inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

albertthiel

Point well taken but I did not want to get into a complex explanation about the actual process just point out that the starting point remains the same but yes a lot more goes on than what was generally seen as the major and only effect a few years ago ... we now also have near to anaerobic bacteria that are involved in the whole process as you point out ... I just wanted to alleviate Metrokat's major concerns ... and point out that it takes time and patience (and that has not changed :) )

Albert

mr. thiel is correct on the generalities, but knowledge regarding the specifics have undergone some exciting changes in literally just the last couple years. this has resulted in upending several conventional paradigms. data has shown that Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter are actually not prevalent in a reef environment, and the effects attributed to them are actually carried out by highly diverse bacterial consortia in biofilm communities, both outside and inside the rock. it isn't the species that is relevant, but the genes a bacterium carries. due to horizontal gene transfer, bacteria of highly diverse lineages are capable of nitrification and denitrification, even those that have not been previously characterized as doing so.

i believe that the conventional paradigm of attributing nitrogen cycle to Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter will persist for a very long time in our hobby. however, we have to start the correction somewhere! marine microbiology is a very exciting and fast-changing field these days.

welcome to nr mr thiel :welcome:

please feel free to venture into the makeshift lounge for some off topic conversations. we have a slightly childish sense of humor there, but the lounge is full of the best minds on the site. that may be hard to believe at first lol.

also we have a hot chicks thread

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Mr Thiel already asked about the lounge. If he ventures in there I will be right there with him with my arsenal so be careful what you wish for....

Charlie, the Yasha made an extended visit to the front of the tank today with Luger (his pistol) in tow.

Had to take a video since the sighting of Charlie is about as rare as a whale in Alaska.

Tank was being fed so excuse the schmutz but it's pretty detailed. Enjoy.

Mr Thiel already asked about the lounge. If he ventures in there I will be right there with him with my arsenal so be careful what you wish for....

We have our directives regarding this gentleman. He's free to find out on his own. You neednt bother though I suppose you could if you think you're up to the task

We have our directives regarding this gentleman. He's free to find out on his own. You neednt bother though I suppose you could if you think you're up to the task

Hi Nippy, how goes it?

albertthiel

Have not bee there yet as I do not know what link it is but with all the comments about it not sure whether I want to go there after reading the cautions :)

Albert

yeah i don't think he needs to be protected by some girl, i think he can handle himself

he either likes our style or doesn't, no biggie.

but i figured he'd probably have something interesting to say about many things, not just reef tanks

surgicalsense
He's so cute! His pistol is very tiny yet I can hear his snap in another room.

... it is cute.

Spot has doubled in size, I still think my YWG is small. I can't wait to see the mess of cirth shells and what-nots I am going to find in their den when I break the scape down :huh:

SerenityReef
Anybody considering going to MACNA in Dallas? Sept 28-30. I'm considering a day pass maybe. Just need to figure out my travel plans for that time of year first.

Would be cool if my ladies club decided to go so we can room together too.

You can stay with me, I have a suite in the complex!

I'm not wondering about the amount of shells that I'm guessing is around 10 ish, instead, I'm very interested in finding out how many plugs are in there, and seeing if any remnants of my 5 or so lost frags survived. My mushroom lived for about 4 months hidden in complete darkness behind my scape, and shrunk about 5 times it's purchase size. I finally found it one day and nursed it back. It grew regained color, and even budded new mushrooms. After all tht my pistol stole it :(.

albertthiel

I see. Must have missed part of the post

Yes Pistol shrimp will do that but they are not the only predators that can survive for a long time even in the dark and even without outside filtration IMELDA

Albert

I'm not wondering about the amount of shells that I'm guessing is around 10 ish, instead, I'm very interested in finding out how many plugs are in there, and seeing if any remnants of my 5 or so lost frags survived. My mushroom lived for about 4 months hidden in complete darkness behind my scape, and shrunk about 5 times it's purchase size. I finally found it one day and nursed it back. It grew regained color, and even budded new mushrooms. After all tht my pistol stole it :(.
albertthiel

Again my heartfelt Thanks for your very kind message and if there is anything I can help you with do not hesitate to ask. Although I have been out of the hobby personally I followed the developments on and off so I am not totally "lost" so to speak :)

Albert

Dear Mr Thiel,

I kid you not I have tears in my eyes just writing to you. Metrokat has just alerted me of your presence on her thread, and I told her I am speechless and need time to think about this and what to say. I told her I am not home and could not type an appropriate response on my phone, but she insisted i simply say hi for now, so here I am.

Let me just say when I was a youngster, all I had were my aquariums. I was a nerdy kid and didn't like sports, but I loved my aquariums. I would carry your books around with me everywhere I went. In the malls with my parents, etc. I kid you not. And Metrokat can vouch for me, that even now at the age of 45, i still Carry your book Advanced Reef Keeping around with me. You and Mr. Martin Moe were my heros, but especially you. You were a pioneer of our hobby. Your worked on your tanks, publicized your findings, and marketed high quality products that we all needed. If it had the word THIEL on it, it was the best. No doubt.

In fact my old copy of ARK was so broken down and being held together by rubber bands that I recently purchased a new copy, and the first thing I did was email metroKat this picture.

goodthiel.jpg

I also showed this picture to another friend of mine, and my systems are so much like yours that he asked, and I quote " Is that your father?" and I replied "No, but it probably should have been."

I apologize if you are not fond of me posting a picture of you, but it has been so well publicized I .will take the risk. In short, I love you man. I truly do. Long live the king

Sincerely,

Marc Casola

Aquatech-NY

My facebook is not searchable so that profile is not mine.

In case it was, Euphy, there is a reason I post here under a 'screen name'.

Hey, I posted the link. Reread the post. :D

dang what the heck is going on in hurrrr? Only I really know the truth about kat, which is why shes so nice to me. she fears I'd spill the beans on her 25yo butt

dang what the heck is going on in hurrrr? Only I really know the truth about kat, which is why shes so nice to me. she fears I'd spill the beans on her 25yo butt

When am I nice to you?! My PMs are always a ##### slap. Or maybe you like that :huh: