Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

She will also need to factor flow from the manifold to the refugium .

yep more subtraction there refugiums are usually low turnover right like 1x refugium volume per hour or so?

• Like 1

Yes usually very low turn over, and then an addition of a power head to prevent ditritus settlement. At least thats how i do it

its probably kinda negligable then the refugiums probably going to be about 10g or so to 10gph to that aswell, so like 265 gph would be headed to the display in this scenario.

And that's just a touch over 5 times

Q - shouldn;t sump volume be a part of this 5X equation?

nope, thats sump turnover not display turnover some people base all the return pump flow rate off sump turnover.

Plumbing is so complicated, lol. It sounds so simple, but trying to calculate not only the overflow amount, but the return pump/height flow rate, and now the fuge rate? I hadn't even thought of the fuge flow being different.

Plumbing is so complicated, lol. It sounds so simple, but trying to calculate not only the overflow amount, but the return pump/height flow rate, and now the fuge rate? I hadn't even thought of the fuge flow being different.

bernoullis equation, charts of k values for fittings, coefficients of friction for piping... sums up pretty much everything needed to be really mathematical about the design of a system, I find its easier to just estimate the total height oversize a pump and send excess flow back to the first chamber of the sump.

Water change pictures

Nekkid Kat-ropora :lol:

The whole colony is out of the water in this picture.

And the picture is corrupted also, my SD card in the phone is acting up.

20141003_173306.jpg

20141003_173151.jpg

Myagi Tort.

20141003_173251.jpg

Slimer, ORA Purple plasma, Leptastrea, Echinata, Reef Raft Jared's Prostrata, ORA red planet, and some others

20141003_173245.jpg

• Like 11

Just for Zeph: My last water change was the first week of September.

I got off my lazy derriere and did a water change. Siphoned the sand bed and made my bucket dirty.

Then I added "clarity" and "prime" to the tank while it went about it's business.

About to add some Dr Tims.

Microbakter7 later in the day maybe.

So about once per month, about 10%. Pretty standard. Thanks.

I thought standard was once a week.

you always add prime after water change and clarity and dr. Tim's?

Not really. If I see it I throw it in. :) Sometimes there is no method to my madness.

When I gravel vac the sandbed though, I mKe sure to add prime and the bacterias.

I thought standard was once a week.

Not really. If I see it I throw it in. :) Sometimes there is no method to my madness.

When I gravel vac the sandbed though, I mKe sure to add prime and the bacterias.

Most of us old timers have grown up with the once a month rule. I still consider water changes a disruption, but a requir d disruption. Prime is what caused your skimmer to start dumping water. It containes a slime coat that will drive yo skimmer nuts