inTank Media Baskets

JBJ Owners Club!

Mini-Dude

guess nobody cleans there chambers! maybe thats why people get old tank syndrome! never doing a spring cleaning

I am still curing LR but I don't plan on cleaning my rear chambers ever. I will clean skimmer, pumps and hoses every month or two, but AWOL CUC will be it for me back there. I don't plan on running any floss or chemical filter either but plans can change.

Okay I think I finally figured it out.... they are not mushrooms like the LFS said.... the guy there is full of SH!T..

and I am a newbei so there ya go.... anyway I think they are MAXI-MINI ANEMONE's

aka.

MINIIATURE CARPET ANEMONE's

Now I can stop with the Shroom question.. I don't know what I was thinking they don't even look like mushrooms.. :huh:

You didn't eat any shrooms did you? :huh: I like it to be a surprise sometimes. Something cool will pop out either way. If it doesn't suit you tank, swap it.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Grape, lots of ppl are running floss and they say that it clears floating particles.

Going to try and not use floss if I can help it. Might put a ball of Chaeto in front of the overflow. Just one more thing to worry about, but if particles are a problem I will do what I gotta do!

Just picked up one of the two little fishes nano mags. Not sure how long it will last but it sure works a lot better than my mag float. Even gets some algae on the curved corners. Really like how slim it is.

Telekinesis

I sincerely urge all the JBJ owners to find a good local connection for coral pick-ups if you can do so. Join a saltwater club in your area, go to a frag swap, etc. Please do not pay $40-$100 for one polyp of anything. This is getting ridiculous and your purchase will only add fuel to the fire. We need to keep these price tags in check so more hobbyists can enjoy their tanks without breaking their banks.

rossruffino

Stocked my whole tank with Frags from local reefers for $25, trades, and freebies. And i Spent $19 on my Clown. Best $44 dollars yet!

Oceanic owners club, imo.

I will make one if you want me to ;) wait do you even have a Oceanic? :P

Going to try and not use floss if I can help it. Might put a ball of Chaeto in front of the overflow. Just one more thing to worry about, but if particles are a problem I will do what I gotta do!

Ok that should be ok..talk to urbankes if you have any prob

I sincerely urge all the JBJ owners to find a good local connection for coral pick-ups if you can do so. Join a saltwater club in your area, go to a frag swap, etc. Please do not pay $40-$100 for one polyp of anything. This is getting ridiculous and your purchase will only add fuel to the fire. We need to keep these price tags in check so more hobbyists can enjoy their tanks without breaking their banks.

Yeah that redicullas I see those in the classifided all the time and Im likw WTH?

Amen!

I know I'm new to the game but I thought I got a pretty good deal... ended up with 6 decent frags for $30.. although with gas prices it cost me like 25 more to put gas in my truck to drive 25 miles.... almost cheaper to buy online and pay the overnight shipping..

Later

Gas prices suck!

I agree 70 to fill up my 350Z. Time to buy a Volt :D

Also I have a JBJ28HQI - I love the tank just need to install a chiller gets up to 82-83 during the day :/

Yeah the heat issue with the HQI was the only reason I wasn't going to get it.

I added the dual Azoo fans over the back and i run at 78 all day long... just watch the evaporation...2 times a day i top off... i love the shimmer of the hqi

I know I'm new to the game but I thought I got a pretty good deal... ended up with 6 decent frags for $30.. although with gas prices it cost me like 25 more to put gas in my truck to drive 25 miles.... almost cheaper to buy online and pay the overnight shipping..

Later

Might be cheaper if they could ship them. I have done that when it would cost more in gas and my time was limited but I still wanted the frags.

Telekinesis
Plus I wouldnt want to drive that long and risk death

Never had any problem with that, so I wouldn't know. I drive about 30 minutes to get to and from my local coral dealer and around 25 minutes for my main LFS. I've even stopped to eat with a starfish + various inverts in the car before heading home and they're all still kicking in my tank.

I feel sorry for those who don't have local shops. It's much cheaper/quicker for me than buying online and paying shipping prices. My car is a gas saver, anyway. :P

geckoman2003
I agree 70 to fill up my 350Z. Time to buy a Volt :D

Also I have a JBJ28HQI - I love the tank just need to install a chiller gets up to 82-83 during the day :/

Oh no! You did not just say that. Don't buy into the hype. Ask yourself why are gas prices high. The pres said yesterday that supply is better now then it was in 2003. Yet the price is still rising. Why? Look at what was said 2.5 yrs ago during the campaigns. Do your home work people, and don't buy into the green hype.

Ok I'm getting off of my soap box, and don't want to offend anyone. However, I think there will be a new Justin Beiber song coming out soon called "Drill baby, drill". Sorry I have two little girls. I can't get his crapy songs out of my head. His songs mixed with the other voices are driving me crazy. It is realy bad when the other voices start singing his songs and after singing they scream "Winning".

acropora1981

Here is my SPS dominant 28G JBJ Cube.

IMG00001-20110301-2103.jpg

Equipment List

Tank - Topless JBJ 28 G

Lighting - 250W DE MH Pendant (Sunlight Supply LumenMax3) on IceCap Ballast w/Phoenix 14K bulb

Heating & Cooling - Hydor Theo 100W/4" diameter Fan

Controller - ReefKeeper Lite - iTemp probe located in central rear chamber.

Flow - Hydor Koralia 750 on RKL wavemaker (12 seconds on/8 seconds off)

Return Pump - MJ 1200 (on left side only - i have the right side capped)

Skimmer - Eshopps PSK 75H

Calcium - AquaMaxx CR-1 Calcium Reactor (On Milwaukee controller) AND AquaMedic Kalk Stirrer

Top Off - JBJ ATO dosing Kalk from 5g resevoir w/MJ 1200 feed pump. The JBJ is 'reset' about 8 times a day using the RKL because otherwise it doesn't dose enough kalk. At some point it will be replaced with the SL1 and probes from DigitalAquatics.

Other - Chemical Filtration - I use the standard media basket that comes with the JBJ to hold (from top to bottom) - NPX biopellets, GFO, and Chemi-pure. GFO and chemi-pure are changed about every 8 weeks, and I only use about 2 tablespoons of each.

Water changes are done around every three weeks - usually about 5 gallons.

I've had no trouble fitting all of the listed equipment in the rear chamber of the ATO.

Livestock List

Fish: 1 bangaii cardinal

Inverts: knobby cucumber, dwarf coral banded shrimp, emerald crab, snails of various kinds, 1 derasa clam

Soft corals: xenia, blue mushrooms, dragon eye zoa, deepwater zoa, purple death palys, grandis palys, green palau nepthea, orange ricordea, red mushrooms, various unknown zoa/paly polyps, 1 photosynthetic and very large gorgonian.

LPS: 1 orange plate, branching green/purple hammer, branching green frogspawn, 2 duncans - 1 massive, one branching, 2 acans

SPS: ~10 species of blue, purple or green acropora's, 3 M.digitata's (green, purple and orange), 2 M. capricornis one red/orange one green/purple rim, rainbow montipora (encrusting), 2 types of seriatopora, 1 green/pink pocillipora

acropora1981
Nice....is it the HQI version?

No, its a hanging 250W Pendant. It does not have the stock hood nor the HQI hood. Its a Sunlight Supply LumenMax 3 250W Metal Halide Pendent (DE) suspended about 10" above the water surface.

Archived