Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I'm very honored to say that the famous Albert J. Thiel, author and authority on marine reefs for decades has graciously been interacting with me and is hopefully reading this thread right now.

Spirofucci
I'm very honored to say that the famous Albert J. Thiel, author and authority on marine reefs for decades has graciously been interacting with me and is hopefully reading this thread right now.

How did you hook up with him?? He is a ledgend.

That's the fan I have. I like it.

Formula462
How did you hook up with him?? He is a ledgend.

That's the fan I have. I like it.

Favors in high heels? That would get my attention/get her free coral.

Zeph is always talking about him so I found him on facebook and have been conversing. He retired after having health issues but I'm happy he has some interest left, we can all benefit from his experience and knowlege. We were just talking about LED's yesterday.

Here is my Apex temp graph for the last 7 days, the highs and lows are 2 degrees apart:

Screen%20Shot%202012-06-04%20at%209.12.38%20AM.png

Spirofucci
Zeph is always talking about him so I found him on facebook and have been conversing. He retired after having health issues but I'm happy he has some interest left, we can all benefit from his experience and knowlege. We were just talking about LED's yesterday.

Here is my Apex temp graph for the last 7 days, the highs and lows are 2 degrees apart:

Screen%20Shot%202012-06-04%20at%209.12.38%20AM.png

That is a nice graph!

I think I have a book or two of his that he wrote in the late 80's. I have about 20 reefing books, mostly old ones. My favorite ones are by Martin Moe.

albertthiel
A very warm welcome to Mr. Albert J Thiel. Thank you for visiting my thread.

Merry Christmas! How Santa got the RSM to me is a mystery, since my apartment does not have a chimney. I started my salty adventures this past summer and in 6 months have upgraded from a BioCube 14 to a 2.5 times larger Red Sea MAX 130D, 34 gallon. I'm very excited about this tank, and can see that this tank will be plenty for a long time to come. The trick is not to go to any more frag swaps with my friend KG. ;)

Welcome to my RSM thread. :) FTS 5/7/2012

IMG_4494.JPG

Thanks for following.

Thread Index

1. The 'Scape
  2. The shoe that made me famous on N-R
  3. Rainfords Goby, R.I.P.
  4. The radio show that made me famous on N-R
  5. First look at the scape after the move from the BC
  6. Lola the homing crab
  7. First ginormous coral influx
  8. Draco the Mandarin arrives and steals my heart
  9. Adding LED's
  10. My 50 Gallon upgrade, ha!
  11. Kat pays a visit to Mr Coral, he still lives
  12. Stupido the BTA
  13. Rare fish sighting
  14. NASA flew over my thread head
  15. Crab fight episode 1
  16. 10 foot tank move and Crab Fight Episode 2
  17. Crab Love
  18. The Yuma from hell
  19. Frag Prison
  20. Jason Fox Leptastrea resurrection
  21. Mr Coral's Hellboy Favia progression
  22. The story of Au, my Gold Maxima
  23. The makings of a zoanthid valley
  24. Clamnapper Capers
  25. A for Apex
  26. T5's and LED's in the RSM hood

This is a wonderful aquarium and I congratulate you on your reef keeping abilities .... Wonderful ....

Albert Thiel

Batgirl sure can run a beautiful Aquarium. Not doubt about it. BTW this is a great site ....

Albert Thiel

This is a wonderful aquarium and I congratulate you on your reef keeping abilities .... Wonderful ....

Albert Thiel

Batgirl sure can run a beautiful Aquarium. Not doubt about it. BTW this is a great site ....

Albert Thiel

You do me great honor sir. Welcome.

ScubaEthan
Scooby, how do you feel about going for a vegan meal next week?

I'm up for anything!

Shouldn't it be Kat house.

haha!

dkhve.jpg

I like how your instructions look like mine with chemicals splattered all over it.

ScubaEthan

Albert Thiel

Albert Thiel

:welcome: it is a pleasure to have you here!

albertthiel

Very very nice .... How large is your nano reef --- ?

Albert

A very warm welcome to Mr. Albert J Thiel. Thank you for visiting my thread.

Merry Christmas! How Santa got the RSM to me is a mystery, since my apartment does not have a chimney. I started my salty adventures this past summer and in 6 months have upgraded from a BioCube 14 to a 2.5 times larger Red Sea MAX 130D, 34 gallon. I'm very excited about this tank, and can see that this tank will be plenty for a long time to come. The trick is not to go to any more frag swaps with my friend KG. ;)

Welcome to my RSM thread. :) FTS 5/7/2012

IMG_4494.JPG

Thanks for following.

