Pod Your Reef

saltwatercoral
Thanks for the help. Im also considering a 45g cube.

45g is nice. Look on the first page and you can see the SOL BLUE on my 45g from Marineland. Never filled it though, lol.

going to gettin my 120g up here VERY SOON! :D

Have a couple questions for the 'Aqua Illuminations Club' about the AI Nano I received today ...

• the nuts that come screwed onto the bolts - do they have an intended use?

• do the bolts that attach the module to the mounting arm screw all the way in so the top of the module is snug with the bottom of the mounting arm?

• does the mounting arm just slide over the slip of a rimless tank for attachment or is it supposed to be secured somehow? There are holes in the mounting arm that make me think that some sort of nylon bolt or spacer is required.

Have a couple questions for the 'Aqua Illuminations Club' about the AI Nano I received today ...

• the nuts that come screwed onto the bolts - do they have an intended use?

Yes. Put the bolts through the top end of the bracket, then the nuts on the bolts, but do not tighten yet. just get them up pretty close to the bottom of the bracket.

• do the bolts that attach the module to the mounting arm screw all the way in so the top of the module is snug with the bottom of the mounting arm?

No. Design is for the Nano to be floating on the bolts about an inch below the bracket. you DO NOT want to screw the bolts all the way down into the top of the Nano too much. Just look through the side of the Nano through the heat sink and make sure the bolts do not extend down too far. Once you've screwed them in enough to be secure THEN you tighten the nuts up against the bottom of the bracket. Purpose is to "lock" them into place and not allow them to back out.

• does the mounting arm just slide over the slip of a rimless tank for attachment or is it supposed to be secured somehow? There are holes in the mounting arm that make me think that some sort of nylon bolt or spacer is required.

Yes. Mounting arm should be wide enough to slip over the edge of most rimless tanks. Yes there should be nylon screws included in the bracket to secure the arm to the tank and take up any slack.

Congratulations on your new AI Nano. You will love it! Please see answers above...

Edited by SynRG

Thanks SynRG ...

Looks like my Nano make in missing the nylon screws and according to the box it should have included a users manual which I don't have ... I'll get in touch with Premium Aquatics tomorrow and see if they can help me out.

Had the light on for bout an hour or so (it's on my new rimless tank that is sitting dry) and I cannot believe how bright this thing is!

Thanks SynRG ...

Looks like my Nano make in missing the nylon screws and according to the box it should have included a users manual which I don't have ... I'll get in touch with Premium Aquatics tomorrow and see if they can help me out.

Had the light on for bout an hour or so (it's on my new rimless tank that is sitting dry) and I cannot believe how bright this thing is!

Here are some pics to help see what I'm talking about. I think the screws were already in my bracket. maybe they are in your packaging?

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Thanks for the pics!

Yea - I went pack and looked all through the bubble wrap and definitely don't have those black nylon screws ... my glass is 3/8" so for now the arm mount is actually fairly stable just slid over the rim.

Thanks for the pics!

Yea - I went pack and looked all through the bubble wrap and definitely don't have those black nylon screws ... my glass is 3/8" so for now the arm mount is actually fairly stable just slid over the rim.

Go directly to the source for the manual and screws support@aquaillumination.com They have awesome support. Weird yours shipped with no nylon screws or manual... Come to think about it, mine did not come with a full manual either. Just a "Nano Quick Start Guide" which has the Warranty and Registration info on the backside.

Edited by SynRG
Tron is that your old tank?

ya lol, we met up the other night and he got it for a steal IMO (took up space in our storage)

he got the tank

the mj900 utility pump

even the INTANK fish saver!!! lol

for dirt cheap :)

Haha, check the sig.

Do you think 1 SOL module is enough for a 24x24x12? I'm about to get that. If the LEDs won't work I'm going back to MH. I think I can get away with temp issues with the light mounted higher. And actually, since my controller is busted,.....until Monday......I've been using the MH for 6 hours only and it's not swinging the temp that much. And I'm sorry but the color is so much better. I know, I know I love my AI, but you can't fake a Phoenix 14k. Not even for $500.00.

