Cultivated Reef

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

DSC02767.jpg

Not sure on species. Looks a little rough after the dip but polyps are out should be ok.

Looks like A.gomezi

Heres mine

14528127926_5a736fefd5_c.jpg

• Like 5

Looks like A.gomezi

Heres mine.

I think you are right.

It also looks a lot like a Tyree Ultimate Blue Stag. Can't be traced back to that I don't think though.

• Like 1

Clean

That's a beautiful FTS!! omgomgomg

Awesome! I really like the multi bommie look. Combined with all that bad ass coral, it's truly amazing.

Thanks guys!

Glad to hear it. I am defiantly liking how this is shaping up.

En Route to Cottage for a few days. Things should be ok while I am gone however it's these trips up north that always make me think I should buy an apex instead of all this coral.

I am aiming to pick up one more very high end SPS stick next week or so. You'll all know it when you see it.

After that I won't be spending another dollar on the system unless it's on an Apex unit.

• Like 2

Tank looks young to say the least. I can't say I'm as crazy about it as everyone else is but you certainly have the frag collection and equipment to foster a beautiful shallow reef. I would consider a more even bulb distribution between "blues" and "whites", both for aesthetics and for coral health but that's just my opinion.

Good luck, can't wait to see it grown in! :)

Tank looks young to say the least. I can't say I'm as crazy about it as everyone else is but you certainly have the frag collection and equipment to foster a beautiful shallow reef. I would consider a more even bulb distribution between "blues" and "whites", both for aesthetics and for coral health but that's just my opinion.

Good luck, can't wait to see it grown in! :)

Thanks, it definately is still young at only 7 months however the foundation is set for a very healthy and stabile long term system. Currently I am not crazy about the frag forest look however it's much more interesting to grow out a ton of frags slowly instead of stocking colonies. It makes the whole process a bit more of a "slow burner." Comparable to growing a plant from a seed instead of buying a potted version.

I am ok with the bulb array at the moment. I have considered running 2 and 6 instead of 2 and all 8 more for color purposes but haven't started yet. That would also balance the light a bit more with less blue+ on at the same time. However I do like the color palate at the moment.

• Like 1

Thanks, it definately is still young at only 7 months however the foundation is set for a very healthy and stabile long term system. Currently I am not crazy about the frag forest look however it's much more interesting to grow out a ton of frags slowly instead of stocking colonies. It makes the whole process a bit more of a "slow burner." Comparable to growing a plant from a seed instead of buying a potted version. I am ok with the bulb array at the moment. I have considered running 2 and 6 instead of 2 and all 8 more for color purposes but haven't started yet. That would also balance the light a bit more with less blue+ on at the same time. However I do like the color palate at the moment.

Believe me, I'm in no way an advocate for stocking tanks with mature size colonies. With that said, I also don't think a young tank should be "hyped up" to such extreme levels without proving itself to be capable of respectable growth and long-term sustainability/consistency.

• Like 1
Believe me, I'm in no way an advocate for stocking tanks with mature size colonies. With that said, I also don't think a young tank should be "hyped up" to such extreme levels without proving itself to be capable of respectable growth and long-term sustainability/consistency.

I think you are missing why this tank has a little hype. It's nothing to do with proving itself. I think while the tank is young, it has been plenty stable. Aj is getting decent growth and color from every single piece he puts in it. I have seen plenty mature tanks with 20 huge colonies of brown sps poop. It's no small feat to have the color Aj is getting with his pieces.

Also let me point out. A lot of the hype with this tank is the collection. Hands down, very few people can say they have what Aj has in this tank. He has a lot of rare gems. If you are a sps person, you should know what some of these pieces go for. Saying that u don't understand why people like the tank is kinda crazy. He is getting growth, color, and the tank is looking plenty mature for it's age.

• Like 3

Also could have something to do with the fact that based on his past husbandry he clearly knows how to get that respectable growth and long-term sustainability/consistency coupled with the fact that he has put some of the nicest sps pieces in it. Seems like a perfect reason something would be hyped.

• Like 2

You are 100% correct here, I just assume people followed this thread for its past TOTM build history or know that it isn't my first attempt at building a reef as well and are interested to see where this will go. That being paired with a significantly notable frag collection is maybe worth following along. Not sure where the word "hype" is coming from however, I just post photos and some folks like them or comment like any other build thread on here.

I do appreciate the criticism and any more would be welcomed, I always want to keep learning new things and if there are things readers think I am doing wrong or poorly, I would be interested to know what they are.

Check back in 6 months and I promise this thing will be growing strong and if you are in Canada stop by for some frags...

I think you are missing why this tank has a little hype. It's nothing to do with proving itself. I think while the tank is young, it has been plenty stable. Aj is getting decent growth and color from every single piece he puts in it. I have seen plenty mature tanks with 20 huge colonies of brown sps poop. It's no small feat to have the color Aj is getting with his pieces. Also let me point out. A lot of the hype with this tank is the collection. Hands down, very few people can say they have what Aj has in this tank. He has a lot of rare gems. If you are a sps person, you should know what some of these pieces go for. Saying that u don't understand why people like the tank is kinda crazy. He is getting growth, color, and the tank is looking plenty mature for it's age.

Thanks. I set out to stock a tank of some high end SPS frags thats all.

Also could have something to do with the fact that based on his past husbandry he clearly knows how to get that respectable growth and long-term sustainability/consistency coupled with the fact that he has put some of the nicest sps pieces in it. Seems like a perfect reason something would be hyped.

Again appreciate it, I don't know where the word hype is coming from though, just happy to keep sharing. Thank you.

Good news is came back from trip and everything is looking awesome. Hoping to pick up another bad ass SPS frag tomorrow, time will tell waiting to see I can get to RR or not.

• Like 5

Digging the spotless sand :). Also, saw you reddit today haha (promise I'm not a stalker).

Thanks! What did you see on reddit? Just that I have an account or a specific post?

Thanks! What did you see on reddit? Just that I have an account or a specific post?

I looked up the top posts in their reef subreddit. I was a few pages deep and saw your tank/name there. Unfortunately that subreddit is pretty weak overall.

• Like 1

I follow this thread because I'm planning a coral heist. Hoo? Me??? Naw. When were you going away again?

Lol. I was gone last week. You missed your shot.

I actually always wonder if someone broke in would they realize some of the more valuable items to steal are in the aquarium.

• Like 3

I looked up the top posts in their reef subreddit. I was a few pages deep and saw your tank/name there. Unfortunately that subreddit is pretty weak overall.

Yea it's too bad. It seems to be getting a bit better as time passes but there are tons of mediocre posts and lots of garbage advice.

I love reddit though.

• Like 1

Yea it's too bad. It seems to be getting a bit better as time passes but there are tons of mediocre posts and lots of garbage advice.

I love reddit though.

Yep, me too. I didn't even subscribe to it after looking through a few pages and the top posts. By the nature of build threads, reddit isn't really suited for tank threads. It would be cool if more random pictures made it up there though.

So here are the three new additions, and likely won't be adding any more coral for a while until I get an Apex unit up and running.

They are definately lacking color at the moment as most SPS do after transportation and a dip, however since adding and since these shots, polyps are out and they are doing well. I will be mounting them in the little free space that is left on the rocks this evening.

DSC02875.jpg

RR Jawdropper, very happy Jay got me a piece of this, the colors are a little off right now but the polyps are blue and it should color up very nicely with a bit of time.

DSC02866.jpg

RR Multicolor Matrix

DSC02864.jpg

RR Red Diablo

• Like 4