Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Weetie's 4 Gallons of Simplicity

Weetabix7

wow weets, that looks horrible! my pinky looked kind of like that this summer because i popped the main blood vessel. can you move your fingers at all? get better!

Ouch...from the looks of that it looks like you took quite the spill. Although I'm sure your far from thanking your lucky stars at this point, at least it was "only" your wrist and not something more than that.

Echoing what others have said....sending positive healing thoughts up your way. Hope the recovery goes quick and smooth!!

-Adam

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. :flower:

I'm feeling like a human being today for the 1st time since the surgery, which is nice. I have a follow-up visit scheduled w/the surgeon tomorrow morning.

The tank has been coasting along & seems to be doing ok. I mixed up enough water for an extra WC the day before the fall, so I will hopefully be doing that soon.

Glad you're feeling better!

What? You don't have a boy toy to do your water changes???

I'm a very old man so I guess I'm gonna be looking for a fish room girl soon. :)

sorry to hear about your wrist Weetie. Hope the swelling begins to go down. The tank is looking great though, I love the Yuma especially. Still love the rock you put in this tank. The one regret I have about going with dry rock is the lack of coralline growth in my tank. Yours has taken off running!

MeanGreenEyes
Glad you're feeling better!

What? You don't have a boy toy to do your water changes???

I'm a very old man so I guess I'm gonna be looking for a fish room girl soon. :)

Omg...Spiro...only you! Lol

Weets...let us know how your appt. goes. :)

:o

Hmm. If you stick them in a pile of mashed potatoes you'd have bangers and mash. :P

Sending good vibes your way.

I rly got a good laugh out of this, btw.

Hand update: had appt yesterday, got it unwrapped & had stitches taken out, have a removable splint now & am encouraged to exercise fingers & hand to regain strength. When it was first unwrapped, it made me a little queasy to see it; it looked like some puny, alien thing that had somehow mistakenly gotten attached to my right arm. I can already move the fingers much better tho, which is encouraging.

Tank update: seems to be moving along well. Coralline continues to expand, Macros look good, have a few tiny baby snails that popped up. They bear no resemblance to any adult snails I have, so I don't know where they came from. The 4 tiny Zoa polyps I have that hitchiked on my LR are coloring up from a dull taupe to a pretty minty color. My Daisy Polyps have either melted away or are on a long-term retreat. I fear my bristleworms got to them before I was able to take action.

I have the bad kind of flatworms in here (the brown ones) and am considering purchasing a six-line wrasse, keeping it for a week to eat them all up, then returning it to the store. At the moment I can't even drive to the store, so I have a little while to consider other solutions. Don't wanna use Flatworm Exit in a tank this size, it might too easily destabilize it.

Will be doing a WC here shortly.

I rly got a good laugh out of this, btw.

Hand update: had appt yesterday, got it unwrapped & had stitches taken out, have a removable splint now & am encouraged to exercise fingers & hand to regain strength. When it was first unwrapped, it made me a little queasy to see it; it looked like some puny, alien thing that had somehow mistakenly gotten attached to my right arm. I can already move the fingers much better tho, which is encouraging.

Tank update: seems to be moving along well. Coralline continues to expand, Macros look good, have a few tiny baby snails that popped up. They bear no resemblance to any adult snails I have, so I don't know where they came from. The 4 tiny Zoa polyps I have that hitchiked on my LR are coloring up from a dull taupe to a pretty minty color. My Daisy Polyps have either melted away or are on a long-term retreat. I fear my bristleworms got to them before I was able to take action.

I have the bad kind of flatworms in here (the brown ones) and am considering purchasing a six-line wrasse, keeping it for a week to eat them all up, then returning it to the store. At the moment I can't even drive to the store, so I have a little while to consider other solutions. Don't wanna use Flatworm Exit in a tank this size, it might too easily destabilize it.

Will be doing a WC here shortly.

Haha good! :)

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. Can you believe I've never broken anything? But I've seen atrophy like you describe and it's not pretty...