Do you think 1 SOL module is enough for a 24x24x12? I'm about to get that. If the LEDs won't work I'm going back to MH. I think I can get away with temp issues with the light mounted higher. And actually, since my controller is busted,.....until Monday......I've been using the MH for 6 hours only and it's not swinging the temp that much. And I'm sorry but the color is so much better. I know, I know I love my AI, but you can't fake a Phoenix 14k. Not even for $500.00.

I have a 23X22X16 and found out I needed 2 AOL SOLs since I have placed them 4" above water level, if you hang them 12" above the water level you may be ok with just 1 unit since the spread will be much better

I have a 23X22X16 and found out I needed 2 AOL SOLs since I have placed them 4" above water level, if you hang them 12" above the water level you may be ok with just 1 unit since the spread will be much better

I think your right, but I'm worried that if it's up higher it wont be enough PAR to support sps. I truly dont know if that is accurate at all but I want it to be perfect...since I can now use the experience I have on a completely new setup!

On a side note. I found this. Since I like AI and shallow tanks, I thought I'd post it here.

607d1649.jpg

Link to build thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1969509

saltwatercoral
I think your right, but I'm worried that if it's up higher it wont be enough PAR to support sps. I truly dont know if that is accurate at all but I want it to be perfect...since I can now use the experience I have on a completely new setup!

On a side note. I found this. Since I like AI and shallow tanks, I thought I'd post it here.

607d1649.jpg

Link to build thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1969509

Free lookin at the thread, it looks like that is his frag tank... Right?

I POSTED THIS INFO IN A THREAD BUT MAYBE SOME MORE INFO WILL BE GIVEN HERE!

i have had my aqua illuminations sol nano for a few weeks now, im using the ai controller as well, ive had zero issues at all with it except sometimes when i would jiggle the plug a bit at the light unit it would reset my controller, no big deal i wouldnt have thought?

well anyway the other day i unplugged it set it down on my couch, (never banged it hard or dropped it or got water on it what so ever!) then i setup my new skimmer, only to find when i plugged my sol unit back in, the leds flash all in a constant lower power ammount over and over non stop?? the controller works fine and appears to be doing all the proper things it says it is on screen with timers/a thunderstorm whatever....but the light is still only flashing over and over, all 10 leds at the same time evenly with maybe a second in between each flash.....anybody ever heard of this problem? i love my ai light but this really sucks!

its on warranty still and i have all reciepts too so if its drivers are pooched or whatever else it may be it better be replaced! it was alot of money to spend to have this issue 2 months later....

it does the same thing with or without the controller plugged in.

Edited by karisma
saltwatercoral

i have had my aqua illuminations sol nano for a few months now, im using the ai controller as well, ive had zero issues at all with it except sometimes when i would jiggle the plug a bit at the light unit it would reset my controller, no big deal i wouldnt have thought?

well anyway the other day i unplugged it set it down on my couch, (never banged it hard or dropped it or got water on it what so ever!) then i setup my new skimmer, only to find when i plugged my sol unit back in, the leds flash all in a constant lower power ammount over and over non stop?? the controller works fine and appears to be doing all the proper things it says it is on screen with timers/a thunderstorm whatever....but the light is still only flashing over and over, all 10 leds at the same time evenly with maybe a second in between each flash.....anybody ever heard of this problem? i love my ai light but this really sucks!

its on warranty still and i have all reciepts too so if its drivers are pooched or whatever else it may be it better be replaced! it was alot of money to spend to have this issue 2 months later....

Sooty to hear about that. They normal don't have any problems at all. I know a small amount of problems I have heard about were all taken care of by AI. Contact there customer service and see what they can do for you. Doesn't sound like a controller problem though. Maybe a prob with the power in the light itself. Hope all works out for ya!

If anyone else has any suggestions, chime in!

i have had my aqua illuminations sol nano for a few months now, im using the ai controller as well, ive had zero issues at all with it except sometimes when i would jiggle the plug a bit at the light unit it would reset my controller, no big deal i wouldnt have thought?

