inTank Media Baskets

JBJ Owners Club!

Mini-Dude

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok well I am going to order the stock one too then............

Its cheap enough anyways.

My tank should arrive Friday so I will be providing a build thread as the adventure unfolds.....

I have a nc24 with a Hamilton 150w halide pendant over it and I don't know what to do for my aqua c remora skimmer. The thing microbubles my tank out man. I'm so tired of it. Anyone know how to cut down the mice bubbles?

• 1 month later...

I currently have a 24g nano cube and have been thinking about upgrading to a 28g... As ridiculous as it sounds I'd like to know if that 4 gallons makes a difference... Has anyone had both? What do you like about the 28g and do you think it is worth the change... I probably would stick with the basic pc lighting until these LEDs come down a bit in price. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• 5 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone is running the Intermediate LED nano cube? I'm going to be replacing my 24g aquapod and am trying to decide between the 105w PC and the Intermediate LED (the pro is out of my budget)... I'd love the LED so that I don't have to replace those bulbs every 6 months but wasn't sure if it offered enough light? I just keep softies, few LPS. My Aquapod is 64w pc.

Thanks for any input, hope to join you all here soon!

• 3 weeks later...
the inTank basket is deep enought so that you don't have that problem. I believe it's 4"x2.5"

What are you guys doing for mechnical filtration? I've upgraded one pump to a mj1200 (with a chiller at ground level, so with add-on, its less that OEM pump flow), and I've changed my other side sump to a maxi-jet (mini-util 606) at about 110 gph. I've changed to the intank basket, but no matter what I do, the system just flops water into the mediabasket and then utilizes the "over flow path to the left and the right" and just flows out of the basket into chambers l/r (skimmer and heater chambers), Im sure some flow is going through the basket, but it really looks like a chamber full of water just sitting there.

I started with the 6oz chemi-elite, cheato in 2nd chamber, and blue/white pads from intank, The intank design is supposed to fix the flow issue, but they suggest you hang a bag of chemipure from the 2nd chamber divider and let it float in chamber 3, not a really good job of "forcing" water through it, more like danging in it and water soaks into it/out of it. Im about ready to pull all the media baskets out and just toss cheato in there, at least as a macro algae fudge it might be able to actually do something? Which brings us back to the mechanical filtration issue, what are all of you guys using? Anyone thought of using a eheim canister filter or something like that to pull mechanical waste out? I wish I knew someone else in San Diego with a jbj pro 28g cause my flow is so jacked up, I'd love to see it where it works, is it because the system expects some interruption from something in skimmer chamber and I dont have it, I do have a ta heater in the heater chamber, but just curious. At first I thought it must be too much flow (but was reminded that the original wave maker had a L/R sump pump both on at same time setting (oem=260 per side, assumption = 620 GPH was designed into setup), I have even turned off the 100gph side and I still get the nasty media basket flow disruption?

Looking forward to hearing what you might have done, cause its a mess if you ask me, what good is a media basket that cant have a layer of carbon, a layer of whatever I want, and some mechanical filtration?

Thanks

For that "forcing" of water, I would recommend the surface skimmer add on for the nanocube. It really helps out in terms of forcing the water. Maybe that would solve your issue.

• 2 weeks later...

buddy....GOt a question for you...I have the surface skimmer add on for my 12g JBJ DX that I just set up..but when I hang it in front of the stock intake, it wants to "float" updwards...how do you keep yours down?

Also, I am new to this forum..but not reefkeeping..I had a 90gallon reef for years, then got out of the hobby for a while, and am now setting up the JBJ 12 in my office. Photos to come soon!!

What are you guys doing for mechnical filtration? I've upgraded one pump to a mj1200 (with a chiller at ground level, so with add-on, its less that OEM pump flow), and I've changed my other side sump to a maxi-jet (mini-util 606) at about 110 gph. I've changed to the intank basket, but no matter what I do, the system just flops water into the mediabasket and then utilizes the "over flow path to the left and the right" and just flows out of the basket into chambers l/r (skimmer and heater chambers), Im sure some flow is going through the basket, but it really looks like a chamber full of water just sitting there.

