Top Shelf Aquatics

Weetie's 4 Gallons of Simplicity

Weetabix7

Very very nice .... thanks for passing on the links on my thread

Thanks!

Out of all the tanks I've done, I think I enjoyed this one the most.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo..... yeah, I kinda revived this tank. :)

It's pretty simple right now: tank, PC perch light, no heater or refugium, Tunze mini pump, 2.5 lbs or so of very nice LR, 4 blue-leg hermits, 5 or so small Stomatella snails, small scrap of unmounted GSP, and 1 Orange Yuma.

Don't have any fancy plans yet, still figuring out what I wanna do. I have some ideas and am expecting some nice Macro clippings in the next few days, but I mostly just wanna have a healthy, stable little Reef.

I would like to use Fiji Mud again in some way, and would also like to have a 2 part Pico w/a Display Refugium and a Coral Reef Display. Wanna do it on a Pico scale though and want it side by side. Like I said, working on it.

Mebbe sometime over the next week I'll get my act together enough to start another tank thread, but for right now I'm concentrating on making a nice Halloween for my kids.

Sooo..... yeah, I kinda revived this tank. :)

It's pretty simple right now: tank, PC perch light, no heater or refugium, Tunze mini pump, 2.5 lbs or so of very nice LR, 4 blue-leg hermits, 5 or so small Stomatella snails, small scrap of unmounted GSP, and 1 Orange Yuma.

Don't have any fancy plans yet, still figuring out what I wanna do. I have some ideas and am expecting some nice Macro clippings in the next few days, but I mostly just wanna have a healthy, stable little Reef.

I would like to use Fiji Mud again in some way, and would also like to have a 2 part Pico w/a Display Refugium and a Coral Reef Display. Wanna do it on a Pico scale though and want it side by side. Like I said, working on it.

Mebbe sometime over the next week I'll get my act together enough to start another tank thread, but for right now I'm concentrating on making a nice Halloween for my kids.

I am sure you'll keep us posted and good luck with however you set it up !

Woohoo :happydance: So glad you're back!! This is going to be great no matter what direction and route you take. Now we just need to get C est Ma back ;)

-Adam

Edited by divecj5

Thanks!

Getting C est Ma back would be nothing short of miraculous.

I thought of her the other day as I was considering trying to find a magnifying glass to take tank pics with.

There are some cool tiny details in this tank already & I'd love to be able to get them on film. I'm having a hard time doing that w/my current Panasonic Lumix, and I can't my old Canon P&S that I used to be able to get better pics with.

Thanks!

Getting C est Ma back would be nothing short of miraculous.

I thought of her the other day as I was considering trying to find a magnifying glass to take tank pics with.

There are some cool tiny details in this tank already & I'd love to be able to get them on film. I'm having a hard time doing that w/my current Panasonic Lumix, and I can't my old Canon P&S that I used to be able to get better pics with.

Staples ... maybe :-)

Thanks gena!

I've considered getting a Fluval Spec 2g Pico which is the same height as this cube, 10", but I don't if that will happen. It's all still very much a work in progress.

I got a hold of my old camera and will try to get a couple of decent pics up over the next day or 2.

Current FTS as of 11/1/12

IMG_0589.jpg

This tank has now been up for 4 weeks & I believe it is cycled. Yeah, yeah, I was a little sneaky. More pics later.

cool little tank. what are ya going to stock it with? Ill follow your build as Im slowly building a pico too.

cant decided tank size tho haha. Are you adding more rock?

Beautiful rock are you adding more? I like it how it is.

Thanks!

I do want to add more, maybe one more piece. This is the first time I have bought LR at an LFS in absolutely ages, I usually get it online from somewhere like Premium Aquatics. I typically find that unless you live in S. Fl or SoCal, the LR you have available at a store is pretty devoid of life and crazy expensive. I feel very, very lucky to have found this rock for 6.99/lb at a relatively new LFS. I paid 6.99/lb for it and I have been amazed at the life that has been popping out of it.

