Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Weeeeeeew page 200 Pooja! Congratsz! :D

I hope your corals get better. When mine starting closing up and losing color, that is when I did more water changes with my bad salt (the problem) and I dug myself into a whole and then I gave up. :D

Edited by Euphyllia
Yup. That is what we are all trying to help me with.

I did everything you asked, it didn't work. I'm stumped too.

But you just start out pretending to know whats wrong when I am able to show you your own contradictions and yo yo advice every step of the way.

This is NOT about your tanks, it is about mine. What works for you doesn't for me. That does not mean you start bashing every attempt I make to correct the problem and feel upset when I ask for other opinions. I'm not saying you are wrong. You are not, what you know has worked FOR YOU, forever. But it is not working for ME.

What would be awesome given all of your experience is to apply the knowledge you have which is clearly greater than mine and use it think about MY tank. Not yours. That is why I ask for other opinions, because you don't want to think outside of the box tank you have.

My own contradictions and yo yo advice?

Since I have known you I have tried to be helpful. Since I have known you your tank has had a DKH of between 6 and 15. Since I have known you your calcium has fluctuate between 250 and 500.

I have tried to give you advice every step of the way, but you keep doing things like comparing my advice for your low dkh, with my latest advice for your low calcium. OF course they are contradictory. Then you attempt to embarrass me by putting everything I said in the last month side by side to meticulously point out any flaws or contradictions. I think its pretty clear where the problem is here.

<poof>

Good morning. 15 hours after a 10% waterchange

Calcium 360 (up 60 points)

DKh 7.0 (down 2.3 points)

Well, the cal is definitely getting better :)

You'll want to keep the alk as stable as possible. 7 dKH is ok for the cal that you have now. As Cal continues to rise due to your calcium inputs (shooting for somewhere around 400 - 460 ppm, I take it) it'd be good to see alk slowly brought up to around 8 or 9 dKH.

Well, the cal is definitely getting better :)

You'll want to keep the alk as stable as possible. 7 dKH is ok for the cal that you have now. As Cal continues to rise due to your calcium inputs (shooting for somewhere around 400 - 460 ppm, I take it) it'd be good to see alk slowly brought up to around 8 or 9 dKH.

The plan right now is frequent WCs, maybe even a 10% daily to see how the system responds, to see how corals respond. No dosing till then.

The plan right now is frequent WCs, maybe even a 10% daily to see how the system responds, to see how corals respond. No dosing till then.

I know that's what you are trying and that's all good, but I'd still be careful not to let alk drop much more than that since the hard corals will not take kindly to it.

Metrocat I like all your tanks.I wish you to stabilize your tank and enjoy your corals asap.By the way with the daily 10-20-30% water changes I am sure your going to be ok..just double check your salt.Those synthetic salts are full of buffers.As for alkalinity when you are filling your tank with frags from established sps corals those little things suck the bi-carbonates like vampires.I think is time to get a dosing pump and relax.

Edited by ALexpsycho
I know that's what you are trying and that's all good, but I'd still be careful not to let alk drop much more than that since the hard corals will not take kindly to it.

Will take care.

Metrocat I like all your tanks.I wish you to stabilize your tank and enjoy your corals asap.By the way with the daily 10-20-30% water changes I am sure your going to be ok..just double check your salt.Those synthetic salts are full of buffers.As for alkalinity when you are filling your tank with frags from established sps corals those little things suck the bi-carbonates like vampires.I think is time to get a dosing pump and relax.

Thank you Alex!

Wine helps. :P

^this. I might change my dosing methods some day, but imo, kalk in the ATO is just too risky and inconsistant in a small tank. :huh:

Up until recently, I didn't even dose. Now I dose by hand and only Ca and Alk and only as needed, after all it's only a nano tank.

I still think that your problem is still that you have a ton of left over buffer capacity in there from the accidental dump, which is what Alk measures and until that gets straightened out, I think you are going to have some balancing issues. Which imo, only Hypso and Nano S. have addressed for you.

SG, pH, temp, Ca, Mg, Alk are all inter related, you can't just treat one number. I know you know all this already. ;)

Also, I wouldn't do any WC's with that 30 TDS reading till you get that straightend out. Just use distilled for now.

:):):):):):)

And then you should try the "stop effing with the water chemistry" method. For like 3 weeks.

^this. I might change my dosing methods some day, but imo, kalk in the ATO is just too risky and inconsistant in a small tank. :huh:

Also, I wouldn't do any WC's with that 30 TDS reading till you get that straightend out. Just use distilled for now.

Manual dosing is okay when I am in town but I travel 10+ weeks in a year so this isn't a long term solution. I could consider a doser but the cabinet has no room and the outside of the cabinet is already awful with wires everywhere. But I'm thinking about the doser of course.

While 30 TDS is problematic, I also have GFO running and no visible algae blooms. My meter will hopefully be here this week then i test what AZDesertRat asked details for and we order replacements.

Alrighty then! Sounds good!

I'm sure that the TS is fully capable of squirting in a syringe full of A and/or B once or twice a week till you figure out which sexy doser to get. ;)

IMO, the Rat is the shizz when it comes to RODI stuff. B)

Alrighty then! Sounds good!

I'm sure that the TS is fully capable of squirting in a syringe full of A and/or B once or twice a week till you figure out which sexy doser to get. ;)

IMO, the Rat is the shizz when it comes to RODI stuff. B)

TS is awesome, Rat is awesome too. Is Rat on RC?

You need some stability in your life. Like, sit back and stare at the tank and never have to test ANYTHING.

I have an idea... Let's all convince Kat to get rid of her setup and buy mine! omgomgomg

P.S. Euphy, what the eff is that in your sig and avatar? :huh:

Edited by kgoldy
You need some stability in your life. Like, sit back and stare at the tank and never have to test ANYTHING.

I have an idea... Let's all convince Kat to get rid of her setup and buy mine! omgomgomg

P.S. Euphy, what the eff is that in your sig and avatar? :huh:

My tank might look like crap right now, but all my stuff is healthy. I haven't even owned a test kit in months.

Hide the Doster behind the mini fridge.

I'm not going for the mini fridge any longer.

Good morning.

Just want to point out that NSW alk is 7.3 dKH.

Btw welcome to zone 2. :) Balanced but low. It's a better place.

IMO just keep up the WCs for now.

:flower:

Looks like your partner is ready for negotiations. :bling:

He wears his tie when he wants to be serious about saying "talk to the hand"