I started with the 6oz chemi-elite, cheato in 2nd chamber, and blue/white pads from intank, The intank design is supposed to fix the flow issue, but they suggest you hang a bag of chemipure from the 2nd chamber divider and let it float in chamber 3, not a really good job of "forcing" water through it, more like danging in it and water soaks into it/out of it. Im about ready to pull all the media baskets out and just toss cheato in there, at least as a macro algae fudge it might be able to actually do something? Which brings us back to the mechanical filtration issue, what are all of you guys using? Anyone thought of using a eheim canister filter or something like that to pull mechanical waste out? I wish I knew someone else in San Diego with a jbj pro 28g cause my flow is so jacked up, I'd love to see it where it works, is it because the system expects some interruption from something in skimmer chamber and I dont have it, I do have a ta heater in the heater chamber, but just curious. At first I thought it must be too much flow (but was reminded that the original wave maker had a L/R sump pump both on at same time setting (oem=260 per side, assumption = 620 GPH was designed into setup), I have even turned off the 100gph side and I still get the nasty media basket flow disruption?

Looking forward to hearing what you might have done, cause its a mess if you ask me, what good is a media basket that cant have a layer of carbon, a layer of whatever I want, and some mechanical filtration?

Thanks

hello there... what's it's worth I have a jbj28 cf 105w nano, been set up

for a year now. there is alot of talk about flow for these set ups, here's

mine.... mine has a stock set up, no wave maker running and an extra 260

korilla powerhead (lower right corner run all the time, attached to the glass

pointed perpendicular "right to left".) standard airstone jbj nano Skimmer

as for the FLOW ISSUES & media basket overflow..... mine is totally stock

except for one simple fix..... top basket jbj sponge shimmed up with filer

floss blanket cut to a width a little longer than the basket under sponge.

When you put it under the sponge make sure the floss is arched upward

to shim UP the sponge..... hence raising the sponge enough to stop SOME

over the over flow.... allowing the basket to work correctly with ZERO OVER-RUN.

The second level of the basket "middle" put API Phosgaurd package. in there..

Third level "bottom" with 10 oz. chem pure or 11.6 chem pure elite....

Run all pumps on full throttle including 260 gph powerhead..... adjust your

flow by by lifting your jbj sponge "top level in basket " up..... works perfectly...

by the way I just changed my 105w cf light a year to date from sellup..

No problems what so ever.. use bionic solution I & II to keep your calcium@ 450-500

My Stock:

green slimer SPS...nuclear blue LPS...Duncan whisker 10 heads(bought w/2) 8m ago...

Acan coral...frog spawn...hammer...torch coral...ricorda mushys...red & green mushys...

pulsating Xenia... 6 different Zoa colonies... acropora SPS... ORA Tri-color SPS...

Green BTA.... Rose BTA.... 2 nas snails... 2 zebra Turbo snails "awesome workers"@nite...

handfull of crabs... porcelain crab...

Green war painted gobie... six line wrasse... purple stripe dotty back...

blue/yellow tail damsel... and last a mated pair of black clowns...

15 lb fine live sand... 10 lb Florida crushed coral... 15 lb pukani rock "now live"...

15 lb MARCO rock "now its live" and best rock for coralline growth...

I think that's it....

IMG_20110215_231119.jpg

100_0841-1.jpg

flame angle died ich ??? replaced with 6 line wrasse... and sold yellow figi coral.

hope this helps

LATER...

post-64804-1329022523_thumb.jpg

Here's the start of my JBJ 12gal Nano setup....first couple photos. I have more photos I"ll upload tomorrow. Just got it setup, substrate in, and saltwater added. Liverock is tomorrow.

heres the one where I just added sand and water

post-72309-1329102917_thumb.jpg

post-72309-1329103081_thumb.jpg

Cycling 12g NC DX ...