Thread Index

1. The 'Scape
  2. The shoe that made me famous on N-R
  3. Rainfords Goby, R.I.P.
  4. The radio show that made me famous on N-R
  5. First look at the scape after the move from the BC
  6. Lola the homing crab
  7. First ginormous coral influx
  8. Draco the Mandarin arrives and steals my heart
  9. Adding LED's
  10. My 50 Gallon upgrade, ha!
  11. Kat pays a visit to Mr Coral, he still lives
  12. Stupido the BTA
  13. Rare fish sighting
  14. NASA flew over my thread head
  15. Crab fight episode 1
  16. 10 foot tank move and Crab Fight Episode 2
  17. Crab Love
  18. The Yuma from hell
  19. Frag Prison
  20. Jason Fox Leptastrea resurrection
  21. Mr Coral's Hellboy Favia progression
  22. The story of Au, my Gold Maxima
  23. The makings of a zoanthid valley
  24. Clamnapper Capers
  25. A for Apex
  26. T5's and LED's in the RSM hood

Albert

34Gallons. This is a Red Sea Max all-in-one tank. Comes standard with a skimmer (which is offline since Easter, I am skimmerless, is that a no no? :) )

And with 55W T5 light. We were discussing LED's on Facebook so here is my do-it-yourself where I added several LED strips, 2 of these have a PAR value of 85. These LED's are from a company called ecoxotic.

IMG_20120511_090650.jpg

Dear Mr Thiel,

I kid you not I have tears in my eyes just writing to you. Metrokat has just alerted me of your presence on her thread, and I told her I am speechless and need time to think about this and what to say. I told her I am not home and could not type an appropriate response on my phone, but she insisted i simply say hi for now, so here I am.

Let me just say when I was a youngster, all I had were my aquariums. I was a nerdy kid and didn't like sports, but I loved my aquariums. I would carry your books around with me everywhere I went. In the malls with my parents, etc. I kid you not. And Metrokat can vouch for me, that even now at the age of 45, i still Carry your book Advanced Reef Keeping around with me. You and Mr. Martin Moe were my heros, but especially you. You were a pioneer of our hobby. Your worked on your tanks, publicized your findings, and marketed high quality products that we all needed. If it had the word THIEL on it, it was the best. No doubt.

In fact my old copy of ARK was so broken down and being held together by rubber bands that I recently purchased a new copy, and the first thing I did was email metroKat this picture.

goodthiel.jpg

I also showed this picture to another friend of mine, and my systems are so much like yours that he asked, and I quote " Is that your father?" and I replied "No, but it probably should have been."

I apologize if you are not fond of me posting a picture of you, but it has been so well publicized I .will take the risk. In short, I love you man. I truly do. Long live the king

Sincerely,

Marc Casola

Aquatech-NY

Dear Mr Thiel,

I kid you not I have tears in my eyes just writing to you. Metrokat has just alerted me of your presence on her thread, and I told her I am speechless and need time to think about this and what to say. I told her I am not home and could not type an appropriate response on my phone, but she insisted i simply say hi for now, so here I am.

Let me just say when I was a youngster, all I had were my aquariums. I was a nerdy kid and didn't like sports, but I loved my aquariums. I would carry your books around with me everywhere I went. In the malls with my parents, etc. I kid you not. And Metrokat can vouch for me, that even now at the age of 45, i still Carry your book Advanced Reef Keeping around with me. You and Mr. Martin Moe were my heros, but especially you. You were a pioneer of our hobby. Your worked on your tanks, publicized your findings, and marketed high quality products that we all needed. If it had the word THIEL on it, it was the best. No doubt.

In fact my old copy of ARK was so broken down and being held together by rubber bands that I recently purchased a new copy, and the first thing I did was email metroKat this picture.

I also showed this picture to another friend of mine, and my systems are so much like yours that he asked, and I quote " Is that your father?" and I replied "No, but it probably should have been."

I apologize if you are not fond of me posting a picture of you, but it has been so well publicized I .will take the risk. In short, I love you man. I truly do. Long live the king

Sincerely,

Marc Casola

Aquatech-NY

:wub:

albertthiel

Thank you so much for your kind words. They are truly appreciated. Believe me they are. it is rare that I get a message that actually indicates that the sender remembers me : )

I did not know about this site but it is Metrokat who found me on Facebook ( ajthiel1 ) and send me a note and posted a beautiful picture. That is how I found this site and I joined today. Still trying to find my way around all the various areas and forums.

Again thanks for the very kind words and I'll try to contribute to the best of my ability.

Albert

Dear Mr Thiel,

goodthiel.jpg

Sincerely,

Marc Casola

Aquatech-NY

No problem about the picture ... :) makes me look younger ... and that is one from a long time ago when I lived in Norwalk CT ... now live in Alpharetta GA

Albert

Dear Mr Thiel,

goodthiel.jpg

Sincerely,

Marc Casola

Aquatech-NY

MrAnderson
Thank you so much for your kind words. They are truly appreciated. Believe me they are. it is rare that I get a message that actually indicates that the sender remembers me : )

I did not know about this site but it is Metrokat who found me on Facebook ( ajthiel1 ) and send me a note and posted a beautiful picture. That is how I found this site and I joined today. Still trying to find my way around all the various areas and forums.

Again thanks for the very kind words and I'll try to contribute to the best of my ability.

Albert

welcome sir, i hope you enjoy the site!

:welcome:

albertthiel

Just got a message from a hobbyist you gave my name to and showed that picture you send me :) ... A very nice message which I am sure you can probably read on the forum ... Thanks Batgirl's MAX

Albert

Albert

Yes I did read it and received postings from a number of people on the site. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of nano-reef as I was not familiar with it but of course now I am :) Thanks Batgirl's MAX or Metrokat It is much appreciated.

