Top Shelf Aquatics

I'm not going to rip pit down, just going to dip as much as possible, get a wrasse, and maybe try FW exit.

I'll try.

FW exit wont do anything for them i think from my research when i had them.

Try hitting up mark about the red bugs though, didnt he have a way to knock them out? Something about dropping the temperature i think? I think the new version of interceptor is out there somewhere i remember reading about it on my local forums.

I agree. The tank looks great and who knows how long you had the flatworm problem. Get a couple of wrasse and ride this out.

No LFS's here have melanarus. Beyond the reef has a few yellow coris wrasse.

As far as i can tell, they're localized to that one rock structure. I took the stag and kat out to inspect. no signs.

FW exit wont do anything for them i think from my research when i had them.

Try hitting up mark about the red bugs though, didnt he have a way to knock them out? Something about dropping the temperature i think? I think the new version of interceptor is out there somewhere i remember reading about it on my local forums.

The redbugs never seemed to inhibit PE or growth and they corals are so healthy they kinda keep them at bay. Only a dozen or so came off the suharsonoi.

also:

Revive kills AEFW, 2 caps per 500mL and they fell right off, and after 10 minutes none were moving.

• Like 1

No LFS's here have melanarus. Beyond the reef has a few yellow coris wrasse.

As far as i can tell, they're localized to that one rock structure. I took the stag and kat out to inspect. no signs.

The redbugs never seemed to inhibit PE or growth and they corals are so healthy they kinda keep them at bay. Only a dozen or so came off the suharsonoi.

You have red bugs too? Dang it. I just did two dose of Sentinel in my nano SPS holding tank because I have black / red bugs killing off my montis.

Reefwise had a green coris last week. Call them up to see if they still have it. Aquapros said they have a cosmetus wrasse last week too. I was planning to buy the cosmetus this week but you should grab it if they still have it.

I would just dip in Bayer as much as possible and then let the wrasses do the rest. Hope you get this sorted out without too much stress.

You have red bugs too? Dang it. I just did two dose of Sentinel in my nano SPS holding tank because I have black / red bugs killing off my montis.

Reefwise had a green coris last week. Call them up to see if they still have it. Aquapros said they have a cosmetus wrasse last week too. I was planning to buy the cosmetus this week but you should grab it if they still have it.

I would just dip in Bayer as much as possible and then let the wrasses do the rest. Hope you get this sorted out without too much stress.

I called reefwise. They're out of the wrasses. I'm headed to pick up a yellow coris from BTR I'm gonna do a lot of dips this week as well.

I called reefwise. They're out of the wrasses. I'm headed to pick up a yellow coris from BTR I'm gonna do a lot of dips this week as well.

Did you call Aqua Pros? Last week when I was there they had a pinstripe melanarus.

Have you been to Seven Stars? They posted on facebook they have the following just a few days ago. Now I can't vouch for the quality of their fish or whether they do any kind of QT / medication. They are pretty new.

Potters Wrasse
Tricolor Fairy Wrasse
Green Coris
Yellow Coris
Leopard Wrasse
Melanarus
Balteatus Fairy Wrasse, Male, Marshall Islands
Kato's Fairy Wrasse, Male
Koi Fairy Wrasse, Male
African Exquisite Wrasse
Formosa, Juvenile and Adult
Green Bird Wrasse

Is the treatment for red bugs different from FW and AEFW?

Bayer will kill all if you can remove and dip. But there's no in tank treatment for AEFW as far as I know, but you can use Interceptor / Sentinel for red bugs.

I just picked up a coris wrasse. I have a good relationship with BTR.

Awesome! Pics later please. BTR is pretty awesome. Just started going there after I moved. I like how they have lots of big colonies instead of all frags. And they hooked me up with the Kessil light mounts when they got their first shipment in.

• Like 1

Bayer will kill all if you can remove and dip. But there's no in tank treatment for AEFW as far as I know, but you can use Interceptor / Sentinel for red bugs.

Awesome! Pics later please. BTR is pretty awesome. Just started going there after I moved. I like how they have lots of big colonies instead of all frags. And they hooked me up with the Kessil light mounts when they got their first shipment in.

I have pics. I'm grabbing lunch now. I'll get them up when i'm home again. Need to set up a dip tank too.

• Like 3

I have pics. I'm grabbing lunch now. I'll get them up when i'm home again. Need to set up a dip tank too.

I like all this. you got six days home and you are all in attack and conquer mode! good luck!

