Pod Your Reef

Asureef's Red Sea Reefer + *Frag Tank*

Asureef

You have good taste in your coral selection. I have put the pearlberry and pink/puple pollicopora on my wishlist. I was hoping you could help me regarding my lighting choice. We have the same tank dimensions and I want a 6 bulb Ati Sunpower fixture or 2 kessil A150s. In your experience, do you need to have a chiller with the 6 bulb T5 lighting?

Wow, those look awesome. Did you mail order them and if so, where? Thanks.

Yes, I purchased these from Copps over on RC.

yeahhhhhh.......i wish i was rich like you.

lol ... I'm not.

You have good taste in your coral selection. I have put the pearlberry and pink/puple pollicopora on my wishlist. I was hoping you could help me regarding my lighting choice. We have the same tank dimensions and I want a 6 bulb Ati Sunpower fixture or 2 kessil A150s. In your experience, do you need to have a chiller with the 6 bulb T5 lighting?

My tank needs a chiller during the summer regardless of lighting type, because our house stays pretty warm when no one is home. There's not much heat transferred from the sunpower at all to the tank. Without a chiller, the tank would hover around 85F in the summer. I know a few locals who run ATI and they do not need a chiller.

Thanks guys!

Yes, I purchased these from Copps over on RC.

Pssstt..... Don't tell anyone..... But that's where I got my red dragon from!

BTW, How are those Mr. Coral frags lookin'? :huh:

Pssstt..... Don't tell anyone..... But that's where I got my red dragon from!

John is a legendary reefer and a great guy to deal with, his SPS collection is massive!

BTW, How are those Mr. Coral frags lookin'? :huh:

They are doing fine, haven't colored up much though. But, a few pieces have started to encrust. I lost two out of the eleven I received and one of them was a mille.

SPS are not very forgiving. I forgot to power back up my doser after maintenance a week or two ago,\ and the ALK. dropped to 6dkh. I brought it back up slowly within 7 days to 8dkh and didn't lose anything. Then, just two days ago my heater failed, which allowed the temp to drop to 68F. With the combination of alk. and temp swing, I lost a total of 8 SPS frags. Red planet, lokani, blue bottlebrush, strawberry shortcake, teal stag, just to name a few.

Hope yours are doing well.

Edited by Asureef
John is a legendary reefer and a great guy to deal with, his SPS collection is massive!

I agree with you there. And not only that, but he is also the angelfish guru!!

They are doing fine, haven't colored up much though. But, a few pieces have started to encrust. I lost two out of the eleven I received and one of them was a mille.

SPS are not very forgiving. I forgot to power back up my doser after maintenance a week or two ago,\ and the ALK. dropped to 6dkh. I brought it back up slowly within 7 days to 8dkh and didn't lose anything. Then, just two days ago my heater failed, which allowed the temp to drop to 68F. With the combination of alk. and temp swing, I lost a total of 8 SPS frags. Red planet, lokani, blue bottlebrush, strawberry shortcake, teal stag, just to name a few.

Hope yours are doing well.

Well that sucks, you had some beautiful pieces!

Fortunately, all of mine survived and growing with great colors. I only wish they had labeled the bags that the frags came in so I would know which piece is which.

Edited by basser1
  • 3 weeks later...

Everytime I see this thread it makes me want to go in the corner and sit there all day because your tank is errrr better than mine in every way possible lol!

Man you have a sweet setup going here.

I love the SPS!

Beautiful tank.

This defiantly is gonna be tank of the month one day.100%

Sorry to hear about the loss i just suffered a similar incident where i left my doser on too long and alk shocked a few frags to death.

Oh, I've done that before. Nearly nuked my first tank when I experimented with dosing. When setting the ON time on the doser, I forgot to set an OFF time. :huh:

Update?

Well, everything has been going down hill recently. There was a power outage that happened a week ago, which lasted a mere 6hrs, but was enough to cause a chain reaction of STN. Most of my SPS, mainly Acros have been losing tissue from the base one by one. I've done everything I can to keep the water perimeters in line and trying to save a few SPS pieces. To top it off, I'm getting a lot of hair aglae and I'm sure now the dry rock is to blame. Seems to be leaching phosphate, which I recently found out BRS and macrorock dry rocks are notoriously known for.

Not much I can do now, but to wait this out. But, since the power outage, I've come to a conclusion that I really need a good backup. So, I now have a Ecotech backup battery for my MP10s and have a Honda EU2000i generator on the way.

SouthFlorida_Tron

U don't have one of those battery powered air stones? Got those like crazy here in so flo due to hurricanes & bad weather lol

Sux to hear tho

Edited by SouthFlorida_Tron
U don't have one of those battery powered air stones? Got those like crazy here in so flo due to hurricanes & bad weather lol

Sux to hear tho

No, We normally don't have many power outages. I now find it ironic to spend so much in a build and not have a backup plan.

• 3 weeks later...
Hows the tank doing since the outage asureef?

^ this ^

The tank is recovering, slowly. Thanks for asking guys!

I lost a few prized SPS frags due to the outage and water quality issues. But, I think everything is back on track now, hopefully.

Here's some of my first attempts at taking "top down" photos. It was actually harder than I thought, got my lens wet a few times. :)

img6973cc.jpg

img7013cc.jpg

img6965cc.jpg

img6965cc.jpg

img7021cc.jpg

img6998cc.jpg

img6979cc.jpg

Hope the colors are okay, just got myself a new Apple cinema display and haven't got a chance to calibrate it yet.

img7040cc.jpg

Edited by Asureef
wow those frags look great. Im glad everything else is recovering.

Those pictures are dope.

Good luck with the full recovery.

Thanks guys!

Great recovery! I need to get a back up plan myself... I'm too busy buying more and more hardware.... Also, I'm only 1 state down. Where in NC are you?

Yeah, I went with the Honda EU2000i generator for power backup. I can tell you this little thing is compact and pretty quiet. Hopefully, I won't have to use it anytime soon. BTW, I'm in Charlotte.

Very nice tank, some fast questions. I want a very similar setup.

Does your ATO and chiller sit in your stand?

What are the measurements on the stand that came with your 40g?

Whats the bump out measurement into the tank of the overflow?

Do you think one AI SOL would light this tank being 36" long?

SouthFlorida_Tron
Very nice tank, some fast questions. I want a very similar setup.

Does your ATO and chiller sit in your stand?

What are the measurements on the stand that came with your 40g?

Whats the bump out measurement into the tank of the overflow?

Do you think one AI SOL would light this tank being 36" long?

the sol would have to be around 12"++ high to have that spread