SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimasterben
BRING IT ON! But instead of the turtle pond at Central Park, I say a mud wrestling ring and we all wear our bathing suits. After that we can go to my place and culture pyhto.

:haha: :haha:

Congrats on TOTM.

Thanks Jersey.

In other news my baby Maxima, Emerald, has firmly attached to the frag disk that I put in her own little bowl several days ago. She looks comfortable and now I can move her higher up, in the bowl itself. Yay.

Also popped the green millepora from where it was glued to examine it. There seems to be a reddish/brownish cancerous coating on the back of the coral. By back I mean on each branch on the side that does not get the light. I tried to scrape it off thinking maybe it was slimmer fungus or sponge or even pests. It it was a cancerous growth, it crunched under the tweezer. Anybody know what I might be?

So sorry to hear about little lily. Sometimes its just not meant to be.. Congradulations on TOTM though, at least she will be forever remembered in her prime with your article

MeanGreenEyes

Kat,

I saw you mention somewhere that you were culturing phyto with the algagen phycopure greenwater from the swap? Is this viable as a starter culture and what ratios of salt, plant food and phycopure did you go with? Please lmk...

Kat,

I saw you mention somewhere that you were culturing phyto with the algagen phycopure greenwater from the swap? Is this viable as a starter culture and what ratios of salt, plant food and phycopure did you go with? Please lmk...

Yes, I'm using AlgaGen phycopure. I took a gallon of 1.014 salinity water and poured a little bit of the phycopure till it looked like it had a tint of green, threw in a pinch of miracle grow. They say to use the liquid miracle grow in a measurable quantity but I only had the dry powder form so I put in a pinch. Put some LEDs on it. To be honest, it was a half hearted attempt at culturing just so I could get started, well what do you know, already put one 16 oz bottle in the fridge, will be putting another one today. I'm not splitting the original culture. When I take out the 16oz today I'm just going to fill the same original culture bottle with new water and add a pinch of miracle grow.

With just one gallon of a culture I already have too much for my own consumption so I might have to toss some or sell some locally. I'm not waiting for the culture to be an intense dark green before I bottle it. Because I am making far more than I need, a light dusting of phyto is all my system needs, this way I can dose it more often too. It is still a very bright green suspended liquid in the bottle.

Sorry not having precise measurements.

I wanted to share the story of the snout less Nassarius Vibex snail. I have about 10 of these little guys in the DT. Last week one of them was zooming down the glass, when Ruby the clownfish made a beeline for the snail and chomped off the snout! The snail fell down and took a few moments to recover before slithering off and hiding in the sand somewhere. Ruby spat out the snout.

So now I have a snout less snail.

clam :(
So sorry to hear about little lily. Sometimes its just not meant to be.. Congradulations on TOTM though, at least she will be forever remembered in her prime with your article
Lily. :tears:

Yeah. :( I miss that Squamosa, she was just perfect.

MeanGreenEyes
Yes, I'm using AlgaGen phycopure. I took a gallon of 1.014 salinity water and poured a little bit of the phycopure till it looked like it had a tint of green, threw in a pinch of miracle grow. They say to use the liquid miracle grow in a measurable quantity but I only had the dry powder form so I put in a pinch. Put some LEDs on it. To be honest, it was a half hearted attempt at culturing just so I could get started, well what do you know, already put one 16 oz bottle in the fridge, will be putting another one today. I'm not splitting the original culture. When I take out the 16oz today I'm just going to fill the same original culture bottle with new water and add a pinch of miracle grow.

With just one gallon of a culture I already have too much for my own consumption so I might have to toss some or sell some locally. I'm not waiting for the culture to be an intense dark green before I bottle it. Because I am making far more than I need, a light dusting of phyto is all my system needs, this way I can dose it more often too. It is still a very bright green suspended liquid in the bottle.

Sorry not having precise measurements.

Thanks...I'll figure it out from there...going to go pick up the liquid food later today...

Thanks...I'll figure it out from there...going to go pick up the liquid food later today...

Pic for ya. Home made fish moonshine.

Bottle on the left is the first bottling of the phyto, the one on the right is from today.

IMG_20121205_171343.jpg

MeanGreenEyes
Pic for ya. Home made fish moonshine.

Bottle on the left is the first bottling of the phyto, the one on the right is from today.

IMG_20121205_171343.jpg

Awesome sauce! Have I mentioned I adore the color green? :wub: Phyto is liquid hotness. lol

Small batches Benny. Here's my ghetto phyto station.

IMG_20121205_190033.jpg

Everything we do for this hobby looks "methlabish" lol I've seen worse while researching the subject of culturing phyto.

Congrats on TOTM Pooja! I bet your kids are proud of you having such an awesome tank! :happy:

Post more pics! :)

Edited by Euphyllia