SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

yoo hoo zephikins, come out come out wherever you are.

Oh my memory is sharp as a blade, however, as most are, it is based on IMPORTANCE. So you ask me when I think the last time you changed your carbon block was...lets see...

I stored that info in bank # 234, vault 51, drawer # 8. Lets check...

OK..here it is. It says NEVER.

Oh my memory is sharp as a blade, however, as most are, it is based on IMPORTANCE. So you ask me when I think the last time you changed your carbon block was...lets see...

I stored that info in bank # 234, vault 51, drawer # 8. Lets check...

OK..here it is. It says NEVER.

Good. Now tell me how long I've been using said spectrapure RODI?

Good. Now tell me how long I've been using said spectrapure RODI?

Now that is a loaded question. Do we have to play this out or may i finish meal #5 first ?

You got your unit in june.

Your tiny tank requires 2 sips a day makeup.

Yes your carbon block should be fine.

So it goes back to what i very first told you. If youre getting 30 tds after RODI it iis one of two things.

1) carbon malfunction

2 Batgirl malfunction

EDIT: Assembly errors fall under category # 2

Edited by ZephNYC
You got your unit in june.

Your tiny tank requires 2 sips a day makeup.

Yes your carbon block should be fine.

So it goes back to what i very first told you. If youre getting 30 tds after RODI it iis one of two things.

1) carbon malfunction

2 Batgirl malfunction

EDIT: Assembly errors fall under category # 2

See, now you're talking like a human being instead of a maniacal reefer that sniffs KALK all day.

Now you're suggesting possible problems instead of this know-it-all-attitude as demonstrated below

Sure there is. She never changed her carbon block so chlorine may have destroyed her RO membrane.

Especially since you also constantly contradict yourself:

KALK IS GOD when it comes to reef keeping, and i stand by this statement even on the phone. Admitedly, i am having mixed opinions on Brightwells Kalk+2 product, because I have had some problems as well, but have not varified it as the culprit yet.

Your problems may have nothing to do at all with Ca+/DKH composit water chemistry. You do not have a ph meter so you have no clue about your PH jump when your ato delivers all that kalk. We have spoke about the cautions of using kalk on nano tanks. My guess is your birdnest has suffered ph shock.
Edited by metrokat
See, now you're talking like a human being instead of a maniacal reefer that sniffs KALK all day.

Now you're suggesting possible problems instead of this know-it-all-attitude as demonstrated below

Especially since you also constantly contradict yourself:

How long did it take you to dig up all those quotes of mine? I think you love me.

Naaaa...We were just meant to be best friends. :blush:

Don't make me come over there! :lol: You've already seen my beating stick. At least you can confirm it exists.

How long did it take you to dig up all those quotes of mine? I think you love me.

I have a pretty photographic memory when it comes to words.

But I've book marked everything reef related, FYI. :slap:

Ha, thanks Zeph, hoping that's not this kiss of death after all this! ;)

Apparently this is also true of Irish-German-French-Italian-Lebanese mutts! Lol.

So Kat's getting some pretty good advice over at RC. Tom, one of the moderators, said something that kind of ties into what we're saying about the artificially high Alk + Kalk and how that would effect pH:

Also

So to sum up the general gist of all the advice as I see it:

1.) Stop dosing anything for now, focus on water changes until Alk and Ca are back in the green zone. I realize I previously supported continued 2-part, but why not just keep it simple and focus on the WCs?

2.) Once #1 is good, start with Kalk (perhaps 1tsp/gal?) on ATO - hopefully the ATO is doing even small-dose intervals well-spaced throughout the day..?

3.) Test Ca/Alk every 1-2 days to monitor depletion.

4.) If it's depleting significantly, go to 2tsp, keep testing. If still depleting, start back up with 2-part.

5.) Don't dose anything else that affects Ca/Alk. She might consider Mag but that's later.

Would you agree Zeph?

Hyp!!!!,

When I said I think I like you ??? That has now escalated....YOU ROCK!!!!

Hey Kat, Did I not tell you this EXACT same thing around 1 month ago?

( She will mis conscrew what I said but I told her to do EXACLTY THIS ).

Hyps is my new best friend around here!

SO no...that was not the "kiss of death" but a " Welcome to the family" kiss.

Edited by ZephNYC
Hyp!!!!,

No Zeph. You told me to dose Super Buffer DKH from Kent. Which I did.

Hyps is advising NOT to use any buffer. Ever.