Have you tried a factory reset with your controller yet? Will wipe out all your timers, but worth a shot. Here's a video http://youtu.be/OCCBvTNKmyE skip to 1:03 If that does not work then contact AI support. They are great and will get you taken care of.

Edited by SynRG
Have you tried a factory reset with your controller yet? Will wipe out all your timers, but worth a shot. Here's a video http://youtu.be/OCCBvTNKmyE skip to 1:03 If that does not work then contact AI support. They are great and will get you taken care of.

Also have you tried unplugging the controller and light and powering down completely? Then plug the light back in without the controller and see if it functions properly on its own. If it does then I'd do the factory reset on the controller and see if the problem is resolved. Also check the firmware version on the controller to make sure it is up to date.

YES, i have done everything, including doing a factory reset, and upgrading the firmware (it was already v 3.2) but i tried anyway, IT IS NOT THE CONTROLLER as it appears to be doing what it normally does on the controller screen but the sol unit does not reespond to anything, it only flashes all 10 leds at the same time.

i have tried it as a stand alone unit again without the controller plugged into it and it only does the same type of flashing over and over, and the touch controls are seemingly inactive (they dont work now) ive even tried in another outlet in my home, not using any power bar type either.

I appreciate all of your suggestions and comments but i think this unit is a dud, i have emailed ai support yesterday and i will be contacting Aqua Illuminations support by telephone first thing tomorrow morning and hopefully have a new unit sent for replacement.

thanks again, and if anyone else has had this issue perhaps im missing something as to why this happened.

Edited by karisma
saltwatercoral
YES, i have done everything, including doing a factory reset, and upgrading the firmware (it was already v 3.2) but i tried anyway, IT IS NOT THE CONTROLLER as it appears to be doing what it normally does on the controller screen but the sol unit does not reespond to anything, it only flashes all 10 leds at the same time.

i have tried it as a stand alone unit again without the controller plugged into it and it only does the same type of flashing over and over, and the touch controls are seemingly inactive (they dont work now) ive even tried in another outlet in my home, not using any power bar type either.

I appreciate all of your suggestions and comments but i think this unit is a dud, i have emailed ai support yesterday and i will be contacting Aqua Illuminations support by telephone first thing tomorrow morning and hopefully have a new unit sent for replacement.

thanks again, and if anyone else has had this issue perhaps im missing something as to why this happened.

Sorry again, let us know how it all turns out!

MyLittleGremlin

If I remember correctly... when programing the controller the ability to use the AI manually is turned off by the controller.

The AI cannot work manually because it is set for the controller to work only. Problem then is the controler.

If I remember correctly... when programing the controller the ability to use the AI manually is turned off by the controller.

The AI cannot work manually because it is set for the controller to work only. Problem then is the controler.

Im going to try another controller tomorrow.

Im going to try another controller tomorrow.

Well if you plug in the LEDs and do not use the controller and it doesn't work...it's the light IMO. I had an issue with one out of every three LEDs flickering. I just squeezed the housing a bit and now it's fine. But it sounds like there's a malfunction in your circuitry. Let us know.

Well if you plug in the LEDs and do not use the controller and it doesn't work...it's the light IMO. I had an issue with one out of every three LEDs flickering. I just squeezed the housing a bit and now it's fine. But it sounds like there's a malfunction in your circuitry. Let us know.

I agree it is probably the the light. Make sure the mounting screws are not too tight and putting pressure on the circuit board. most likely not the issue, but... Weird that it was working fine until you disconnected it though. If it had started malfunctioning while in use it would make more sense. Sure AI will get you taken care of. Their support is excellent! Keep us updated.

i would have to agree with pschom and SynRG, but what my little gremlin is saying is that since i have a controller plugged into it that the light is set for it and i cant use it manually, this to me makes no sense at all because if i have disconnected the controller i could use the light and controls before, i think...

anybody care to try this with their sol nano and controller? unplug the controller and see if your light switches back to manual touchface controlled mode...