Pod Your Reef

40G SPS Masterpiece *New Coral Pics*

scottyreef

gulfsurfer101

No prob, I'd still be interested in the 70w clamp on since I want to run my 150w sunpod over my AP24 and still need a light for my 12g. The borealis is ORA's latest release and is a very hard one to get. They are limiting the number of frags that go out to one per order from them. I also have a small frag ofATL sunrise millipora and Tub's mystic blue acropora. I'm just in the market for a MH fixture and don't want to spend anymore cash than I have to to get my 24 up and running.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottyreef

• pismo_reefer

• Jacobnano

• lilredneckman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well i have enough corals right now and i a month or so i plan on getting rid of quite a few of my frags before my tank move to indiana. I am only in the market for hardware sorry and to be honest the Viper needs a new bulb it's about 8 months old already.

Latley I have been getting a lot of PM's about turn over rate for SPS and i thought i woulD share my thoughts

A good rule of tumb when dealing with a diverse reef tank is to keep the 10x -20x turnover rate* when keeping soft coral mushrooms and zoas. SPS coral are a different matter all together SPS dominated systems benifit from a 50x -80x turn over rate* ( I have 118x turnover rate)

* turnover rate is your tanks volume total volume that is passed though a pump every hour

Ebb and flow

It is a good idea to keep and changing water pattern in you tank to help minimize any dead spots that can allow for the accumulation of detritus that could lead to a increase in nitrates and phosphates. Keep a turbulent flow pattern achived my having two or more opposing power heads or the installion of a wavemaker or pump timer system that is set at intervals to give you a changing water pattern.

Cheers

Scott

Well my New light came into today but i am still waiting on the bulbs from reefgeek that should be here on friday

YEAH

IMG_1620.jpg

This thing came in a huge box its on a queen bed in the guest room

IMG_1621.jpg

Opening!!!!

IMG_1622.jpg

The Remote Ballast

IMG_1623.jpg

And Last but not least the light

IMG_1624.jpg

I am not going to mount and fire the bulbs up until i get the new bulbs and i also dont want to fire it up becuse i am going to sell the bulbs off brand new and unused

I am stoked

gulfsurfer101

I'd be interested in that MH bulb. I need to replace mine sooner or later. That is a sweet light btw.

Edited by gulfsurfer101

what size HQI bulb do you need? this one that i just got today is 250watt 10k PowerPaq but if you use this bulb you really need actinic supplementation. I do have some ebay 150watt 14k bulbs and 5month old 150watt 14k Phoniex bulb

I dont really know pretty cheap it only got a 2 months tops in it bulb i only keep it as a back up in case my other bulb failed i you want i got a lot of other hardware lying around are you looking for anything else?

Ok Gulf,

Well it seems that today i got a PM about Caulerpa and i thought i would share my thought on the matter of removal in the case of having no livestock to rid you of the infestation.

If you dont have a rabbitfish and so can't seem to catch up on the outbreak. The best option is this and i now it sounds really wierd but trust me it really works........ freeze your live rock

freezing the infected pieces of live rock causes the caulerpa cells to liquefy (along with many other types of bad alage) thus making it very easy to remove the outbreak. After placing the rock in the freezer overnight, allow the rock to return to room temperature scrub and rinse rock in fresh saltwater, and skim heavily after reintroducing it into your system to remove execess nutrients that caulerpa would leave behind.

Scott

well my tank is healing but there is still a long road ahead. I can't wait to fire up my new light with all my new bulbs. I know that i am going to have keep the light much higher due the the Lumen upgrade I am going to shoot for about 19" above the closest coral tip to start with and i will adjust from there.

I like the Vortech MP20 of mine but i think i am going to upgrade the module to a MP40W either this week or next week. i want to have more wave control and the bump up in GPH will hopefully tanke care of a few dead spots that have estabished in my tank as of late.

I am going to post some frag for sale soon hopefully. I am working between 12 to 14 hours a day and i havent had a day off since Nov 2nd and i dont plan to have one off until around the weekend after Thanksgiving. With all the work i have to get dont for a major Engineering project of mine. So i wont be able to send anything out until the first week of Dec.

no problem i will be about one hour from Louisville (Madison IN) so your on partner. Do you belong to the local reef/Aquarium club down in your area,if so which is it?

gulfsurfer101

Yikes man, those are shutdown hours. Good god man, get some sleep already. I should be turning in soon as well. I'll be looking foward to that livestock thread.

yes they are shutdown hours I am doing a 1300MW steam turbine Retrofit/Overhaul. I Only get about 5 hours a night so i will be hitting the hay in a bit its rough but it pays well....,at least i will get more Fish stuff as my wife puts it. I will try to get the thread when i have more time

gulfsurfer101

Sounds kind of familiar. We are converting a convential powerplant into a combined cycle plant and are about a month and a half ahead of schedule so our engineers are pretty pleased with us. Were were doing 12 but recently got cut back to tens and it feels nice to get that little bit of extra rest.

very cool gulf, what company are you working for? how big is the plant going to be?

Well my dosing pump went out today and my tank hasnt been getting any calcium so i need to track down a new one. I think i am going to look in to a multi head lab dosing pump with programable channels. i have a friend in the chemical biz and i think i can get one used or at cost. currently i have only two channels dosing and i want to have four channels dosing ALK,CA,MG and Vodka. yeah i now it might evaporate but i am going to keep in a enclosed container with a one way valve to let only a little air in

Well finding a programmable pump didnt take long to find. I called a used Lab supply company In LA and they had this Cole Palmer Masterflex 2550-60 computerized control drive

10 - 600 rpm Speed

Digital Readout

Digital Speed Control

Accommodates all sizes of L/S Pump heads and will drive up to four heads

Flow rates from 0.10 ml/min to 2300 ml/min

RS232 Comm

Includes Four Cole Parmer 7518-60 Masterflex Easy-Load Pump Heads

not actual device but the one i am getting in almost new and in prestine condition

26588_1.jpg

that things is long gone i got rid of it after it started to recede a few months back. It was the non photosynthetic type and i could provide it with enough suspended nutrients due too i feed very little amount of food in my tank