Regarding flatworms, nothing beats a little elbow grease and the right tool for the job: http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html

I've used a version of this that spits them into a milk or orange juice jug, and I used it to do water changes and remove flatworms at the same time. You can get them to near zero this way, then just make sucking out any stragglers part of your water change routine.

Drill/poke two holes in the cap of the jug, one for the inbound from the tank (the other end of the tube attached to some rigid airline for sucking them out - like melev's example). Use the other hole as a siphon starter - the tube should be inserted about an inch into the jug and extend 3-4 inches out of the top. Its purpose is for you to suck and create a vacuum, activating the siphon on the other tube. Obviously you need to make everything fit tightly... Then suck away until it's full, dump the old water and worms, and add freshly mixed. Easy peasy, and kind of satisfying IMO. :)

Good luck!

capitolcityreefer

Just read over this whole thread, love the idea of a simple tank with minimal equipment and maintenance, and such interesting lifeforms! Quick stupid question: I've recently set up a 5 gallon hex and would love to put some macros in the back to sort of hide my equipment... but how exactly do you attach macros to rock (or sand)? Do you just let them float and settle as they may?

Edited by capitolcityreefer
I'm typing with my right hand right now!!!!!!!!!!!! omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg

:happydance:

I've never broken anything before either (knocks on wood).

What do the snails look like? Are they teeny tiny? I suppose all baby snails are teeny tiny :lol: My nerites seem to always be "getting busy". Could be from my tank. Could also be stomatellas. Love those guys!!!!!

Just read over this whole thread, love the idea of a simple tank with minimal equipment and maintenance, and such interesting lifeforms! Quick stupid question: I've recently set up a 5 gallon hex and would love to put some macros in the back to sort of hide my equipment... but how exactly do you attach macros to rock (or sand)? Do you just let them float and settle as they may?

I usually start out by trying to wedge them into a rock niche or crevice. If I like them there and they do well, I leave them and see if they will form a holdfast and attach to the rock on their own. If they don't, I use fishing line to try to unobtrusively attach them. I know that ppl have also used superglue to attach them, just as you would with coral.

:happydance:

I've never broken anything before either (knocks on wood).

What do the snails look like? Are they teeny tiny? I suppose all baby snails are teeny tiny :lol: My nerites seem to always be "getting busy". Could be from my tank. Could also be stomatellas. Love those guys!!!!!

They're teeny tiny w/a Turbo Snail shaped shell. Most of them are white and very, very little, though I have one that's a teensy bit larger w/coralline on it's shell. They're not baby Stomas, though I'd be thrilled if they were.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
SeahawkReefer

Hey! I love all the macros, im doing a 10gal macro/softie/invert tank right now and the past 15 pages have been great inspiration... get well soon!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey peeps!

Sorry for disappearing.

I had the same problems crop up w/this little tank and it bit the dust as well, which is why I haven't been around. For those who lost track, I'm pretty sure the problem is environmental (in my house) and I'm also pretty sure it's from some kind of weird plumbing problem, but I just honestly don't have the money to do anything about it. I'm working on income generating ideas, but it likely will be more of a long-term thing rather than immediate, so I've resigned myself to not having any aquariums in the near future.

Gena, I'm very sorry for killing your beautiful donations. :( Believe me, I didn't want to. I'll try again someday.

Anyway, I can't have a tank, but anyone who stops by should feel free to update on your aquatic adventures, if you like. :)

Hey, I'm in Farragut. Hope your hand is better and cool tank. You know anywhere to buy those stometella snails? Cyaaaa around

Hullo Neighbor!

Hand is doing much better, thanks. I have some stiffness but have regained as much function as I will be able to.

I got the Stomatellas from a tank at Aquatic Marine in Powell. They were in the tank close to where you walk in that they sell sponges and macroalgaes out of. HTH.

Awww, sorry to hear that, Lisa. :(:flower:

Meh, it's life, stuff happens. I've got too much going on in life to sit around crying over it. I'm spending my time and energy on the really vital stuff and just trying to come up w/ideas to make positive long-term changes that will allow me to do aquariums again at some point in the future.

Thanks tho!

• Like 3