Coral Vue Hydros

I really waned to get a vinegar dosing regimen set up while I was home, but with everything going on, I don't think it's the smartest plan right now. I was also very close to buying a biopellet reactor, but passed on that as well.

I'm gonna set up the doser to dose some vinegar. From what I'm reading, it's pretty hard to overdose, and it doesn't seem like there's any negative when under dosed. I'll start at 2mL and see. This tank could use some more advanced nutrient export.

• Like 3

I'm gonna set up the doser to dose some vinegar. From what I'm reading, it's pretty hard to overdose, and it doesn't seem like there's any negative when under dosed. I'll start at 2mL and see. This tank could use some more advanced nutrient export.

Got any good links on what dosing vinegar does? Never heard of it. Would like some reading.

Are you running carbon or gfo?

Both.

Passively.

Thank you. I had already started my search and reading. So is it essential to use a skimmer when dosing either vinegar or something like mb7?

Yes. Having a powerful skimmer is essential.

Roger,

just watch out, or have the parents watch out, for white snot on the returns. This is a sign bacteria buildup is too much for export and will need to be backed off and raised more slowly. I get this like clockwork if I raise the dose too fast.

• Like 1

Roger,

just watch out, or have the parents watch out, for white snot on the returns. This is a sign bacteria buildup is too much for export and will need to be backed off and raised more slowly. I get this like clockwork if I raise the dose too fast.

Will do. I'm starting at 3ml. I'll hold there for a week or so and see how much of an impact that has. Probably won't raise more than 1ml per week until I find the sweet spot.

Both.

Passively.

Yes. Having a powerful skimmer is essential.

Is it possible to do dosing like this without a skimmer and rigid weekly water changes? I have a fifteen gallon tank, normally do five gallons a week and my total water volume is only like 12 gallons.

Is it possible to do dosing like this without a skimmer and rigid weekly water changes? I have a fifteen gallon tank, normally do five gallons a week and my total water volume is only like 12 gallons.

Dosing carbon sources meant to increase the biomass of bacteria by giving them an extra energy source so they can be manually moved via the skimmer. Without the skimmer the bacteria will just stay in the system instead of being removed.

jedimasterben

No, your tank inhabitants will die in a few days (at most) from oxygen deprivation.

• Like 1

Interesting. Thank u both for the information. So I guess I should also stay away from salts like tropic Marin bio-actif? I was given a bunch of this for free but have yet to use it. I read it has like some sort of carbon dosing element to it. Currently considering options for a skimmer on this 15 gallon sumpless tank.

• Like 1