inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Yes, the OFF part of the script is still in there, i was editing the OSC oart only. Its working perfectly BTW. I cant believe it.

Go team go! We'll take are payment in frags :D Zeph pick me out something good :naughtydance:

Edited by SerenityReef

Kat, re: squammy: I don't know what Zeph would say to the old trick of covering it with the cut-off top of a 2-liter bottle (or similar) squirting in a bunch of live phyto, and putting the cap on until the water is clear...? If he thinks it's worth a shot, repeat 1-2x a day.

A friend of mine had good luck doing this with small croceas back in the day...

Kat, re: squammy: I don't know what Zeph would say to the old trick of covering it with the cut-off top of a 2-liter bottle (or similar) squirting in a bunch of live phyto, and putting the cap on until the water is clear...? If he thinks it's worth a shot, repeat 1-2x a day.

sure, that is an effective way of feeding. I know Kat is annoyed at me because im not playing doctor to her clam 24/7...but really...there is nothing to do. Her tank is perfect so just kick back and keep your fingers crossed. Everytime a clam shows the slightest problem evreyone runs for food. It really does not help at all. Of course it doesnt hurt, but they simply are not designed to eat much.

I have a few PMs that have been asking me about feeding clams and I promised to write what I think about that and what/how and why I even feed mine, so if anyone cares i will get to that on my zoo louse thread later tonight...prolly around midnight.

Edited by ZephNYC
Clam isn't sick, it is weak, and starving. I have her in a little bowl full of sand on my rocks to get maximum light with low flow. Im really worried and feeling angry at divers den for starving this gorgeous animal. I simply have never seen anothe rsquamosa like this one.

You really cant blame LA. All the clams ive gotten from them lately (6) are all doing really well. There are so many variables. Youre learning the very first lesson about clam keeping. The clams just dont follow the rules sometimes.

Oh...the second lesson about clams is...and I will quote Julian Sprung here - " The prettier a clam is the more likely it is to die" .

Edited by ZephNYC
You really cant blame LA. All the clams ive gotten from them lately (6) are all doing really well. There are so many variables. Youre learning the very first lesson about clam keeping. The clams just dont follow the rules sometimes.

Oh...the second lesson about clams is...and I will quote Julian Sprung here - " The prettier a clam is the more likely it is to die" .

Whenever you have bought your divers den clams, they have been a 'new item', something they posted that very day. And trigger happy as you are, you buy it right there and then. So from the time it is on the website to when it is in your tank is less than a week or a week at most.

My squamosa was on divers den a full 2 or more weeks before i pulled the trigger. Being thanksgiving, it took another week for it to ship.

Yes. LiveAquaria IS at fault. The Maxima is barely 1 inch big, lived through the hurricane and an additional 10 days at the LFS before coming to me now 4 weeks ago. Doing well, happy as a clam. Looked good from day 1. Lesson learnt? Buy divers den "new" clams.

Ive been both target feeding and broadcast feeding live phyto. I also tried DTs oyster eggs today. Both clams coughed it up. About the ony thing they tolerate withhout blinking is live phyto.

Speaking of which, i bottled my first batch today. :)

Whenever you have bought your divers den clams, they have been a 'new item', something they posted that very day. And trigger happy as you are, you buy it right there and then. So from the time it is on the website to when it is in your tank is less than a week or a week at most.

My squamosa was on divers den a full 2 or more weeks before i pulled the trigger. Being thanksgiving, it took another week for it to ship.

Yes. LiveAquaria IS at fault. The Maxima is barely 1 inch big, lived through the hurricane and an additional 10 days at the LFS before coming to me now 4 weeks ago. Doing well, happy as a clam. Looked good from day 1. Lesson learnt? Buy divers den "new" clams.

Ive been both target feeding and broadcast feeding live phyto. I also tried DTs oyster eggs today. Both clams coughed it up. About the ony thing they tolerate withhout blinking is live phyto.

Speaking of which, i bottled my first batch today. :)

Is that a fact ? I guess it was some other pink maxima I saw in DD for a week or so before I decided to buy it - know it all. And that 9 inch squamosa was there for about a week calling my name before I gave in. Even worse it got held up in fed ex for 2 days and arrived in an EMPTY BAG !! And i KNOW it was empty for a long time because the box had dried out...and they still recovered perfectly in 24 hours.

Most likely 2 weeks QT before bring posted.

Ah, just checked, you are correct. I thought I remember the F&S guy talking about 4-6 weeks when we saw him last year.

I think what's going to make the difference is keeping the clam in a stable environment. No messing with it and stressing it out in an attempt to help it. Don't treat this clam like you did with your kalk situation... :P

Ah, just checked, you are correct. I thought I remember the F&S guy talking about 4-6 weeks when we saw him last year.

I think what's going to make the difference is keeping the clam in a stable environment. No messing with it and stressing it out in an attempt to help it. Don't treat this clam like you did with your kalk situation... :P

They quarantine fish much longer than inverts, often months for expensive ones.

Yea...dont keep moving it around and putting it bowls. yes your intentions are good, but even a concentrated bowl feeding can stress a clam further if it is already somewhat bothered. I would just keep it in the sand and do two light phyto feedings daily for the entire tank. turn off the skimmer and the carbon/gfo reactor for a few hours after each feeding.

Edited by ZephNYC