Check out the great coralline coverage:

IMG_0582.jpg

For anyone in the E. TN area, be sure to check out Aquatic Marine on Clinton Hwy. I honestly think this is the best LFS I've ever been in for Reef Livestock, and I say that having lived in several different states, including Hollywood, FL.

They get in coral frags that I have previously only had access to online or at Frag Swaps, and they also get in really cool fish like Sea Goblins and Anglers/Frogfish.

Current FTS as of 11/1/12

IMG_0589.jpg

This tank has now been up for 4 weeks & I believe it is cycled. Yeah, yeah, I was a little sneaky. More pics later.

Nice rock! At first glance it looked like there wasn't even any water in there, lol.

cool little tank. what are ya going to stock it with? Ill follow your build as Im slowly building a pico too.

cant decided tank size tho haha. Are you adding more rock?

Stocking plans are still a little up in the air, I'm kinda figuring it out as I go along.

I am expecting a nice variety of Macro clippings in from keydiver next week, and I'm keeping an eye out for frags that I like at my LFS when I go there once a week. I may stop by there today, I haven't decided yet.

I had 2 anemone shrimp in this tank before and loved them, so I'd kinda like to do that again. They're perfect for Picos-- tiny, beautiful, and active.

I am also considering a Green Banded Goby. I've always wanted one & they're the perfect size for a Pico. We'll see.

Check out the 4 little polyps that popped up out of my LR after I'd had it in the tank for a couple of weeks:

IMG_0562.jpg

They're not brightly colored, but hey, I didn't pay for them & I think they're a pretty cool hitchhiker.

If you look in the middle of this pic, you will see one of my favorite hitchhikers, a tiny little orange Sea Squirt. I use it as a barometer for tank conditions, since it seems to be the most sensitive thing in the tank to any kind of negative water conditions.

IMG_0596.jpg

It's kinda hard to get a pic of it since it's so tiny, but it looks cool in real life.

I have dubbed it Squishy.

My current WC regimen has been 1/2 gallon once a week, and I keep another 1/2g on hand if Squishy starts to look unhappy.

Here's another cool rock pic, of a great circular platform shaped rock.

IMG_0579.jpg

I wanna do something kinda cool & different with the rockscape, but haven't settled on what yet. I have some acrylic rods that I could use if drilled the rocks w/a masonry bit, but I don't know if the rocks are too small for that to be practical.

Can you find the Stomatella Snail in this pic?

IMG_0585.jpg

I love Stomatellas. When I was at my LFS last week, I noticed that they had some Stomatellas crawling on the front glass of one of their aquariums. I asked if they'd sell me some and they said I could have them for free if I wanted to pull them out myself. I :wub: my LFS!!! I got 4 baby Stomatellas and 1 med sized one. I may see if I can get more when I go back.

Love all of the goodies that are already popping up on your rock. Like you said, nothing beats getting your hands on some primo LR locally.

I love me some Stomatellas!!! I can see his little buggy eyes from here :)

Stocking plans are still a little up in the air, I'm kinda figuring it out as I go along.

I am expecting a nice variety of Macro clippings in from keydiver next week, and I'm keeping an eye out for frags that I like at my LFS when I go there once a week. I may stop by there today, I haven't decided yet.

I had 2 anemone shrimp in this tank before and loved them, so I'd kinda like to do that again. They're perfect for Picos-- tiny, beautiful, and active.

I am also considering a Green Banded Goby. I've always wanted one & they're the perfect size for a Pico. We'll see.

Check out the 4 little polyps that popped up out of my LR after I'd had it in the tank for a couple of weeks:

They're not brightly colored, but hey, I didn't pay for them & I think they're a pretty cool hitchhiker.

Looking good .... following ...

My LFS didn't even know what stomatellas were and they have about 1/2dozen big ones in their counter top tank. Looking forward to see this tank progress.