inTank Media Baskets

Weetie's 4 Gallons of Simplicity

Weetabix7

Hi everybody!! Guess what!! This tank is gonna be published in a book by Alf Nilsen, hopefully before Christmas this year!!! I believe he said the book will only be published in Europe and will be written in German, but still, I'm pretty excited!!

Also, I no longer work as a Phlebotomist at a hospital. Instead, I now have my own Arbonne business, which is lots more fun!!

And I moved to Greenville, SC. Anybody here from Greenville?

Life is exciting, wheeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats weets glad your back :)

Your welcome :D im always happy to see an OG reefer active again.

It's been nice coming in here and seeing some of my old friends still active, as well.

• Like 2

Welcome back, and I'm looking forward to hearing how the book turned out!

Thanks! If I don't get a copy of the book soon, I may just break down & email Alf Nilsen.

In my spare time, that is. :P

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

Hey Weets. I've been poking around NR again lately and figured I'd swing by your thread. Hope all is well with you in the Upstate (didn't realize you were in SC now).

-Adam

• Like 1

Hey Weets. I've been poking around NR again lately and figured I'd swing by your thread. Hope all is well with you in the Upstate (didn't realize you were in SC now).

-Adam

Hi!!!! I can't remember where you're at, are you semi-close to Greenville?

I've only been here a little over a year, since October 2015.

2016 has been an intense and full year for me, but a good year.

Hope things are well with you and your family!!

• 1 month later...

The book is out, I got my copy this week!!!

The last 1/4 of the book is about Algae, including Macroalgae, which is why this little tank is in it. This little Pico Macroalgae tank is one of only 5 tanks featured in the book!! The pic on the far right of my sig is one of the pics in there.

I'll see if I can post some pics later.

It's been FOREVER since I've used photobucket, gotta remember how, lol.

• Like 1

The book is out, I got my copy this week!!!

The last 1/4 of the book is about Algae, including Macroalgae, which is why this little tank is in it. This little Pico Macroalgae tank is one of only 5 tanks featured in the book!! The pic on the far right of my sig is one of the pics in there.

I'll see if I can post some pics later.

It's been FOREVER since I've used photobucket, gotta remember how, lol.

Congrats!!! What's the name of the book?

Congrats!!! What's the name of the book?

Lol, well, it's in German so the title is Das Korallinriff-Aquarium.

It's written by Alf Jacob Nilsen and Sven Fossa who have been publishing books on this topic (in English!) since 1988.

Here's a link to other books by them: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Coral+Reef+Aquarium+Nilsen+Fossa&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ACoral+Reef+Aquarium+Nilsen+Fossa

Several of those books are ones I devoured when I was first trying to learn all about this amazing new world of Saltwater Aquarium keeping that I stumbled into back in the early '90's.

This book is actually volume 2, the first volume was published in 2010.

Here's a link to the book itself: https://www.ms-verlag.de/buecher/meerwasseraquaristik/gesamtprogramm/product/773-korallenriff-aquarium-band-2

• Like 1

Lol, well, it's in German so the title is Das Korallinriff-Aquarium.

It's written by Alf Jacob Nilsen and Sven Fossa who have been publishing books on this topic (in English!) since 1988.

Here's a link to other books by them: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Coral+Reef+Aquarium+Nilsen+Fossa&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ACoral+Reef+Aquarium+Nilsen+Fossa

Several of those books are ones I devoured when I was first trying to learn all about this amazing new world of Saltwater Aquarium keeping that I stumbled into back in the early '90's.

This book is actually volume 2, the first volume was published in 2010.

Here's a link to the book itself: https://www.ms-verlag.de/buecher/meerwasseraquaristik/gesamtprogramm/product/773-korallenriff-aquarium-band-2

I don't know any German LOL. Oh well. The pictures are the important thing, in this instance ;). Can't wait to see some photos!
  • 1 month later...
StinkyBunny

I have the complete The Modern Reef Aquarium set, 1-4. If you're looking for the definitive reef aquarium guide, those 4 books are it. I collect books, I have close to 300 in my library. See, back in the days before the internet, that's how you got info and you talked to people on the phone or, gasp, in person.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I have the complete The Modern Reef Aquarium set, 1-4. If you're looking for the definitive reef aquarium guide, those 4 books are it. I collect books, I have close to 300 in my library. See, back in the days before the internet, that's how you got info and you talked to people on the phone or, gasp, in person.

