ReefCleaners.org

40G SPS Masterpiece *New Coral Pics*

scottyreef

yeah I have been feeding them reef chili but i am doing it sparsely so i wont increase my Bio-Load too much. What does everybody think of reef chili. I know its not the greatest but i think it will work

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottyreef

• pismo_reefer

• Jacobnano

• lilredneckman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

never tried it. i am skeptical of all prepared foods to be honest. i feed sf bay's "marine cuisine" but only half of what i pay for is actually food. the rest is water mixed with crap.

well i guess we'll see how well it works out and since i only have one fish i hope that its the best choice. i feed my springeri dottyback Arctic Pods with a pipette

Well everything is still alive after my coral cook a couple days back i think i lost the acan colony Oh Well. I talked my wife into buying some new stuff for my tank of coarse the ACIII, A outer orbit pro, and a calcium reactor but i need to find a version that is small enough for my tank and stop my 2 part dosing. I also want to trade out my ultra life ATO and get a Tunze Osmolator ATO

Edited by scottyreef

Well just ordered A New lighting system today after my coral Cooking Disaster

Dr. Fosters & Smith

Outer Orbit Pro Series HQI/T-5/LED Lights 24" 355W $463.99

I also bought new lights for my new fixture

Reefgeek.com

1 x 24W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent (UVL0001) by UV Lighting = $21.95

2 x 24W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent (ATI1009) by ATI = $37.90

1 x 24W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent (ATI1001) by ATI = $19.95

1 x 250W 14000K+ Metal Halide Bulb (Double-ended) (PEC0007) by Phoenix = $64.95

I decided to go with the Phoenix 14k instead of the Giesemann Megachrome 21k Becuse i have more than enough blue spectrum and plus the bulb is time tested and i can get one just about anywhere with out searching to hard.

Ok Guys/Gals tell me what you think of my lastest purchase

Also all of the stock bulbs will be going up for sale new and unused so if you need any shot me a pm

1 X 250watt PowerPaq 10,000K HQI metal halide Bulb

2 X SlimPaq T5HO Actinic 420nm Bulbs

2 X SlimPaq T5HO Actinic 460nm Bulbs

Edited by scottyreef

This is the first time i have had T5HO's before I only had a 150watt sunpod on this girl and with the sole bulb eventhough it was a very high quailty bulb i have known for a while i was missing something. As for the T5 bulb change i wanted to get a more custom color at of the fixture that the stock bulbs couldnt give me

Edited by scottyreef

T5 lamp PAR readings

( RC member "The Grim Reefer" Numbers)

ATI

Sun Pro 357

Aquablue 336

Blue Plus 311

Actinic 137

D&D/Giesemann

Midday 325

Aquablue 324

Actinic Plus 264

Pure Actinic 157

AquaZ

Sun Pro 285

Ocean Pro 323

Blue Pro 266

Helios

Daylight 309

Super Blue 225

Current Sun Paq

Daylight 10K 272

Blue 252

GE Daylight 340

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;pagenumber=1

Edited by scottyreef

Dang scotty, with the new light, the corals are gonna be growin' like crazy! Hope you let them recover from the cooking accindent before you put the new light on, or you'll really cook em'.

I have had them before and i really liked them the only reason i switched in the first place was that i wanted more blue spectrum and with the 21K Giesemann thats why i had to change. i think this will be my 4 or 5th phoniex bulb but my first one that wasnt 150watt. i wonder is there is a differnce between the too there probably isnt but i guess its something to think about.

On a side note i got 2000 4 and 6 mil bags from uline today and i am going to sell some off seeing is that i dont need 2000 bags for coral i have 4 X 18" and 3 X 12" bags they will be sold off in 100 bag packs for $12 shipped so if anyone need any drop me a PM.

I also got 8 Polar-tech insulated shipping containers that feature 1 1/2" thick insolation so i am ready for everyone who wants to buy so livestock after it all color up of course :)

http://www.polar-tech.com/scmed_2_5_bio-Shippers.htm

Edited by scottyreef

You got it SDT and i was thinking of packing up a vial of coral revive mixed with some flatworm exit so when people get them they will be able to dip there corals and give them a good start in there new tank

Been watching your thread for some time now. Sorry to hear about the lighting overdose, but I'm sure you'll have it back to technicolor normal soon. Your SPS is beautiful and is motivating me to get setup for serious SPS sometime in the future.

thanks guys my coral after just a full day with out light are looking better i only have the lights on for four hours a day building up to more time everyother day day until i get back to my old light cycle of two 4 hour cycles per day with 8 hours off in between.

I'm curious about your light cycle being 4 on / 8 off / 4 on / 8 off / .... Why is this? It's halving & doubling the normal day night cycle, obviously, so does this encourage growth?

You've mentioned using a Canon for pics... more info please? What settings do you use, and what exactly is your setup for the "underwater" shots?

Also, as a professional nature and fishing guide, I want to say thanks for your work on mercury emissions (noted earlier in the thread). Awesome! And incidentally, I'm a WV native who now lives in SC, so I dig the fact that you are having a direct positive effect on places near and dear to me. Curious (PM me) if the company has a plant in the SC or GA area that will benefit from this mercury extraction technology.

