Top Shelf Aquatics

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

New additions look promising. :twothumbsup:

You need to take a top down shot if your whole tank then label all the frags in the picture :)

• Like 1
I came for the corals, but stayed for the hype. Following.

Ha. Glad to have you along. Hope it lives up to the hype.

DANG. YUNOLEEVETOWNNAO?

Soon.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Seems I really have this system dialled in now. Frags look like they are growing a measurable amount overnight.

Pictards or liez!

• Like 3

Thanks, it definately is still young at only 7 months however the foundation is set for a very healthy and stabile long term system. Currently I am not crazy about the frag forest look however it's much more interesting to grow out a ton of frags slowly instead of stocking colonies. It makes the whole process a bit more of a "slow burner." Comparable to growing a plant from a seed instead of buying a potted version. I am ok with the bulb array at the moment. I have considered running 2 and 6 instead of 2 and all 8 more for color purposes but haven't started yet. That would also balance the light a bit more with less blue+ on at the same time. However I do like the color palate at the moment.

Don't change your lighting, that ####tard doesn't know what he is talking about. With acros white will increase growth, but blue is what increases color and helps the colors fluoresce. I know it sounds crazy but just because an acro grows (at any rate of speed really) doesn't mean it is healthy. Color is the bigger health and happiness indicator with acros, and appearance wise higher blue is more appealing because it shows the acros true colors ;)

If you are a sps person, you should know what some of these pieces go for. Saying that u don't understand why people like the tank is kinda crazy. He is getting growth, color, and the tank is looking plenty mature for it's age.

DING DING DING!!! lol

So here are the three new additions, and likely won't be adding any more coral for a while until I get an Apex unit up and running.

They are definately lacking color at the moment as most SPS do after transportation and a dip, however since adding and since these shots, polyps are out and they are doing well. I will be mounting them in the little free space that is left on the rocks this evening.

DSC02875.jpg

RR Jawdropper, very happy Jay got me a piece of this, the colors are a little off right now but the polyps are blue and it should color up very nicely with a bit of time.

DSC02866.jpg

RR Multicolor Matrix

DSC02864.jpg

RR Red Diablo

Dude you need to change your name to McDonalds, cuz I'm Lovin it!!! Stunning man. Sorry don't think that was enough hype..... When this beast grows out it won't be a TOTM..... it will be tank of the world!!! :) lol

• Like 4

I think he's just showing off. :naughtydance:

Need links to bigger pictures, so those of us who want to stare at the goodness can see it!

• Like 2

Pictards or liez!

I will try and get some growth pictures sometime this week. Promise.

Don't change your lighting, that ####tard doesn't know what he is talking about. With acros white will increase growth, but blue is what increases color and helps the colors fluoresce. I know it sounds crazy but just because an acro grows (at any rate of speed really) doesn't mean it is healthy. Color is the bigger health and happiness indicator with acros, and appearance wise higher blue is more appealing because it shows the acros true colors ;)

DING DING DING!!! lol

Ha thanks! Glad you are liking what you are seeing. I gotta say, getting a Jawdropper is HYPE, it looks weird right now, but when the white lights went off last night and just the two Blue + were rocking my god, the flourescence came out.... ballin.

I have been tinkering with light height etc. however the color palate is great for what I like to look at and everything is doing well. May still raise the light a bit however I am waiting to see what the new height combined with addition of 2 drops of AAHC weekly does.

Dude you need to change your name to McDonalds, cuz I'm Lovin it!!! Stunning man. Sorry don't think that was enough hype..... When this beast grows out it won't be a TOTM..... it will be tank of the world!!! :) lol

Maybe someday. I don't know if I will ever get TOTM again with this as its same display just different layout and contents. That would be sweet if I did though. TOTW sounds sweet haha which site would post that. LOL

I think he's just showing off. :naughtydance:

Need links to bigger pictures, so those of us who want to stare at the goodness can see it!

I am showing off a bit, although I planned on picking up this Jawdropper frag before the whole overhype back and forth. I think its safe to say anyone with a build thread is a bit of a show off as we all are hoping to share our work and have people recognize or commend us. This being said, I hope people ask more questions so this thread is a resource and not just a photo dump. I am always happy to share my thoughts and opinions as well as husbandry suggestions etc. I have people sending me PM's asking for specifics which is perfectly fine, but I always prefer them to ask in the thread so other people can learn as well.

As far as larger pictures are concerned. I don't like to post huge photos as it messes up the thread structure and also keeps things loading fast... I will try and take exceptions for FTS shots or anything showing bigger layout shots.

It's a great hobby to keep in your living room, but its even better when you can share it with other peeps with the same passion.

Soo thats it for a while for frags. (Although I have Jay growing out a Shazam, and what he calls Pink Cadillac for me) will be grabbing these in next few months. Next step is APEX not sure if I should get the all in Gold version with Temp, PH, ORP and Conductivity, or just start small with the PH and Temp and eventually add on the ORP and Conductivity. Thoughts?

• Like 2

I've never had ORP or conductivity probes, only pH and Temp. I wouldn't be interested personally because I wouldn't know what to do if the ORP was out of whack aside from a water change, which I would already be doing. Also, think of an extra RR frag or two that you could be buying with that money. :D

• Like 1

I am showing off a bit, although I planned on picking up this Jawdropper frag before the whole overhype back and forth. I think its safe to say anyone with a build thread is a bit of a show off as we all are hoping to share our work and have people recognize or commend us.

