ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Try getting rid of this line..

If Time 20:00 to 08:00 Then ON

I only just skimmed the APEX user manual and have no real idea what I'm talking about, but it looks like because of order of operations and since each statement is evaluated individually, this line is probably overriding your OSC condition from the line previous.

Basically it says that as long as it's in the that time range, it should be on, regardless of the OSC statement since it is evaluated after the OSC. You should only need the OFF time range, at the end, to override the OSC.

Thank you, I updated it, and it is no longer on. I'll report back after the hour with how it went.

I say feeding will not help because its just not enough and not a long enough duration. You can dump an entire bottle of pyto in your tank and a clam is only capable of consuming maybe 1% of that. The proper way to feed a clam is a continuous drip, so very low amounts of pyto are present during all daylight hours.

Should i do a constant drip of phyto for the Squamosa?

In a system with no removal of their food (no skimmer), they should fare better, right?

Which brings up the point, should i turn the skimmer off till the squamosa feels better?

They tried to make my nickname in high school Tibbsy

Haha, I got this nickname in high school. It's actually Tibbs, but that's usually taken on forums so I go with Tibbsy. I will state here, and forever, that it's NOT "Tippsy" - no alcohol connection, nor is there any connection to anything, really. It was a name that we came up with randomly, and it stuck.

Dosing is the bane of my life ATM. :angry:

If you ever begin dosing in the future, dont go with BRS is all im going to say.

No BRS. Got it. I'm hoping I never have to seriously dose. To be honest, at least with my current tank and inexperience, I am hoping for mainly photosynthetic corals (the grape cap was a mistaken identity buy - I didn't realize at first it was a monti)

Try getting rid of this line..

If Time 20:00 to 08:00 Then ON

I only just skimmed the APEX user manual and have no real idea what I'm talking about, but it looks like because of order of operations and since each statement is evaluated individually, this line is probably overriding your OSC condition from the line previous.

Basically it says that as long as it's in the that time range, it should be on, regardless of the OSC statement since it is evaluated after the OSC. You should only need the OFF time range, at the end, to override the OSC.

beebes, it worked! :wub:

Now. What all do I change in this line:

OSC 0:00/01:30/58:30 Then ON

When I want to increase the time the doser is on to 3 minutes?

No BRS. Got it. I'm hoping I never have to seriously dose. To be honest, at least with my current tank and inexperience, I am hoping for mainly photosynthetic corals (the grape cap was a mistaken identity buy - I didn't realize at first it was a monti)

Montiporas are photosynthetic. :huh:

Por que?

It is not a balanced additive. It does not say how much 1ml of the product will raise any parameter. All is says is "use our reef calculator". Then when you use the reef effin calculator, it says put a gallon of this and 2 drops of that. So tell me how is that a balanced additive? I called them and they said well you have to adjust the dose often at first to get it to the amount you need then you set it to equal amounts. WELL WHY DOESNT IT JUST SAY THAT ON THE PRODUCT?! :angry:

Sorry Benny, I'm not yelling at you.

In a system with no removal of their food (no skimmer), they should fare better, right?

yes, because the food will stay in suspension longer, but even still, they only get about 1% of requirements from feeding, even when food is present %100 of the time. We have tried keeping clams in moderate lighting with very heavy feedings and it didnt work at all.

Edited by ZephNYC
jedimasterben
It is not a balanced additive. It does not say how much 1ml of the product will raise any parameter. All is says is "use our reef calculator". Then when you use the reef effin calculator, it says put a gallon of this and 2 drops of that. So tell me how is that a balanced additive? I called them and they said well you have to adjust the dose often at first to get it to the amount you need then you set it to equal amounts. WELL WHY DOESNT IT JUST SAY THAT ON THE PRODUCT?! :angry:

Sorry Benny, I'm not yelling at you.

Oh, for their mixes. Derp. I thought you meant like their dosing pumps and stuff. :)

beebes, it worked! :wub:

Now. What all do I change in this line:

OSC 0:00/01:30/58:30 Then ON

When I want to increase the time the doser is on to 3 minutes?

Nice! A decade of programming experience finally paid off. :lol:

You just need to change the last two numbers. The 2nd number will go up to 3:00, the last number will go down to 57:00. Given your desire to dose once an hour at the start of the hour, the first number will always be zero, the 2nd number will always be your dosing time and the third time will always be (60:00 - dosing time).

It will look like this:

OSC 0:00/03:00/57:00 Then ON

Derp. They are. Failtibbs is full of fail. Regardless, I thought SPS required way more care/feeding than softies and zoas. I meant for my tank originally to be sofites and zoas, and was avoiding SPS because of my lack of knowledge.

Thank you, I updated it, and it is no longer on. I'll report back after the hour with how it went.

Should i do a constant drip of phyto for the Squamosa?

Which brings up the point, should i turn the skimmer off till the squamosa feels better?

I would not do either. You only have 2 tiny clams in there and in all honesty feeding them phyto is never the determining factor between life and death. Nitrates is though.

Edited by ZephNYC

You just need to change the last two numbers. The 2nd number will go up to 3:00, the last number will go down to 57:00. Given your desire to dose once an hour at the start of the hour, the first number will always be zero, the 2nd number will always be your dosing time and the third time will always be (60:00 - dosing time).