OK, lot's of random questions all in one post, sorry! Oh, one more thing: if your plans still include relocating back to the left coast this month, please put me on the list for any exports prior to your departure!

Thanks,

Been watching your thread for some time now. Sorry to hear about the lighting overdose, but I'm sure you'll have it back to technicolor normal soon. Your SPS is beautiful and is motivating me to get setup for serious SPS sometime in the future.

thank you and I hope they recover soon too

I'm curious about your light cycle being 4 on / 8 off / 4 on / 8 off / .... Why is this? It's halving & doubling the normal day night cycle, obviously, so does this encourage growth?

This is a quote from Practial Coral Farming by Miguel Tolosa

4 on 8 off light cycle

There have been some experiments exploring the benefits of maximum Zooxanthelle alage production by using a alternating light cycle of 4 hours on and 8 hours off.

The Journal of Experimental Msrine Biology and Ecology Found that Motility, Or growth, In the cells of Zooxanthelle alage " occurred only during the period of illumination and lasted 8-9h, with a peak at 2.5-4h after lights on." It is this peak at 2.5-4h that has given rise to farms based on the 4 on 8 off light cycle. there has been increased coral health. The amount of growth depends upon the corals being farmed, but nearly all coral show marked improvement using this light cycle.

You can find this article in the Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and ecology Volume 298 Issue 1, 7 January 2004, Pages 35-48

So yes I have very good succes with this method.

You've mentioned using a Canon for pics... more info please? What settings do you use, and what exactly is your setup for the "underwater" shots?

Will I use a off the shelf Canon S5IS with a 4" extension tube and a UV filter and Mod a tripod that lets the extension tube down in the tank only about 2" protecting the lens and the movemnts. and its set to super Macro mode

Also, as a professional nature and fishing guide, I want to say thanks for your work on mercury emissions (noted earlier in the thread). Awesome! And incidentally, I'm a WV native who now lives in SC, so I dig the fact that you are having a direct positive effect on places near and dear to me. Curious (PM me) if the company has a plant in the SC or GA area that will benefit from this mercury extraction technology.

Well I work For AEP and i am not sure if they do have any power plants in you area. I think you get most of your energy comes from Duke Energy but every on in the industry is upgrading the mercury system to ones similar to the ones i was involved in

OK, lot's of random questions all in one post, sorry! Oh, one more thing: if your plans still include relocating back to the left coast this month, please put me on the list for any exports prior to your departure!

not a problem

Thanks,

Your welcome

Edited by scottyreef

Look at this insulated shipping box I think they will work great but i guess it does cut down on the amount of stuff i can put in to one box with its 1 1/2" of insolation

I have two sizes

Large (not pictured) 7 3/4 x 5 7/8 x 10 1/2" Price $8.12 each

Small (pictured) 7 3/4 x 5 7/8 x 4" Price $4.87

IMG_1616.jpg

Edited by scottyreef

Well today i was gluing a frag down and when i put it back in the tank one of my Peppermit shrimp came over to check it out and glued him self to the frag plug hahahahahaha. He'll be fine after his next molt one of his leg got pulled off. I i know everyone wants pic's but i trimmed it off before i thought of taking a picture. Sorry guys

gulfsurfer101

Hey man, nice light you picked. I'm looking at running duel supods or at least deul MH fixtures over a 40br or sell my sunpod and get a 250 for my AP24 drilled with out those BS backwalls. I just picked up a frag of ORA's latest release ORA borealis and already fragged it out. If I don't get any good trades by the time your stuff recovers I have a very small peice of this very limited coral that you might want to get your hands on.

yeah i had 4 but I am not sure if i got a killer in my tank ( aka Springeri Dottyback) now i am down to two and they keep the few aiptasia that seem to pop up from time to time. Its funny everytime i put my hand in my tank one of those guys attacks my hand.

Edited by scottyreef

Well it looks like i will get my new light on wednesday acorrding to DR. Fosters & Smith but i have no eta on the satus of the new bulbs from reef geek but i hope its soon because i dont want to put my new light on with the stock bulbs

I guess i spoke too soon I just now got a email from reefgeek and it said it will be here on the 21st i hate waiting

Edited by scottyreef
gulfsurfer101

Hey what do you plan on doing with your old sunpod, I just made a post on the classifieds looking for a MH fixture for trade on some SPS. What I have to offer is a small 1/2 frag of the new ORA borealis, frag of ORA purple tip stag, frag of ORA montipora spongeodes, frag of bali purple enchinata, and if your willing to trade I can throw in a small frag of my ORA marshall island blue bottlebrush acropora. I don't know if you have any of these already but I would really like another sunpod so I can get both my aquapods running and just use my 12g for a frag tank.

well the sunpods going to my brother tank unfortunately he's setting my old 20 long up and i am giving him the light sorry partner. I have most of your sps frags i think i am not sure what the borealis is but I am only in the market for either a tunze osmolator or deltec skimmer. I have a viper clamp on 70watt, skimmers, wavemakers, powerheads, and corals for trade sorry gulf.