Any tips on heat reduction that do not involve going topless (myself or tank) or extensive DIY work?

Do you have the stock lighting, or an upgrade setup? I have the same tank as yours, with an upgraded hood that has 72 watts of PC lighting and my temp never flucuates off of 80F with or without the lights on.

Dan

Do you have the stock lighting, or an upgrade setup? I have the same tank as yours, with an upgraded hood that has 72 watts of PC lighting and my temp never flucuates off of 80F with or without the lights on.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Completely stock PC lighting. I have a thread opened here listing temp fluctuations for the past few days.

Hello fellow JBJ reefers!

I am new to this hobby but already have purchased a 2nd tank!

But as for now, I have a 12 DX up and running about 2 weeks! It is through its first cycle as all levels have returned to normal! I upgraded the pump, as the old one was a piece of you know what! It did nothing but make noise, loud loud noise. So I bought a Maxi-Jet 900 and that thing runs so quiet, its amazing! I started out with 12.5 pounds live sand and about 12-15 pounds live rock. Took a while to get the rock situated correctly. I also added a 3 LED strip of TruLumen LED moonlights. Man it makes a big difference.

Here are some pics!

IMG_1403.jpg

That was right after I added water.

This one is about 6 days in during my algae bloom! So I added some CUC.

IMG_1422.jpg

After 10 days levels dropped and I added some frags and a fish.

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1458-1.jpg

Stocking list:

1 Damsel named Zebra

3 Sandsifting Snails

3 Margarita Snails

5 Tiny Reef Hermit Crabs

1 Feather Duster (hitch hiker)

Coral:

Candy Cane Coral

Neon Green Hammer

Green Star Polyps

Red Mushroom

and a couple ones I don't know!

My second tank is in the garage. Found it used for $150. Its a 28g Nanocube HQI. The Metal Halide lamp is coming out, I ordered a LED DIY kit from AquaStyles! That is going to be my project tank.

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

Hi Dan,

Completely stock PC lighting. I have a thread opened here listing temp fluctuations for the past few days.

I noticed when I first started my 12 gallon that my temps would do that too. But turning the heater dan a couple degrees seems to work best for me. I hope you get it working!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there. I have a JBJ NC 12DX qhich I just started ab. 7weeks ago. I have updates and pics on my thread linked in my signature. :)

IMAG0933_zps310d0101.jpg

I have the Intermediate LED 28 gal. and I love it!! The light is perfect for all corals (I have zoanthids, acans, a mini scolymia and a regular Aussie scolymia, a big Aussie gold torch, a hammer, montiporas, chalices, 2 flowerpots, cyphastrea, and duncans. Everything is growing wonderfully and no I don't have a protein skimmer, I do a 4 gallon WC a week and feed sparingly. I love this tank.

Edit: I also have Purigen and phosguard in the back along with sponges and filter floss I just stuff back there.

8yckee.jpg

buddythelion
I have the Intermediate LED 28 gal. and I love it!! The light is perfect for all corals (I have zoanthids, acans, a mini scolymia and a regular Aussie scolymia, a big Aussie gold torch, a hammer, montiporas, chalices, 2 flowerpots, cyphastrea, and duncans. Everything is growing wonderfully and no I don't have a protein skimmer, I do a 4 gallon WC a week and feed sparingly. I love this tank.

Edit: I also have Purigen and phosguard in the back along with sponges and filter floss I just stuff back there.

8yckee.jpg

Very nice taste in corals, the tank looks like it's thriving!

After a recent relocation and a couple of tank crashes that costed me about $1200-1500 in corals. I started a JBJ 28G to house my remaining corals. This is a recent shot.

20121003_150818.jpg

20121004_103203.jpg

CameraZOOM-20121004183028769.jpg

CameraZOOM-20121004182939663.jpg

CameraZOOM-20121004182900358.jpg

CameraZOOM-20121004182848884.jpg

Archived