Coral Vue Hydros

JBJ Owners Club!

Mini-Dude

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking to update the lights on my 24 gal. Any suggestions?

Looking to keep the stock hood or ditching it?

I ditched the stock hood before I even put water in my 28. Running a 250 watt MH Current sunpod. A nice 150 MH set up would be nice for a 24.

JEK, where did you get your rock from?

15 lb from Marco and 10 lb bulk reef supply ... when it got to my house it was more like 20 lbs from Marco and

15 lb from bulk reef supply those 2 places hook you up with some extra weight.... order the Pukani from bulk.. I got 3 foot ball size PC's and a few softball sizes. Marco's rock is nice too they hooked me up too..... all the rock was like softball size but builds extremely well...

Last night picked up 5 Coral frags from a local kid... found him on Craigslist .... 6 frags 30 bucks will post pics later on..

rossruffino

Well I thought I'd tag along for this thread and add my tank to the mix.

Tank Specs:

JBJ 28g Nano

k-2 Viper 150w 14k

8-1watt Blue Led-Nite Lites

2-Acella 1000 Powerheads

Hydor Koralia Nano 400

Marineland 150w Heater

Custom Mod. Bio Cube Protein Skimmer

Urbaneks Media Basket

1st- Floss

2nd-Chaeto lit by 20 watt Submersible LED

3rd- Chemi-Pure Elite

Inhabitants:

1 Ocellaris Clown

2 Nassarius Snails

7 Blue Legged Hermits

5 Torch Snails

1 Zebra Snail

I keep Frogspawn x 2 (Green and Purple Tip), Toadstool, Xenia (Pulsing and Silver), GSP, Lavender Mushrooms, Blue Green Mushrooms, Red Mushrooms, Fluorescent Green Palys, Chocolate Palys, Nuclear Green Palys, couple other Palys I forgot names of, Yellow Star Polyp, Yuma Ricordea, Cauliflower Coral, ZOAS: Mean Green, Cotton Candy, Orange People Eaters, Keds Reds, Green Bay Packers, couple of no names.

My Tank was started on Dec. 23rd 2010 and is now 10.5 weeks old!

5503090532_3391e822ce_b.jpg

DSCF1094 by rossruffino, on Flickr

5502496493_ec861c93e6.jpg

DSCF1093 by rossruffino, on Flickr

5502490241_bb4b8e595e.jpg

DSCF1117 by rossruffino, on Flickr

5503080338_9ef1c56bb1.jpg

DSCF1112 by rossruffino, on Flickr

5502500035_c42cbbd8d9.jpg

DSCF1096 by rossruffino, on Flickr

NC 28 owners. How often are you cleaning out your back chambers and how are you doing it. I'm at about 10 months and i've never done it? Was thinking about taking a shop vac to it then using whatever tools I can get to clean some more. Adding a few gallons of new SW to the front of the display to flow back into the chambers and then shopvac it out again. Problem is I got so many Spirorbis in the back chambers I am going to be scaping those things forever.

Are people running vinegar through the rear chamber return lines to clean them out? Also, has anyone ever done something similar with the mini-artica 1/15HP chiller? Have a feelign I should flush that out at the same time.

Gonna make this a saturday project here some time in the future so any advice/tips would be welcome. Thanks

Telekinesis

I'd like to contribute, but I haven't owned mine long enough to require a good cleaning of the back chambers. I believe Urbaneks cleans his pipes and all, so he might have some advice for you if you shoot him a PM.

Alright... I was setting up my new tank and in my excitement about getting things going I made the stupid mistake of not rinsing out my sand before putting it in. So after the usual dust settled I have a layer of silt all over EVERYTHING! It's covering my rock, glass, back wall. EVERYWHERE!!! Any suggestions on the best way to clean this mess up? My initial thought is to turkey baste everything before doing a water change to stir it all up and just slowly removing it with my water changes. OR I was thinking of using my siphon like a vacuum cleaner when I do my water changes. Any other thoughts/suggestions about cleaning up the mess?

I also have found 2 reddish worms with white fuzz/fur on them. I've been doing a lot of research about bristle and fire worms but really just can't determine which they are. I wish I could take a picture but, like I say, my tank is a dusty mess. Any input on how common fire worms are compared to bristle worms? Should I just get them out to be safe?

rdahlke1105

I don't normally rinse my sand. If the dust gets on the rocks I just used a turkey baster to blow it up and let the tanks filtration take care of it. Though I do change the floss frequently (almost daily).