• Like 2

Shitty situation. Good luck getting rid of everything! One thought.. If your corals all were doing well enough to fight off the pests, are you sure you want to stress them out a bunch by removing them and dipping them and all that?

Ive not dealt with an issue like this.. but if it was me maybe a wrasse or 2 to keep populations low and keep doing what youre doing to keep the corals happy?

Just brainstorming here! either way i wish you the best, you have a very nice looking tank and id hate to see it get shut down.

So IMO don't panic about the AEFW, I only saw bites on the smooth skin. I would dip, inspect for eggs, trim as needed, and replace. For all we know red bugs have been slowing down the flatworms. You said this one receded before and then came back, so it might be similar to my MEN which vanished after a period of time.

If you are dipping everything now is a good time to get rid of the red bugs, but you know there are plenty of stories about people eliminating the red bug and having an AEFW explosion.

I would add a few peppermint shrimp who may eat AEFW eggs.

Shitty situation. Good luck getting rid of everything! One thought.. If your corals all were doing well enough to fight off the pests, are you sure you want to stress them out a bunch by removing them and dipping them and all that?

Ive not dealt with an issue like this.. but if it was me maybe a wrasse or 2 to keep populations low and keep doing what youre doing to keep the corals happy?

Just brainstorming here! either way i wish you the best, you have a very nice looking tank and id hate to see it get shut down.

You bring up an interesting point. He has/had a flame angel which is notorious for nipping polyps. It is quite possible that while it was munching polyps, it also ate some of the pests, like a side sauce or sometime. Eat polyp, chase with bug.

So IMO don't panic about the AEFW, I only saw bites on the smooth skin. I would dip, inspect for eggs, trim as needed, and replace. For all we know red bugs have been slowing down the flatworms. You said this one receded before and then came back, so it might be similar to my MEN which vanished after a period of time.

If you are dipping everything now is a good time to get rid of the red bugs, but you know there are plenty of stories about people eliminating the red bug and having an AEFW explosion.

I would add a few peppermint shrimp who may eat AEFW eggs.

:o links?

• Like 3

You bring up an interesting point. He has/had a flame angel which is notorious for nipping polyps. It is quite possible that while it was munching polyps, it also ate some of the pests, like a side sauce or sometime. Eat polyp, chase with bug.

:o links?

Nope, all anecdotal. A few people on RC have used them in tanks that were impossible to tear down and it seemed to work. Peppermints might do damage though, tough call. I'm patiently waiting for the research to be done on on why some researchers lost a tank of thriving AEFW setup for experiments.

• Like 1

Revive is a good pest remover, and doesn't stress corals out too much. even at 2x the dosage.

Thanks for the positive vibes, I need them right now. :/

• Like 1

Newest additions to the tank:

3" Diamond Goby. Love these fish.

23265918694_5bf9608409_b.jpgDiamond by Roger Klein, on Flickr

3" Yellow Coris Wrasse

23868014466_56114125e3_b.jpgY Coris by Roger Klein, on Flickr

Additional things I've done today:

Tested parameters- everything is low because the doser was offline for 24 hours.

Adjusted parameters

Dipped the hawkins, aucleus, elegance.

To do:

Retest water parameters.

Dip the torch, flowerpot rock, katropora rock.

you are not using Bayer??

nope. I don't see the need, revive is killing them just fine.

• Like 3

nice, i keep reading mix results with Revive against AEFW. I rather not use Bayer too if possible since it's more work.

People said revive doesn't kill redbugs. it did for me.

people said revive doesn't kill AEFW, it did for me.

haha I dunno.

• Like 1

You could always get a velvet sea slug.

+1, but it significantly reduces the amount of light in the photos, so usually need to use a slower shutter speed to make up for it. Great for photos of corals with the pumps off, can basically take all the time you want :D

You beat me to it. I was gonna say with his settings stated above, that is going to be a super dark image.

You could always get a velvet sea slug.

You beat me to it. I was gonna say with his settings stated above, that is going to be a super dark image.

1/2" to 1/3" SS gave me decent exposures, I'd say.

And a sea slug with 4 mp10s?! No thank you. Lol

1/2" to 1/3" SS gave me decent exposures, I'd say.

And a sea slug with 4 mp10s?! No thank you. Lol

Yeah that's on the slower SS end. You can use the foam guards. It will wipe out the flatworm population within a week; mine did. I sold it after I was done with it.