ReefCleaners.org

Hello everyone I finally got my AI Nano and controller up and running on my 12 gal. JBJ tank. What would be a good setting for just starting the lights I don't want to burn up my stuff...

Thanks

Start at 20-30 max. Increase 5% every 2 weeks. Back off if you see things going south. Resist the urge to turn it up faster. After acclimating your corals will love it.

Have a question about my AI Nano running on the base controller ...

I programmed the base controller this morning and throughout the day the AI Nano ran thru the light intensity transition points ... however, when the last transition point expired (the moonlight) the module turned off but is flashing a dull white/green light ever so lightly from the lenses.

Is this normal or did I possibly program the base controller incorrectly?

My lighting cycle is currently set at:

T1: 7:00am • 5/10/10 • 20m ramp period

T2: 9:00am • 10/20/20 • 20m ramp period

T3: 5:00pm • 5/10/10 • 20m ramp period

T4: 6:00pm • 0/0/1 • 20m ramp period

T5: 9:00pm • 0/0/0 • 1m ramp period

Lunar Cycles - Off

Thunderstorms 0%

The flashing light is constant in that it was flashing once per second but it was very light - if I hadn't seen the reflection off the glass lid I most likely wouldn't have known it was doing it. This lighting cycles was set just to understand how the controller works and my tank is currently empty.

My lighting cycle is currently set at:

T1: 7:00am • 5/10/10 • 20m ramp period

T2: 9:00am • 10/20/20 • 20m ramp period

T3: 5:00pm • 5/10/10 • 20m ramp period

T4: 6:00pm • 0/0/1 • 20m ramp period

Lunar Cycles - Off

Thunderstorms 0%

The flashing light is constant in that it was flashing once per second but it was very light - if I hadn't seen the reflection off the glass lid I most likely wouldn't have known it was doing it. This lighting cycles was set just to understand how the controller works and my tank is currently empty.

Have to have at least 4% intensity for anything to be visible on the lunar cycle when it is a new moon. Also I asked AI Support about the flashing LED up in the unit and they said it is completely normal. Only time you will see it is if the unit is on and all the LEDs are 0% intensity.

Edited by SynRG
Have to have at least 4% intensity for anything to be visible on the lunar cycle when it is a new moon. Also I asked AI Support about the flashing LED up in the unit and they said it is completely normal. Only time you will see it is if the unit is on and all the LEDs are 0% intensity.

Ok, thanks for the help SynRG ...

I have the lunar cycles set to 'no'. The 1% Royal makes for a nice moonlight but are you saying I need to have it at 4% if I turn lunar cycles to 'yes'?

I may have found my mistake. I actually had the white and blue set to '-' for T4 and then when I set up T5 I changed it to '0/0/0' whereas maybe what I should have done is set T5 to '-/-/-'

What I Programmed:

T4: 6:00pm • -/-/1 • 20m ramp period

What I Should Have Programmed:

T5: 9:00pm • -/-/- • 1m ramp period

Ok, thanks for the help SynRG ...

I have the lunar cycles set to 'no'. The 1% Royal makes for a nice moonlight but are you saying I need to have it at 4% if I turn lunar cycles to 'yes'?

I may have found my mistake. I actually had the white and blue set to '-' for T4 and then when I set up T5 I changed it to '0/0/0' whereas maybe what I should have done is set T5 to '-/-/-'

What I Programmed:

What I Should Have Programmed:

T5: 9:00pm • -/-/- • 1m ramp period

When you set the W/B/RY to "-" that timer will not effect those colors. They will be carried over from your previous timer. I set all W/B/RY on all timers. The Ramp periods will either ramp up or ramp down depending on the intensity set on the previous timer. Ex. If you have a timer set at 30/35/35 and the next timer set at 40/40/40 with a ramp of 60m it will take 60m to ramp up to the higher intensity. The reverse is also true... if you have a timer set at 40/40/40 and then one set at 30/35/35 with a ramp of 60m it will take 60m to ramp down to the lower intensity when that timer kicks in.

Lunar follows the actual lunar cycle which is pretty cool, but at full moon and 4% intensity it is pretty bright. The reason you have to have it set at at least 4% is for it to cycle through the entire lunar phase and still be visible. I think I bumped mine to 5% because at the new moon (lowest intensity) it was not visible. The lunar cycle like the thunderstorms are personal preference. I think they are cool, but you might just prefer a low intensity set moonlight with lunar off. Some believe mimicking nature with the lunar phases could promote spawning, but I just like the way it looks. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info ...

I had the AI Nano for about 2 weeks before I received my controller - I have to say the AI controller really opens things up in how you can use this light.

Thanks for the info ...

I had the AI Nano for about 2 weeks before I received my controller - I have to say the AI controller really opens things up in how you can use this light.

I believe AI recommends to put the Lunar cycle peak intensity at 8b. But, like anything else it's personal preference. I have the SOL at 8 and it's awesome. All inverts actually molt with the lunar cycle. So when it's completely dark they molt. Or when I decide to dose iodine...they molt as well. Probably not the most healthy thing for them. You could set a ramp down time for the lunar cycle to get a sunset effect. Sorry if you've already done that. I didn't read the whole thing.

Hello guys!

My store located in Sao Paulo, Brazil. This is the LPS frag tank.

That is one AI Nano project we are working on (more info: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=289533)

Love the SOLs over your frag tank and the pieces look really nice. Also the Cube looks cool. The stock mounting arm works very well. Please keep us posted. Will be sure to come check out your store next time I'm in Sao Paulo (wife is from there). Shoot me a PM with your address. Also if you are ever in Orlando look me up.

Hi guys, I'm looking into getting a Nano unit, where can I find the best deal online?

AI pretty much sets the price at $299 for authorized sellers and most offer free shipping. I purchased mine from Aquarium Specialty and received it within 3 days. Excellent service! I've also heard that Reef Geek is good. I highly recommend that you get the controller too.

Thanks for the reply SynRG. Is there any concesus on the blue or white version yet?

I believe that the Nano only come in Blue. Even if you do have a choice, choose the blue :D

I'm thinking about buying an AI nano, but I haven't seen anyone directly address how they've solved the cord lengthening issue. I need 15 feet of cord between the power brick, controller, and the fixture. What kind of cord should I use for power? What kind of cord would I need to get 15 feet from the controller to the fixture?

Also, is there a way to hang the fixture with wire cable?

Thanks for your help.

Cant wait for the Vega to come out. Who else is upgrading? I know I am. If anyone is interested I will have an AI Sol Blue with controller about 3 months at 8 hours a day for sale soon.

Cant wait for the Vega to come out. Who else is upgrading? I know I am. If anyone is interested I will have an AI Sol Blue with controller about 3 months at 8 hours a day for sale soon.

What is Vega??

I thought the new fixture was called Phoenix?? :huh:

On Aqua Illuminations website they talk lots about Upgradability with these fixtures so im sure there will be some updates or upgrades for the sol ? Maybe some pc software?