Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Congrats Kat!

Thank you so much!

Congrats on your TOTM.

Thank you Jon.

Congrats again! :happydance:

Thank you. I'm thinking of a TOTM brunch with the ladies.

cat-with-high-heels.jpg

Any post TOTM changes to your tank....celebratory clam?

And^ that is profile picture worthy or at least sig

Ha ha, thanks for the kitty picture. No changed after TOTM, I still have SPS frags that I got exactly a week ago that I am now done acclimating to my light. Will be gluing those down.

Speaking of the squamosa, any improvement?

Thanks for asking Ian. I can't really tell. She went 2 days without gaping too much, yesterday she was even jumpy. Lightening fast reflexes to shadows. But maybe she spent all her energy in closing up fast like that. (I have to insert here that the day I got her, her reaction to shadows was very slow for a clam IME. She is the largest sized clam I have kept in the tank so I did not know if that meant that larger clams are slow to close up in general or what. I wish Zeph could have helped me with answers but he was MIA at the time.)

Anyway, so she was reacting to shadows very well yesterday which may have used up her energy so towards the end of the day, one hour before lights out, she gaped. This was very hard to watch because Zeph says when they gape in the daylight, it is a sign that they are getting worse. All I can say is that I am doing all that I know to do for her. I am feeding her, I have nitrates which she likes, she's mid level in my tank in a little bowl where she is undisturbed except for the flow from the MP10s and the occasional critter. The light id really good where she is too.

These pictures tell the tale a lot better:

Nov 27, an hour after she was in the tank

IMG_20121127_130932.jpg

Nov 27 several hours later, she gaped that evening but not too much.

IMG_20121127_182710.jpg

Nov 28, looks beautiful and this picture was featured on the TOTM

IMG_20121128_150110.jpg

Nov 29th night I was horrified

IMG_20121129_200926.jpg

She's been in a bowl ever since, she looks much better in there but as I mentioned above, I don't know if she really is better

IMG_20121202_180043.jpg

I'm very concerned. I don't know if I should call Live Aquaria, she is weak and she might live past their 14 day guarantee but she is weak and may die on the 15th day. I just know I'm not going to find another little squamosa like her, that just makes me very sad.

jedimasterben

My squammy doesn't seem to be bothered much by shadows, I test my clams often and the squammy never flinches, but I also have very distributed lighting, so it's difficult to put a true shadow anywhere.

I have yet to fix the rigid tubing problem permanently.

Use your hair drier as a heat gun. Heat up the tubing till it's softer (don't melt it!) and bend it to the shape you want it to be in. When it cools it'll want to stay in the shape it was when it was soft.

Congrats on the 12,000 post Metro.

Also, What ever happened to the first coral you put in your tank? You remember it right? This one:

IMG_20111220_152938.jpg

That's a cat fish. :angry:

See! That fish is the reason I had to upgrade.

Here he is in the BC14 which is how I started my salty journey

IMG_20110709_100844.jpg

Use your hair drier as a heat gun. Heat up the tubing till it's softer (don't melt it!) and bend it to the shape you want it to be in. When it cools it'll want to stay in the shape it was when it was soft.

That's 2 voted for heat. Done.

Congrats on TOTM. :happy:

Looks great!

:ninja:

Oh look, it's my favorite ninja! Thank you Joel, how is school?

I'm very concerned. I don't know if I should call Live Aquaria, she is weak and she might live past their 14 day guarantee but she is weak and may die on the 15th day. I just know I'm not going to find another little squamosa like her, that just makes me very sad.

Sorry Kat. I would contact them and tell them what's up; that you don't want to give up on her, but that she was basically near death from the start.

It's times like this that it would be nice to just fast forward a month and find out what happened...

:fingerscrossed:

MeanGreenEyes
Thank you. I'm thinking of a TOTM brunch with the ladies.

Ok...just lmk...you've got my #.

I wish Zeph could have helped me with answers but he was MIA at the time.)

I hope that you gave him quite the beating for this!!! :angry::rant::owned:

Lilly did not make it. I don't know what to say. I didn't want her to be tossed without being in a bag of water incase she was a little bit alive in there. So then I booked a flight to London for some retail therapy.

Ok...just lmk...you've got my #.

I hope that you gave him quite the beating for this!!! :angry::rant::owned:

Ok, so now its my fault Kats clam died!! THat's cool....if it makes you all feel better to beat up on me, go right ahead. Ill take you both on at the same time. B)

The reason I did not perform a clam house call was because there was nothing anyone could have done. I know Kats tank and I know it is perfect for clams, and the success of her small maximas prove it because they are harder to keep than any squamosa out there. Buying clams is like playing cards.You get dealt a bad hand sometimes and just have to fold.

MeanGreenEyes
Lilly did not make it. I don't know what to say. I didn't want her to be tossed without being in a bag of water incase she was a little bit alive in there. So then I booked a flight to London for some retail therapy.

I'm so sorry to hear...

Ok, so now its my fault Kats clam died!! THat's cool....if it makes you all feel better to beat up on me, go right ahead. Ill take you both on at the same time. B)

The reason I did not perform a clam house call was because there was nothing anyone could have done. I know Kats tank and I know it is perfect for clams, and the success of her small maximas prove it because they are harder to keep than any squamosa out there. Buying clams is like playing cards.You get dealt a bad hand sometimes and just have to fold.

:rant: I didn't know that the clam didn't make it when I posted that! I don't know you well enough to give you the satisfaction of me beating you but Kat and I CAN feed you to my mantis! :naughtydance:

Hey. Thanks for the call while I cried like a baby about Lily. Sniff.

She had most likely attached over at Divers Den before they shipped her to me and they had to cut her byssal threads to do so. The extended threads looked normal to me, not torn or pulled but honestly, who knows. I would guess those guys over at LA know what they are doing. But as your recent shipments have shown, QC is getting lax over there.

I CAN feed you to my mantis! :naughtydance:

He's rather big, that Zeph is. We might have to throw him in the turtle pond over at central park instead.

We could feed his rabbit to the mantis?

MeanGreenEyes

She had most likely attached over at Divers Den before they shipped her to me and they had to cut her byssal threads to do so. The extended threads looked normal to me, not torn or pulled but honestly, who knows. I would guess those guys over at LA know what they are doing. But as your recent shipments have shown, QC is getting lax over there.

He's rather big, that Zeph is. We might have to throw him in the turtle pond over at central park instead.

The bigger they are...the harder they fall. My ex was built like a football player 6'2" 377lbs 15 shoe. Zeph is light work for me! Sounds like the perfect plan for revenge though...I'm down... :ninja::naughtydance:

No that rabbit is cute :tears:

That is a shame. That was a very nice Squamosa (RIP).

The bigger they are...the harder they fall. My ex was built like a football player 6'2" 377lbs 15 shoe. Zeph is light work for me! Sounds like the perfect plan for revenge though...I'm down... :ninja::naughtydance:

BRING IT ON! But instead of the turtle pond at Central Park, I say a mud wrestling ring and we all wear our bathing suits. After that we can go to my place and culture pyhto.

Edited by ZephNYC