ReefCleaners.org

40G SPS Masterpiece *New Coral Pics*

scottyreef

yeah there is a lot of wierd nerdy stuff there. Some that i have no idea what they are.

I need to hunt down some peristaltic tubing that has a long wear life does anyone have any ideas my last peristaltic tubing set was made from norprene but it didnt last that long only about 3 months before it lost it reziliance

Does any one have any ideas on what type i should get?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottyreef

• pismo_reefer

• Jacobnano

• lilredneckman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i got my new bulbs from reefgeek today and i am letting them burn in a bit before i put them of my tank. I have to say this fixture os pretty cool with these bulbs I sure hope it works out over my tank i know the light need to be hung high but i didnt realize how wide the fixture but i think it will be ok

to recap

Outer Orbit Pro 250watt MH with 4XT5HO

Front:

UV Lighting 10000K AquaSun

ATI Blue Plus

Phoenix 14000K

ATI Blue Plus

ATI 12000K Aquablue

Bulbs Removed and now for sale Unfired Unused

1 X 250watt PowerPaq 10,000K HQI metal halide Bulb

2 X SlimPaq T5HO Actinic 420nm Bulbs

2 X SlimPaq T5HO Actinic 460nm Bulbs

Thanks for looking

Scott

yeah there is a lot of wierd nerdy stuff there. Some that i have no idea what they are.

I need to hunt down some peristaltic tubing that has a long wear life does anyone have any ideas my last peristaltic tubing set was made from norprene but it didnt last that long only about 3 months before it lost it reziliance

Does any one have any ideas on what type i should get?

Well I tracked down some peristaltic tubing for my new dosing pump. I decided on getting

Watson Marlow Brendel Marprene Bore/wall 1.6mm / 2.4mm ( 1/16" / 3/32") 0.43 (ml/revolution) Flow rate

10,000 hr tube life

Tube Material

Marprene

Applications Product

Most often recommended tubing material. Highly resistant to oxidizing agents such as ozone, peroxides, and hypochlorite. Marprene is also opaque to both visible and ultra-violet light, and maintains low permeability to gases such as oxygen, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen.

Product Temperature

From 10°C to 80°C

(50°F to 176°F)

Nerd stuff :P

I havent put the new light over the tank until the HQI bulb has burned in i it will be on monday. since i am running the bulb for 12 hours a day until it was finished it burn in time. But i will post them as soon as i get the fixture over the tank

Cheers

scott

Ok Here or Pic's of my brand new Outer Orbit Pro In Action. I really like this thing it really pushes out the wattage. I had to hang it up pretty high to make sure it doent cook my tank.

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

I really need to clean up my cords

IMG_1627.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by scottyreef

Well things are starting to look better my colors are coming back slowly and i am really happy with my new light it is soo bright it kind of hurts my eyes to look at it. My light schedule is back to normal and i can wait to see the result from the Outer Orbit but that will take time

it blows the sunpod out of the water for sure. no dark spots and hammers out the light. Yeah one thing i do have to say about the outer orbit it really brings out the spots that i missed durning my normal routine so guess that a ood thinag and a bad thing i missed the dead spots on the corners of my tank.

gulfsurfer101

That's it. I have DS in my AP12 under a 150w sunpod w/no suplementation lighting. I'll be saving for one now for shure. After thanksgiving break I'm looking at 60hr weeks so about three weeks of OT should pay for it and a good MH bulb. I love how clean the last pic of your SPS comes out under that lighting.

Edited by gulfsurfer101
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone well i have some good news and I have some bad news. First the good news I am going to Ierland for trhe next year the bad new All my corals got to go

I have to have everything out my this tuesday

The whole system is $2500 that includes everything in the tank the lighting skimmers ATO, Vortec everything (Huntington, WV) ( invested over $6000)

If I dont get any bites i will sell all of the corals in the tank. Every one how buys only one item will get a free coral. I will post pic soon with prices but the people how know what i have bid away

The the War Begin

Scott

Yeah it does but I am really excited that i get to work in such a great new place. it wouldnt be a problem but since its such short notice i am forced to do a quick sell.

My SPS corals as of July 9, 2008

2- ORA Marshal Island Tri Color (resembles purple bonzia- purple with neon green polyps)

2- Green Slimmer

ORA Blue Millipora

Acropora Loripes (purplish grey with white polyps)

Blue Slimmer

2- Larry Jackson Tri Color

2- ORA Chips Acro

ORA Montipora Spongodes green/green

ORA Montipora Spongodes green/purple

Purple Monti cap

Orange Monti cap

Reverse Pokerstar Monti

Montipora Undata

Alexander the Grape Montipora Cap

Strawberry fields montipora

ORA Tri-Color Valida

Oregon blue tort

Cali blue tort

Acropora Efflorescens

Greg Hillar Aqua Delight

Eddie Bauer Acropora Vermiculata

Green with purple tip long Stalk Acro

Acropora Cerealis pink and purple with yellow tips

Acropora Tenuis pink with purple tips

Blue with green polyps Millipora

German Blue polyp digitata

Nice tank! I really like the CadLights. Hey can you point me in the direction of the money tree you use so I can get some nice corals like you have.