Alright... I was setting up my new tank and in my excitement about getting things going I made the stupid mistake of not rinsing out my sand before putting it in. So after the usual dust settled I have a layer of silt all over EVERYTHING! It's covering my rock, glass, back wall. EVERYWHERE!!! Any suggestions on the best way to clean this mess up? My initial thought is to turkey baste everything before doing a water change to stir it all up and just slowly removing it with my water changes. OR I was thinking of using my siphon like a vacuum cleaner when I do my water changes. Any other thoughts/suggestions about cleaning up the mess?

I also have found 2 reddish worms with white fuzz/fur on them. I've been doing a lot of research about bristle and fire worms but really just can't determine which they are. I wish I could take a picture but, like I say, my tank is a dusty mess. Any input on how common fire worms are compared to bristle worms? Should I just get them out to be safe?

It will take a few days for it the cloudy stuff to go away... i didnt rinse my sand and for the first few days every time i moved my rocks it would cloud back up with a vengeance... after a few days i could move rocks and all and have no issues.. PS I didnt rinse because all the fine partials are full of good stuff and i didn want them to go down the drain...a ton of people end up adding things like Purple up later on because they lost all the good stuff when they rinsed the sand... guess what? Even if you rinsed it it would have gotten cloudy because the aragonite sand dissolves a bit in water. dont worry about the worms... they are most likely bristle... and they are good... let us know if we can help you in any way... now go put some nose prints on that tank =)

It will take a few days for it the cloudy stuff to go away... i didnt rinse my sand and for the first few days every time i moved my rocks it would cloud back up with a vengeance... after a few days i could move rocks and all and have no issues.. PS I didnt rinse because all the fine partials are full of good stuff and i didn want them to go down the drain...a ton of people end up adding things like Purple up later on because they lost all the good stuff when they rinsed the sand... guess what? Even if you rinsed it it would have gotten cloudy because the aragonite sand dissolves a bit in water. dont worry about the worms... they are most likely bristle... and they are good... let us know if we can help you in any way... now go put some nose prints on that tank =)

Thanks!

My Youtube Channel

My JBJ Nano Cube 12 DX

Hardware:

JBJ Nano Cube 12DX

Stock lighting: 2x24 PC 50/50

Upgraded stock pump to Maxi-Jet 900

Upgraded stock duckbill to Hydor-Flo

Added additional powerhead to create more random flow

Chamber 1 - Heater

Chamber 2 - Empty (not really too sure what i should put)

Chamber 3 - Maxi-Jet 900

Fish:

False Perc

Inverts:

Emerald Crab

Cleaner Shrimp

Bunch of nas snails

Bunch of red legged hermits

Mexican Turbo Snail

Corals:

Hammer

Neon Green Nepthea

Green Polyp Toadstool

Gorgonian

Montipora Caps Green and Red

Pulsing Xenias

Variety of zoas

Kenya Tree

Ricordia

GSP

Candy canes

Frogspawn

Shrooms

Palys

My Youtube Channel with monthly updates. Rate, comment, subscribe to track my progress

kidninja Youtube Channel

DSC_1934.jpg

March 2011

P1010196.jpg

Well my tank is no where near the ones on this forum, but I guess you gotta start somewhere.... Last Saturday I picked up a few frags and said I would post them, well here they are....nothing crazy on spent $30 on all of them from a local reefer. I believe I have names correct but please correct me if I am wrong... or just I.D. them for me if ya want.... Thanks in advance

On a different note my tank is coming along well... I can see that my 2 part dosing is working wonders on my 20 lbs of Base rock. It already has a hint of purple coralline on most of the pecies...

Bali Green Slimmer, ORA Green Birdsnest, ORA Tri-Color Valida.... I think those are correct ?

post-64804-1299643151_thumb.jpg

post-64804-1299643184_thumb.jpg

post-64804-1299643260_thumb.jpg

A few more Pics.... both are unknown so anyone's best guess would be a great help... think the one is a

Tri-Color Acro, the other is unknown.... I got all the frags for 30 bucks, figured I would give it a try...

Later

post-64804-1299643953_thumb.jpg

post-64804-1299643981_thumb.jpg

Here is some of my livestock from my NC 28

DSCN1174.jpg

DSCN1189-Copy.jpg

Just a quick question..... How do you embed your photos to your posts so you don't have to attach them... if I attach I only get one 1mg of space....

You have to have a phot sharing account over the Internet. That's why I can't post pix. It costs a lot of money to join.

Okay I think I finally figured it out.... they are not mushrooms like the LFS said.... the guy there is full of SH!T..

and I am a newbei so there ya go.... anyway I think they are MAXI-MINI ANEMONE's

aka.

MINIIATURE CARPET ANEMONE's

Now I can stop with the Shroom question.. I don't know what I was thinking they don't even look like mushrooms.. :huh:

post-64804-1299693722_thumb.jpg

Archived