Of course you are, it's a reward for all the hard work of getting a system stable. Not a damn thing wrong with it.

.. now about those larger pic links?

• Like 3

What are your target parameters? Which salt mix do you use and how do you dose? Also, a couple of years ago, before I entered the SW hobby, I ran across the video you made of this tank. I had never seen designer clownfish before and nearly crapped myself. That video/ music compilation is awesome, I hope to see more in the future.

• Like 1

I've never had ORP or conductivity probes, only pH and Temp. I wouldn't be interested personally because I wouldn't know what to do if the ORP was out of whack aside from a water change, which I would already be doing. Also, think of an extra RR frag or two that you could be buying with that money. :D

This is true and good advice. Really only reason I could see wanting Conductivity monitoring is to send me a wireless notification if for some reason the ATO failed and was either lowering or raising Salinity. However because I have a gravity fed ATO this is almost impossible as its relatively fail safe (knock on wood).

Of course you are, it's a reward for all the hard work of getting a system stable. Not a damn thing wrong with it.

.. now about those larger pic links?

Ha Will see what I can do. Is there a special BB code or something on here to change the size of the image in the thread while expanding to a Hi-Res version? I use Photobucket to host the photos. I suppose I could use HTML?

What are your target parameters? Which salt mix do you use and how do you dose? Also, a couple of years ago, before I entered the SW hobby, I ran across the video you made of this tank. I had never seen designer clownfish before and nearly crapped myself. That video/ music compilation is awesome, I hope to see more in the future.

Thanks glad people still remember the old videos. Nowadays there are tons of nice videos with high end cameras and music however at the time I think that was a first or at least rare. Those videos were featured all over the Reef web.

Parameters

• Salinity Level: 1.025
  • Temp: 79
  • pH: 8.2
  • Calcium Level: 420
  • Alkalinity: 7.5 dKh
  • Ammonia: 0
  • Nitrite Levels: 0
  • Nitrate Levels: <0.0
  • Phosphate: <0.00
  • Sandbed Depth: 1 in. Carib Sea Seaflor Special Grade Aragonite
  • Liverock: 40 lbs (Split between sump and display)
  • Total System Water Volume: 60g

I am currently rocking Red Sea Blue bucket as this is very close to NSW params when freshly mixed and seems to be very very clean. It is a favourite for those over at the ZeoVit forums for running ULNS.

I dose everything manually once or twice a day depending on the supplement. It seems this is the easiest way when running ZeoVit. I have thought about a doser for years for at the ZeoStart and Two Part, however the blue bottles rule this tank and make daily dropping inevitable. I have opted to not risk automation if I will have to do something daily anyways.

When I go away for 2-5 days I don't really worry about it as the system is very stable. However if I ever go for a couple weeks or something I will be training someone close to me on ZeoVit.

- A.

• Like 3

Nice. I love the blue bucket salt but too heavy for me to lift. I wish they sold boxes that contained the smaller bags.

If you embed a picture over 800x600 it will auto resize here with a larger popup. That will slow down page loads, which I think you are trying to avoid. ImageShack has forum code which causes NanoReef to send me to imageshack where I can view larger picture sizes.

Here's a tiny one for example.

eaqo.jpg

The code ends up looking like this.

[!url=https://imageshack.com/i/n1eaqoj][!img=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320x240q96/829/eaqo.jpg][!/url]

I can set the quality of the embedded image by changing the number after the q -> 320x240q96

I'm a software dev so I get all excited over these boring details. :D

edit: bah, the code tag failed so I grunged the tags with exclams !

• Like 1

DSC02854TEST.jpg

This is the best I got. Photo bucket caps it at 1024x768. I tried using the link at original resolution function but N-R won't let me link to photos in Original resolution.

• Like 4

Aj, get a flickr account, unlimited everything :)

flickr! flickr! flickr!

I guess I could switch, I just have hundreds and hundreds of photos already on Photobucket (I set up the account years ago prior to Flickr and don't use it for anything else other than reef stuff). I just tried uploading something there (Flickr) and N-R wouldn't let me use the picture function with the direct "shortened" link to the image. What image code are you guys using?

• Like 1

I guess I could switch, I just have hundreds and hundreds of photos already on Photobucket (I set up the account years ago prior to Flickr and don't use it for anything else other than reef stuff). I just tried uploading something there (Flickr) and N-R wouldn't let me use the picture function with the direct "shortened" link to the image. What image code are you guys using?

BBCode

• Like 1

Not Flickr, but new photos with just 2 ATI Blue + lighting things up.
DSC02896.jpg

Color is really improving since raising the light.

DSC02908.jpg

Jawdropper looking dope.

DSC02921.jpg

Avenger encrusting

DSC02946.jpg

Wicked Sunrise tips are getting very bright.

DSC02941.jpg

Pretty in Pink Really colouring up

DSC02936.jpg

Tierra del Fuego encrusting quickly and colouring up.

DSC02931.jpg

Wolverine has totally encrusted the plug and onto the rock

DSC02948.jpg

Nauti Spiral Growth is awesome

DSC02927.jpg

FAL Wolverine has fully covered the plug and is turning very yellow.

DSC02932.jpg

Maricultured Secale seems to be holding color ok and is already encrusting.

• Like 7