Scott,

We've been PM'ing about the coral purchase, during which I was led back to your Tank thread and realized you'd answered my post. When I first saw your For Sale thread in the classifieds, I didn't make the connection. It was your Tank thread that finally motivated me to go SPS! I remembered you had plans to move to Indiana and would be selling livestock then, but as it turns out you got this job in Ireland, and timing being everything it turns out I just upgraded to T5-HO!

Thanks for the info on the 4 on 8 off light cycle. I might be adjusting to that starting in January. One concern is that my tank gets a good bit of daylight from the windows across the room. Perhaps this only works in a darker room that can give a true "night" cycle during the false 8 hour "night"?

Thanks also for the camera info. I actually have the S5 also! In addition to Super Macro mode, do you use a specific aperture/ISO/etc? I'll have to look for a 4" tube, as the one I have is shorter, only enough for the lens to extend.

I appreciate all the info, and I'm REALLY looking forward to the new coral. Back to deciding which pieces I want most!

Blair

Been watching your thread for some time now. Sorry to hear about the lighting overdose, but I'm sure you'll have it back to technicolor normal soon. Your SPS is beautiful and is motivating me to get setup for serious SPS sometime in the future.

thank you and I hope they recover soon too

I'm curious about your light cycle being 4 on / 8 off / 4 on / 8 off / .... Why is this? It's halving & doubling the normal day night cycle, obviously, so does this encourage growth?

This is a quote from Practial Coral Farming by Miguel Tolosa

4 on 8 off light cycle

There have been some experiments exploring the benefits of maximum Zooxanthelle alage production by using a alternating light cycle of 4 hours on and 8 hours off.

The Journal of Experimental Msrine Biology and Ecology Found that Motility, Or growth, In the cells of Zooxanthelle alage " occurred only during the period of illumination and lasted 8-9h, with a peak at 2.5-4h after lights on." It is this peak at 2.5-4h that has given rise to farms based on the 4 on 8 off light cycle. there has been increased coral health. The amount of growth depends upon the corals being farmed, but nearly all coral show marked improvement using this light cycle.

You can find this article in the Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and ecology Volume 298 Issue 1, 7 January 2004, Pages 35-48

So yes I have very good succes with this method.

You've mentioned using a Canon for pics... more info please? What settings do you use, and what exactly is your setup for the "underwater" shots?

Will I use a off the shelf Canon S5IS with a 4" extension tube and a UV filter and Mod a tripod that lets the extension tube down in the tank only about 2" protecting the lens and the movemnts. and its set to super Macro mode

Also, as a professional nature and fishing guide, I want to say thanks for your work on mercury emissions (noted earlier in the thread). Awesome! And incidentally, I'm a WV native who now lives in SC, so I dig the fact that you are having a direct positive effect on places near and dear to me. Curious (PM me) if the company has a plant in the SC or GA area that will benefit from this mercury extraction technology.

Well I work For AEP and i am not sure if they do have any power plants in you area. I think you get most of your energy comes from Duke Energy but every on in the industry is upgrading the mercury system to ones similar to the ones i was involved in

OK, lot's of random questions all in one post, sorry! Oh, one more thing: if your plans still include relocating back to the left coast this month, please put me on the list for any exports prior to your departure!

not a problem

Thanks,

Your welcome

• 1 month later...

Great looking tank man, hopefully after your awesome trip in ireland you can come back to Reefing, you know it will always be a part of your life after having a tank that looked that good

If your selling the 250w HQI+T5's outer orbit let me know, i was looking at upgrading my lights on my biocube to that fixture eventually

Happy Reefing and have a fun and safe trip to Ireland

• 2 weeks later...

2000th post I thought i would add it on here of all places

I really miss this tank being up but all hope is not lost in about 5-6months i am starting up a custom made Starfire glass 67gallon ulitmate reef tank

design thanks to NR member 121a

tank1.png

tank.png

tank2.png

tank3.png

2DTANK.jpg

BUILDERS_NOTES.jpg

Edited by scottyreef

I just looked and itt was really hard to read what i posted on Builders notes

2DTANK-1.jpg

Builders Notes

USE 3/8" low Iron/Starfire glass