Albert

albertthiel

A lot if not all life forms on the rocks will die off but do not get worried as thanks to the cycle a lot of bacteria both nitrobacter and nitrosomonas will grow on the rocks as the cycle runs its course. Just do not add real live forms till the cycle is complete in about 3 weeks or so max, maybe sooner.

The whole idea of the die off is to create the ammonia and then the bacteria and end up with a very live biological filter in the rocks (a new one). The lifeforms on the rocks are in many cases not all that desirable anyway (of course there are exceptions) and I have often recommended to people that if the rocks come with interesting life forms that they should gently remove them and keep them separate from the tank that is cycling and put them back in once the cycle has run its course. That works in some cases but in others those small rock lifeforms that were removed will die off anyway. Just watch whatever they were put into so you can control the undesirable levels of ammonia in it (and nitrite of course) by doing water changes.

Some small life forms "will" survive and you can put them back in the nano reef once the cycle is complete. Hope this helps

Albert

As always, the aquascape causes me sleepless nights. I have in the past with the BC and continue with the RSM, to wake up in the middle of the night to stare at that tank and re position the loose rocks in my head. The pictures below are the obligatory start of this tank from a few days ago.

IMG_20111220_152938.jpgIMG_20111222_144831.jpgIMG_20111223_111526.jpgIMG_20111223_190026.jpgIMG_20111224_104021.jpg

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose having sky high ammonia on day 2 during a nitrogen cycle is hardly something to fret about. Especially with the massive die off from this rock which is known to trigger a hard cycle. But it is worrying me no end. I have already done a 10 gallon water change in 2 days. Planning on another 5 later today. I've got zeolite crystals running, added seachem Prime. Nothing seems to be making a difference!

I need this cycle to be soft so I can preserve whatever life came on my Florida rocks. :tears:

Spirofucci

Dear Mr Thiel, welcome to NR!! It is truly an honor to have you here. Way back in 1994 I had the pleasure of seeing you speak at the Southwest Marine Conference in Scottsdale AZ, sponsored by the Desert Marine Society. I also saw many other great pioneers such as Dr. Walter Adey, Charles Delbeek, Julian Sprung, John Tullock, Wayne Blackburn, Thomas Frakes, Martin Moe, and John Walch. I even have your autograph from the conference poster which hangs right above my tank.

I also have two of your books titled, Small Reef Aquaruim Basics and Advanced Reef Keeping, both published in 1989.

Thanks to true pioneers like youself, our hobby has come a very long way since then!

Sincerely yours,

Mark Wallerstein

Harlingen, Texas

albertthiel

Thanks for the kind words and I am glad that Metrokat pointed me to Nano-Reef ... Glad you remember me :) as it has been a long time indeed ! I wish you great Nano reef keeping ...

Albert

Dear Mr Thiel, welcome to NR!! It is truly an honor to have you here. Way back in 1994 I had the pleasure of seeing you speak at the Southwest Marine Conference in Scottsdale AZ, sponsored by the Desert Marine Society. I also saw many other great pioneers such as Dr. Walter Adey, Charles Delbeek, Julian Sprung, John Tullock, Wayne Blackburn, Thomas Frakes, Martin Moe, and John Walch. I even have your autograph from the conference poster which hangs right above my tank.

I also have two of your books titled, Small Reef Aquaruim Basics and Advanced Reef Keeping, both published in 1989.

Thanks to true pioneers like youself, our hobby has come a very long way since then!

Sincerely yours,

Mark Wallerstein

Harlingen, Texas

albertthiel

Thanks. I appreciate the welcome.

Great site ... and great info based on what I looked at so far .... Nano-reefs are a great way to be in the hobby without having to stock large tanks and invest a lot more money ... Happy nano reef keeping

Albert

:welcome: it is a pleasure to have you here!
MrAnderson
A lot if not all life forms on the rocks will die off but do not get worried as thanks to the cycle a lot of bacteria both nitrobacter and nitrosomonas will grow on the rocks as the cycle runs its course. Just do not add real live forms till the cycle is complete in about 3 weeks or so max, maybe sooner.

mr. thiel is correct on the generalities, but knowledge regarding the specifics have undergone some exciting changes in literally just the last couple years. this has resulted in upending several conventional paradigms. data has shown that Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter are actually not prevalent in a reef environment, and the effects attributed to them are actually carried out by highly diverse bacterial consortia in biofilm communities, both outside and inside the rock. it isn't the species that is relevant, but the genes a bacterium carries. due to horizontal gene transfer, bacteria of highly diverse lineages are capable of nitrification and denitrification, even those that have not been previously characterized as doing so.

i believe that the conventional paradigm of attributing nitrogen cycle to Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter will persist for a very long time in our hobby. however, we have to start the correction somewhere! marine microbiology is a very exciting and fast-changing field these days.

welcome to nr mr thiel :welcome:

please feel free to venture into the makeshift lounge for some off topic conversations. we have a slightly childish sense of humor there, but the lounge is full of the best minds on the site. that may be hard to believe at first lol.

also we have a hot chicks thread