Pod Your Reef

JBJ Owners Club!

Mini-Dude

Yea that was what i was thinking. I think a yellow clown goby would be good. Would have to make a lid though cause my gf would freak if she saw a fish flopping on the ground.

IME, yellow clown gobies are muchnharder to feed or get eating..mine lived for about 2 or 3 months but my green clown goby I've had for over 14 months now and actively goes after pellets and flakes. They also have the nice red mornings on their face in addition to the nice green body..guy is a trooper- he's ran into my mp10 (was chasing something and ran into it), got sucked up by an aquaclear and lived in the filter (didn't feed him or anything) for 3 weeks, and he lived in a baggie without water for 2 hours and he's survived 2 tank crashes..GCG are so hardy, get one of those guys:)

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman
I like the FTS on the left.

Also can we use en28so's FTS?

Also Barryrey's?

Thanks so much for doing this Grpe! If I knew how I would. But your workl is just awesome.

I would be honored if you guys used my pic for your banner! So many nice tanks in here!

Cool thread. I have a thread about my tank but I'll post the most current FTS of my JBJ 3 gallon picotope in this thread also.

DSCF4218.JPG

DSCF4223.JPG

DSCF4224.JPG

This is such nice tank!

I'm really glad we finally had a surprise burst of pico action cause once I started this I was like yes I get to see the picoz. And then noone posted any.

Here is what I have so far...

If anyone objects to tank being used or if different shots wanted let me know...

Or could put tank owners names on tanks...

Hello all... new here and to salt water. I set my jbj 28 CF two weeks ago as of today... I started out with

10 lb. live Carb. sand 15 lb. Flordia crushed coral, and about 25 lb of base rock, (15 is Marco and 10 is Pukani).

A week later my buddy stopped by a gave me 5 lb. of his live rock and live sand from his established tank, man was that great... my tank barely cycled.. couple days ago I added a few turbos, hand full of hermits and a camelback shrimp... while i was at the lfs i traded up 8 lb dry rock for 4 lb live Fiji.. :D

Gonna do my 1st water change tonight, by the way the MEDIA BASKET BLOWS... tooooo much overflow... tried to shim it doesn't work, broke part of the handle off.... looks like i will building one or buying, dono yet.

Anyway here are few pics... from 2 weeks ago. Will up date once I get a little more life in there..

Does anyone run the JBJ Skimmer I have one but can't seem to get it tuned in.. either overflows with water and bubbles or the bubbles can't make it to the top.. :huh:

Later

post-64804-1298660677_thumb.jpg

post-64804-1298660693_thumb.jpg

post-64804-1298660712_thumb.jpg

post-64804-1298660728_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the club. Tank looks great. Make sure you give enough room to clean the glass, it is a struggle trying to get the rock scape just right in these tanks, seems like we are never satisfied.

I have the media basket from InTanks. You can see from the picture how big of a difference it is compared to the stock one. Read through all the different threads, even with the upgraded basket, you will still find you have to really play with it in order to handle the overflow especially if you end up trying to run both return pumps as the same time. One key is to regularly clean your filter floss. I am now cleaning mine every other day, replacing it weekly when I do the water change.

I am not running a skimmer on mine so I can't help you on that question.

IMG_6677-2.jpg

I think most people have a hard time getting results from the stock skimmer...

I like your landscape though. Should fill in nicely in short order.

IME, yellow clown gobies are muchnharder to feed or get eating..mine lived for about 2 or 3 months but my green clown goby I've had for over 14 months now and actively goes after pellets and flakes. They also have the nice red mornings on their face in addition to the nice green body..guy is a trooper- he's ran into my mp10 (was chasing something and ran into it), got sucked up by an aquaclear and lived in the filter (didn't feed him or anything) for 3 weeks, and he lived in a baggie without water for 2 hours and he's survived 2 tank crashes..GCG are so hardy, get one of those guys:)

Thanks for the advice. I’ll definitely look into a green clown goby.

Have yall seen the new banner? Ins in Grapes sig.

Yo grape how do you inbed a link?

1000th Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also since we have a lot of members in the club we will switch out pics every month so everyone can have a turn

I finally have my tank set up, leak tested and ready to get going. I am going to a coral farmers market tomorrow and I HOPE someone has 20-40 pounds of nice live rock for a decent price. I also bought a used Tunze 9002 w/InTank cup. The skimmer has been modified by removing the magnets and installing a sliding mount. It is a super tight fit and I may need to shave 1/16" from the mount. But still, I don't see how anyone can say that they can open the top of a JBJ 28 without removing the skimmer cup. At the water level I think the skimmer will need to be, I just don't see any way. Maybe it sits higher? May sell the 9002/InTank and get a small HOB. Getting closer... :)

Welcome to the club. Tank looks great. Make sure you give enough room to clean the glass, it is a struggle trying to get the rock scape just right in these tanks, seems like we are never satisfied.

I have the media basket from InTanks. You can see from the picture how big of a difference it is compared to the stock one. Read through all the different threads, even with the upgraded basket, you will still find you have to really play with it in order to handle the overflow especially if you end up trying to run both return pumps as the same time. One key is to regularly clean your filter floss. I am now cleaning mine every other day, replacing it weekly when I do the water change.

I am not running a skimmer on mine so I can't help you on that question.