It will look like this:

:bowdown:

Derp. They are. Failtibbs is full of fail. Regardless, I thought SPS required way more care/feeding than softies and zoas. I meant for my tank originally to be sofites and zoas, and was avoiding SPS because of my lack of knowledge.

You need to clear all this hand holding I'm doing with the wife first.

All corals require the same amount of feeding except for NPS which are a bottomless pit.

What you feed might depend on the types of corals, for example a duncan and acan lords can eat small mysis pieces, but SPS need micro foods since their polyps are itty bitty. But they all eat whether you can see them eating or not.

The care of corals differs of course. Primary requirement for SPS is good light and good water. Zoas and softies love dirty water. Finding that balance is the tough part.

Dosing for ALK/Calc is not necessarily an SPS related issue. If you get massive amounts of coraline, it too eats these two parameters. Obviously a 200G with coralline will require more calc/alk than a 12G but this is no indication that dosing will be required or not. Depends on many many things, plenty of which I am still learning about myself.

I would not do either. You only have 2 tiny clams in there and in all honesty feeding them phyto is never the determining factor between life and death. Nitrates is though.

okay that helps. See, I needed to know this before I put you in the dog house. The squamosa is looking relaxed and pretty ATM.

It will look like this:

So, if I want to dose twice an hour. Say at the hour and at half past the hour for 5 minutes each. Will it look like this:

OSC 0:00/05:00/55:00 Then ON

OSC 0:30/05:00/55:00 Then ON

?

All corals require the same amount of feeding except for NPS which are a bottomless pit.

What you feed might depend on the types of corals, for example a duncan and acan lords can eat small mysis pieces, but SPS need micro foods since their polyps are itty bitty. But they all eat whether you can see them eating or not.

The care of corals differs of course. Primary requirement for SPS is good light and good water. Zoas and softies love dirty water. Finding that balance is the tough part.

Dosing for ALK/Calc is not necessarily an SPS related issue. If you get massive amounts of coraline, it too eats these two parameters. Obviously a 200G with coralline will require more calc/alk than a 12G but this is no indication that dosing will be required or not. Depends on many many things, plenty of which I am still learning about myself.

Fair enough. Thanks for the help, btw. I've been reading up on coral care this afternoon in my spare time.

So, if I want to dose twice an hour. Say at the hour and at half past the hour for 5 minutes each. Will it look like this:

?

No - with the code above, the 2nd OSC statement will just override the first. You only want one.

OSC is really just "stay off for this long, stay on for this long, stay off for this long."

So, you'll just want to change your last wait time from being (60:00 - dosing duration) to (30:00 - dosing duration):

OSC 0:00/05:00/25:00 Then ON

That should have it dose immediately for 5 minutes, wait 25, then dose immediately for 5 minutes, wait 25, etc etc. Hopefully that makes sense. :)

Disclaimer: I have never actually met an Apex in person.

okay that helps. See, I needed to know this before I put you in the dog house. The squamosa is looking relaxed and pretty ATM.

?

Iirc it would be

OSC 00:00/05:00/25:00 THEN ON

It has been a while since I read the apex manual though

Deleted User 3

Thats all mumbo jumbo to me, i had to quick scroll through lol! I wonder when my fish will spawn.. im assuming a year from now or more, but they are always either by the mushroom cave or this hole below the palys... which would make a prime egg spot... Even though they wont hatch, would still be cool..

But this will dose for three minutes every hour never turning off...you only wanted it 12 hrs a day...?

This was the example I twisted for you....

So I was wrong with the on time command, but right with the off time.

[Calcium]

Fallback OFF

OSC 00:00/27:00/33:00 Then ON (turns on pump for first 27 minutes each hour)

If Time 01:00 to 23:59 Then OFF (only allows pump on from midnight 00:00 to 1am 01:00)

[Alk]

Fallback OFF

OSC 00:00/27:00/33:00 Then ON (same as above)

If Time 02:00 to 00:59 Then OFF (pump on only from midnight to 1am)

If pH > 8.3 Then OFF

So....

[Cal]

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

If Time 20:01 to 07:59 Then OFF

[Alk]

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

If Time 08:01 to 19:59 Then OFF

Edited by SerenityReef
But this will dose for three minutes every hour never turning off...you only wanted it 12 hrs a day...?

This was the example I twisted for you....

So I was wrong with the on time command, but right with the off time.

[Calcium]

Fallback OFF

OSC 00:00/27:00/33:00 Then ON (turns on pump for first 27 minutes each hour)

If Time 01:00 to 23:59 Then OFF (only allows pump on from midnight 00:00 to 1am 01:00)

[Alk]

Fallback OFF

OSC 00:00/27:00/33:00 Then ON (same as above)

If Time 02:00 to 00:59 Then OFF (pump on only from midnight to 1am)

If pH > 8.3 Then OFF

So....

[Cal]

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

If Time 20:01 to 07:59 Then OFF

[Alk]

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

If Time 08:01 to 19:59 Then OFF

Yup, exactly, my previous posts were meant solely as edits - not complete scripts. :)

What is going on in here? Sick clams and military times?

Clam isn't sick, it is weak, and starving. I have her in a little bowl full of sand on my rocks to get maximum light with low flow. Im really worried and feeling angry at divers den for starving this gorgeous animal. I simply have never seen anothe rsquamosa like this one.