Yes, that's exactly what I did!!!

When I was first learning all about aquariums back in the early '90's, I had a couple of really good aquarium stores I'd go to and just ask the knowledgeable staff a bazillion questions. 

I probably drove them nuts, but by golly I learned. 

I still remember this one guy named Cody who had these AMAZING full color Reef Tattoos on his arms, that poor guy probably felt like running when he saw me coming. 

I was actually doing Nano Tanks back then, back when everyone said it couldn't be done and that wasn't what you should do. 

I learned a lot and had fun proving them wrong. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

My first nano was a 10g back in 1989 or there abouts. It housed a tiny bubble coral, some mushrooms and gobies.

Love it. 

You beat me by a few years on that. 

I think I started in 1993 or so with a used 29g setup from the Classified Ads. Came with a sump, bioballs, old school compact fluorescent lighting. I lived in an apt. and had no clue what I was doing with the overflow and sump, overflowed it into the apt below trying to set it up. 

I moved that thing, live rock and all in the back of a moving truck, from Denver to South Florida. 

I believe I did a 10g around 1995 or so with compact fluorescents again, had Softies and an anemone. 

Also did a 1g Pico with a tiny baby Octopus that I fed blueleg hermits to. 

And a 10g hex tank with a GORGEOUS baby Frogfish. 

Good times. 

The tank that is in the beginning of this thread, the one that is in the recent book by Alf Nilssen, is the same tank that I currently have set up in my Zen thread, it just has different livestock. 

fishfreak0114

Wow what an incredible tank! I only had time to skim at the moment, I'll have to do a more thorough read later :)  It makes me want another but full of macro!  What kind of maintenance do you do?  And congrats on being featured in the book!

Dangit, I have GOT to post the pics of that book this tank is in, I'm so bad about that sometimes!!! :blush:

It's partly cause my teenage son keeps stealing my camera card, lol. 

It really just looks like a Reef Book by Alf Nilsen and Sven Fossa, in German, with pics of this tank (from this thread) in it. 

1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Wow what an incredible tank! I only had time to skim at the moment, I'll have to do a more thorough read later :)  It makes me want another but full of macro!  What kind of maintenance do you do?  And congrats on being featured in the book!

Aw, thanks!!

This tank is no longer up with the livestock listed here, it was taken down, then set up again about a year ago (slightly more), but it doesn't have Macro in it now. 

I'm working on getting back into Macroalgae again, I do really love that. 

It currently has a Maxi Mini Nem, an RFA, and frags of Frogspawn, Orange Yuma, Maze Brain, and Favia, as well as a tiny but personable Yellow & Black Damsel. 

It's my Zen Aquarium Experiment thread. :happy:

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

I had an old Metaframe stainless steel framed 10 gallon with a mated pair of bumblebee gobies in it, had those little guys for 5 years. I was devastated when they died. I had clay dirt under the gravel, something we're blessed with here in Harford county and grew Italian val and Corkscrew val in there with them. I've always had a soft spot for little tanks. Of course I also have a thing for ridiculously large tanks too.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I love it! 

Been looking through your profile since you've given me wonderful help!

Inspiring set up for my next tank down the road, a pico!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, bofo said:

I love it! 

Been looking through your profile since you've given me wonderful help!

Inspiring set up for my next tank down the road, a pico!

Aww, thanks!!

This little tanks was in so many ways the start of something wonderful for me. 

During the years I took a break from Reefing, if you asked me what my favorite Reef Tank was that I had done, this little Pico was always the first one I thought of. 

It was the one I enjoyed the most and the one that I was most creative with in setting up. 

It's also the one that brought me back into Reefing. 

When I received a copy in the mail of the book this was published in, I started thinking, "Maybe it's time to jump back in.....", and when I followed through on that, this little 4g cube is the tank I started with. 

I now have a vision in my head of a larger Macroalgae setup that I want to do all kinds of experimental stuff in, and just really dive into it. 

Today is the last day of the BulkReefSupply Group Buy, and I currently have a cart full of what I would need to get it going. 

As of this moment I don't have the money needed to get what is in the cart, but I was thinking in my head of creative ways to come up with the funds before the day is out. 

Then I got on here and saw this post, which was cool!!

Who knows what will happen before the day is out!!! :happydance:

• Like 1