IMG_6677-2.jpg

Thanks.. yeah I crammed alot of to rock in there.... it's deceiving tho.... I have about 3 inches all the way around. As for the basket I am running both pumps and figured out how to shim the stock one up with some shish-kabob sticks works for now... will see how long it works... later

I am going with the minimal water change/low maintenance route. Will top off as needed but WC's either about 2-3 gallons a week or hopefully maybe 5 gallons once a month. Going for mostly if not all photosynthetic corals and light on the livestock. But things change.... B)

Hello all... new here and to salt water. I set my jbj 28 CF two weeks ago as of today... I started out with

10 lb. live Carb. sand 15 lb. Flordia crushed coral, and about 25 lb of base rock, (15 is Marco and 10 is Pukani).

A week later my buddy stopped by a gave me 5 lb. of his live rock and live sand from his established tank, man was that great... my tank barely cycled.. couple days ago I added a few turbos, hand full of hermits and a camelback shrimp... while i was at the lfs i traded up 8 lb dry rock for 4 lb live Fiji.. :D

Gonna do my 1st water change tonight, by the way the MEDIA BASKET BLOWS... tooooo much overflow... tried to shim it doesn't work, broke part of the handle off.... looks like i will building one or buying, dono yet.

Anyway here are few pics... from 2 weeks ago. Will up date once I get a little more life in there..

Does anyone run the JBJ Skimmer I have one but can't seem to get it tuned in.. either overflows with water and bubbles or the bubbles can't make it to the top.. :huh:

Later

How do you like your Quad so far? This is the tank I plan on getting.

I am going with the minimal water change/low maintenance route. Will top off as needed but WC's either about 2-3 gallons a week or hopefully maybe 5 gallons once a month. Going for mostly if not all photosynthetic corals and light on the livestock. But things change.... B)

Ok if you go light on livestock you dont have to have the skimmer but if you go heavy and do the WC plan that you were planning to you will prob need one.

You right click it then click "copy image location". Then go to your control panel and click "edit my signature" then click this rte-image-button.png and upload it. If you want it to link to this thread you highlight the location of the banner and click this rte-link-button.png.

HTH, MD

Its pretty easy once you know how to do it.

I bought a 28g few months back from a family friend that had been running it with LR and sand for a whole year with literally only a few cerith snails and one hermit crab. The tank was extremely clean and sand was white because he never fed the tank. Well when I moved it to my house I set it all up and everything was fine for the month I had it there. I didnt add anything to the tank and continued to do weekly water changes with LFS water.. Then I moved. The move was the same distance and I followed the same process. Everything was fine. After a week, I added a few zoa frags and then one day I started to see a diatom bloom. No big deal I thought. Added a small aussie acan colony(3 heads). I feed it once a week with tiny chunks of frozen(thawed) uncooked shrimp ( i never rinsed it with FW). So I have a total of 5 corals. I dipped the corals when I received them-1 SPS, 3 zoas, 1 acan. I also got a peppermint shrimp to clean up the aiptasia (which he did a great job of). I fed him the same stuff as the acan every other day. He died one day and I removed his body and wasnt sure what it was from. All the other CUC was fine. I would feel bad if it was from starvation but I figured every other day to feed was fine. Over the past few weeks the "diatom" bloom has turned into an infestation of dinoflagellates, mostly on the LR. The previous owner had Chaeto in the display tank and the dino's are even growing on the chaeto.. Water params seem to be in check..

77-79 degrees

8.2 PH

0 Ammon

0 Nitrite

5 Nitrate

1.023 Grav

I have about 30 pounts of LR

3 maxijett 1200's for flow. 2 in back 1 in display

14k pheonix MH

Been running PhosGuard for last 3 weeks, replacing every week.

Running carbon

Light is set for 10 hours.

Questions..

1. Do you think the shrimp died from starvation or possibly another cause?

2. I want to cure the "cause" of the dinos as opposed to bandaid the problem, so what do you think could be causing it.. I am going to start dosing kalk and having lights out for 24 hours at a time. Will this solve the problem or just bandaid it?

Will try to post pictures when I get home if I can find digital cam.

Thanks in advance.

You right click it then click "copy image location". Then go to your control panel and click "edit my signature" then click this rte-image-button.png and upload it. If you want it to link to this thread you highlight the location of the banner and click this rte-link-button.png.

HTH, MD

Its pretty easy once you know how to do it.

Cool, thanks. It was pretty easy.

How do you like your Quad so far? This is the tank I plan on getting.

Ok if you go light on livestock you dont have to have the skimmer but if you go heavy and do the WC plan that you were planning to you will prob need one.

So far so good, this is all new to me so taking everything slowly, do a bit of "light reading" to say the least. My only complaint would be the media baskey the stock one overflows about 30% of the water.... although I just shimmed it up about a 1/4 inch, seems to be working 100% a day, no overflow.. :D

On another note, does anyone run the JBJ stock nano skimmer..... can't seem to tune mine in. Don't plan on using it for awhile anyway b/c there is very little bio load in the tank... SLOWLY but SURELY, with a little

"light reading" I should be there in a few months...lol.

Can't seem to figure out how to link the signiture...gonna try again...hopefully it works this time... Later

Hey, I am new to the JBJ world. I just got a NC12. I consider myself a newbie to the hobby. I will post some pics once I get the system up and running. Any tips or advice gladly accepted. Thanks

Archived