Hyps is saying 1tsp per gallon, you call that my wimpy solution (see quote below)

if you started dosing a saturated solution of kalk RIGHT NOW your system would probably remain stable. If you started dosing your half wimpy solution you will run into troubles again.

I probably would have been a lot more trouble if I had dosed the full strength as you suggested back when my dkh was 15.

So, in conclusion, no, you haven't told me anything that Hyps has said. You just agree with everything and then disagree with the results.

No Zeph. You told me to dose Super Buffer DKH from Kent. Which I did.

Hyps is advising NOT to use any buffer. Ever.

Hyps is saying 1tsp per gallon, you call that my wimpy solution (see quote below)

I probably would have been a lot more trouble if I had dosed the full strength as you suggested back when my dkh was 15.

So, in conclusion, no, you haven't told me anything that Hyps has said. You just agree with everything and then disagree with the results.

Yea,,i said that when your dkh was like 6.

I ALWAYS SAID get your tank correct and add NOTHING BUT KALK and test every couple of days. you know i did i did i did i did.

Hyp!!!!,

LOL Thanks Zeph. :happy:

I ALWAYS SAID get your tank correct and add NOTHING BUT KALK and test every couple of days. you know i did i did i did i did.

If you click on the arrow next to your quote it takes you back to the original post which clearly shows my dkh was 8.0 when you made that comment. Look before you leap.

If you click on the arrow next to your quote it takes you back to the original post which clearly shows my dkh was 8.0 when you made that comment. Look before you leap.

6....8....15....no human can keep up with your parameters.

Oh my look! He tells me to dose super buffer DKH!

Yes...the brains at KENT werent planning on all you nano guys. I guess they made their products for those with tanks larger than a toilet bowl.

Ok..I will stop.. Yea the 10 gal differential sounds like a lot, but dont worry about it. I really like the liquid KENT super dkh, and I dose it in a continious drip side by side with a kalk drip. You should just add it manually in the morning.

You have the powder so dissolve 2 tsp in a glass of RO and add every morning to a high flow area of your sump or tank. Test your DKH every couple of days and add more if needed. Have your tank sitter do this while you are away. When we figure out exactly how much is needed daily to maintain it where you want we will talk about an auto drip if you care to go there.

Edited by metrokat
6....8....15....no human can keep up with your parameters.

I'll make it simple for you

DKH historically has been in the 7 range

Adding BRIGHTWELL 8.3 buffer used to work great.

Problem happened on July 27th when 32OZ of buffer got accidentally dumped in a 12 hour period

DKH =15

Started a 'wimpy' KALK solution first week Aug (week to 10 days after dkh 15)

Did nothing to any parameter.

Stopped it.

Cal tested 250 on Aug 19

dkh 6.1

Started KALK - solution strength recommended by you

10 days into Zephstrength KALK

Cal 300

dkh 9.3

Corals pissed off

Got it now?

I'll make it simple for you

DKH historically has been in the 7 range

Adding BRIGHTWELL 8.3 buffer used to work great.

Problem happened on July 27th when 32OZ of buffer got accidentally dumped in a 12 hour period

DKH =15

Started a 'wimpy' KALK solution first week Aug (week to 10 days after dkh 15)

Did nothing to any parameter.

Stopped it.

Cal tested 250 on Aug 19

dkh 6.1

Started KALK - solution strength recommended by you

10 days into Zephstrength KALK

Cal 300

dkh 9.3

Corals pissed off

Got it now?

Ok, now im just getting pissed off.

From what you just said, kalk raised both your parameters right where they should be. You are welcome. I dont know why your corals are pissed off. Mine and everyone else I know using kalk are happy as CLAMS.

And Yes, I DO dose buffer and Kalk, but I HAVE TO because I have 500 gallons a 30 inch clam, and sps colonies bigger than your entire tank.

I dont know why your corals are pissed off. Mine and everyone else I know using kalk are happy as CLAMS.

Yup. That is what we are all trying to help me with.

I did everything you asked, it didn't work. I'm stumped too.

But you just start out pretending to know whats wrong when I am able to show you your own contradictions and yo yo advice every step of the way.

This is NOT about your tanks, it is about mine. What works for you doesn't for me. That does not mean you start bashing every attempt I make to correct the problem and feel upset when I ask for other opinions. I'm not saying you are wrong. You are not, what you know has worked FOR YOU, forever. But it is not working for ME.

What would be awesome given all of your experience is to apply the knowledge you have which is clearly greater than mine and use it think about MY tank. Not yours. That is why I ask for other opinions, because you don't want to think outside of the box tank you have.