boxes because I am too lazy to return them.
I always buy my stuff at Lowes or the irrigation supply and I over buy :)

do they have 1 inch sizes at lowes, I can't remember seeing anything that large. I guess I could stop being lazy and check the website.
Yep it's in the isle with the irrigation heads 2 isles from the PVC fittings at my Lowes.
  • Like 1

Yep it's in the isle with the irrigation heads 2 isles from the PVC fittings at my Lowes.

My local only has the freakin orbit stuff listed on their website on irrigation. I know theres more in store though. I am going to have to go on a hunt next time.

I did have a fun time finding a place that had a 5/8hb to 1/2hb reducer for hooking up an inline heater on my return last time and ended up ordering it off amazon for some stupid mark up on it. Seriously looked everywhere and the only in stock option was there... sad

Kat

Manifold looks good. Why so many threaded fittings though? You could make the same manifold from pvc with elbows and T fittings all glued together. I've never been a fan of threaded fittings, but maybe it's easier for you?

• Like 2

Would def be cheaper with slip fittings. Couldn't be more then 3-5 bucks for the fittings and stuff. Most expensive thing is the true Union valves. Don't go crazy and buy really expensive valves for the manifold. Lowes has true Union ball valves for like 5.00 each. That's where mine are from. They work great and have not locked up or anything. Still easy to turn.

• Like 1

Oh, thanks for the tip, the prices I found were around $17 each

:wacko: you need a man in your life :lol:

Kat Manifold looks good. Why so many threaded fittings though? You could make the same manifold from pvc with elbows and T fittings all glued together. I've never been a fan of threaded fittings, but maybe it's easier for you?

I hate threaded fittings give me slip to slip and the glue.
  • Like 3

#winning....

I hate threaded fittings give me slip to slip and the glue.

Threaded have their place (like anytime you're penetrating glass), but I agree for permanent installations, slip and glue.
  • Like 3

:slap: I'll put that on my must have list - a guy that struts like a boss down that black hole of an aisle at the plumbing department at Home Depot. You know I was there the other day and that same damn plumber was there watching me try to find schedule 80. Oh! Of course they don't have it. At least I escaped without speaking to him.

• Like 2
:slap: I'll put that on my must have list - a guy that struts like a boss down that black hole of an aisle at the plumbing department at Home Depot. You know I was there the other day and that same damn plumber was there watching me try to find schedule 80. Oh! Of course they don't have it. At least I escaped without speaking to him.
See if you had a blue collar stud he would of told you that before he got out of his recliner throne :).
  • Like 1

Back to plumbing. again. Bulkheads. BRS has so many diff kinds, which one to use?

Slip slip

thread thread

thread slip

slip thread

ot the sch 80?

If the return is 3/4 inch and I use a 3/4 inch bulkhead, the part sticking out the top and the bottom is what ID now? Still 3/4 or does it get reduced?

Back to plumbing. again. Bulkheads. BRS has so many diff kinds, which one to use?

Slip slip

thread thread

thread slip

slip thread

ot the sch 80?

If the return is 3/4 inch and I use a 3/4 inch bulkhead, the part sticking out the top and the bottom is what ID now? Still 3/4 or does it get reduced?

I feel so unmanly after reading this post.

jedimasterben

Slip you need to glue. Threaded you need to be friends with Teflon tape.

3/4" is the inner diameter of the pipe, so a 3/4" bulkhead will need 3/4" plumbing.

What I have, and what I would recommend to use, is slip on the flange side (this is the side that has the gasket and sits on the inside of the tank) and threaded on the other side. This way, you only need to stick the drain/return plumbing into the top (you do not need to glue these) for easy removal and cleaning if need be, and the bottom is threaded so that if you need for any reason to change the plumbing you do not need to purchase a new bulkhead.

• Like 1

Slip you need to glue. Threaded you need to be friends with Teflon tape.

3/4" is the inner diameter of the pipe, so a 3/4" bulkhead will need 3/4" plumbing.

What I have, and what I would recommend to use, is slip on the flange side (this is the side that has the gasket and sits on the inside of the tank) and threaded on the other side. This way, you only need to stick the drain/return plumbing into the top (you do not need to glue these) for easy removal and cleaning if need be, and the bottom is threaded so that if you need for any reason to change the plumbing you do not need to purchase a new bulkhead.

Okay. but wouldn't threaded be better on the flange side? What if pulling up or pushing down the pipe on the slip fitting causes stress?

jedimasterben

Okay. but wouldn't threaded be better on the flange side? What if pulling up or pushing down the pipe on the slip fitting causes stress?

Downward pressure is not going to cause issues (as otherwise putting water into the tank would cause it to crack). Not to say that it's ok to pound the plumbing with a hammer from the top or anything, but 'normal' installation and such will not cause issues.

I rather enjoy your cut & paste layouts for the projects you are working on. It is both adorable and practical for someone who isn't as seasoned with MSPaint as myself... lol

• Like 3

Lowes has true Union ball valves for like 5.00 each. That's where mine are from. They work great and have not locked up or anything. Still easy to turn.

I don't see any gray ones on their site.

I rather enjoy your cut & paste layouts for the projects you are working on. It is both adorable and practical for someone who isn't as seasoned with MSPaint as myself... lol

oh but have you seen my CAD drawings? :)

• Like 1