Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimasterben

Well actually Benny, it is because of you that I got the calibration fluid in the first place. Mike asked me about my salinity when the ALK/CALC was frustrating me, and you chimed in, here we are. It is bad. I'm surprised I'm not seeing my livestock suffering, or maybe it is and it will ow blossom, who knows.

I know. Don't stress too much over it. Just lower it gradually and your tank will be back to thriving in no time. :)

So a little bit about salinity. Swings are not instant death, not nearly what's described in forums. If you aren't over 1.030 I wouldn't expect everything to die over night. Remember, it's been this way for a while, it didn't get there over night.

I'd try to keep the swing under 0.001 every 2-3 hours and you'll be fine IMHO.

@ eddie

Yeah, distilled calibration is bad. Get some fluid and go calibrate. That reminds me, I should check the calibration on mine.

I check the calibration on mine every single time I check my salinity.

Where are people getting calibration fluid? I looked on BRS and shipping is $11! I'm not paying almost double to ship something. The fluid is $6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/53-0mS-35ppt-Salinity-Calibration-Fluid-Refractometer-/370506851353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5643ede419

I ordered my refractometer and fluid from them. They're reliable and accurate, and the calibration fluid is just as it says.

Happy Birfday to my tank!!

IMG_20121224_211146.jpg

Merry Christmas everybody!

Don't get me all hot and bothered!

Merry Christmas dahhling!

Good morning!! And thanks ladies, I can't believe this tank is a year old. :)

Time flies Kat, especially when one has fun with them ! Merry Christmas and all the best for 2013.

Time flies Kat, especially when one has fun with them ! Merry Christmas and all the best for 2013.

Merry Christmas Albert.

Merry Xmas MetroBrat.

You know I love you.

I just dont show it well.

Aww, Merry Christmas Zeph. OMG does my painting say brat or kat?!

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Mark!!

jedimasterben

Merry Fishmas Benny!! What ninja was under the tree????

Nothing yet, haven't opened a single thing at this point. The :ninja: was for me ordering a Reef Angel. :ninja:

Nothing yet, haven't opened a single thing at this point. The :ninja: was for me ordering a Reef Angel. :ninja:

I am my own Santa too. Heh. Last year I bought myself this tank. And Gucci. It was still better than the car I got myself a couple of years ago, I totally thought it would come with a bow!

I was ah more conservative this year.

Merry Christmas errrrbodyyy!

Thanks for the link Ben. I just ordered it. Had a couple bucks in my paypal so that works.

Are we all making high heels our new avatar? Because there were 3 in a row haha.

Congrads on the tank making one year!

I am concerned about the refractometer calibration issues though. Did you figure it out?

I always used freshwater to calibrate mine and held my reef at 1.025 SG

By freshwater I mean tap water and sometimes the RO/DI that I made. i think both of them had the same readings.

I did have that 35ppt calibration fluid in a bottle from when i bought my refracto, but i almost never used it. My question to you is does it stay at 35ppt always? As in it doesnt evaporate and cause an inaccuracy when you calibrate? I am talking about the liquid inside the bottle itself.

Also how off was your reef's SG after you calibrated your refracto with the fluid?

Also idk how relevant this is but I remember that if my calibration water and my testing water were two different temperatures, the calibration was off.

Let me know what the salinity was and how you fixed it :)

Most importantly though: where are the fuge pics? Can't seem to find them.

Found it. That photo made me laugh. It looks excellent and I can see exactly how all the macros form a landscape. It's the house that made me laugh lol!

^ most refractometers adjust for the temp difference automatically now. I know mine is supposed to do that. I've always used RO/DI as well but ordered some solution to test it out.