Innovative Marine Aquariums

B-Dare's 40 Breeder

bdare

Yeah... I'm pretty bummed about the fish. He was really cool and had great personality. The colors in the picture are only what he displayed when he was hiding. After he got more comfortable he became a really nice orangy / yellow. Looked really cool the way he swam.

I'm obviously not getting another midas. Any suggestions on what else I should get?

a tiger shark maybe?? If I can get rid of my little pain in the ass pseudochromis, I'm seriously considering a mandarin. I've wanted one for a while now, and once I break down my frag tank (maybe tomorrow) I'm going to have about another 20+lbs of lr rubble in my sump. Then i will have a total of 80-100lbs. (not sure exactly) of lr in my system, should be plenty to grow some mandarin food. What do you think about a small tang?? Mine is doing great and is by far the coolest addition fishwise (did I just make up a word??) that I have added to my tank. Not to mention it keeps the tank COMPLETELY clean of any GHA. If you're willing, I would consider a small purple tang, those are sweet.

Maybe if you get a tang your wife will fall in love with it and let you set up a bigger tank for it later on. That's the plan with mine anyway. It's working so far!!

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdare

• glennr1978

• nanoty

• aquakevem

New Skimmer Skimming. It's taken about a week to break in, but now it's really working.

Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Here's a FTS. Not sure if you can tell, but I added 3 chromis to top off the tank.

Picture007.jpg

Sweet FTS, which model skimmer is that? I was looking at the Euroreef skimmers at Drfostersmith and the 125g model was like $240 or something. I need to pick one or at least try to find a good used one.

Thanks man,

How's your build coming? The skimmer is an Octopus EXT-PS-120.

Ben

Things are at a stand still right now. I am just staring at an empty tank on my stand :angry:

I should be able to put in 40-50 hours next week during Spring Break so I should have $500-600 to dump into the tank. I will probably buy all my plumbing stuff: Hole saws, bulk heads, tubing, nozzles, pvc, valves, overflow, pumps, sump and materials and probably a skimmer.

Am I forgetting anything?

Edited by nanoty
a tiger shark maybe?? If I can get rid of my little pain in the ass pseudochromis, I'm seriously considering a mandarin. I've wanted one for a while now, and once I break down my frag tank (maybe tomorrow) I'm going to have about another 20+lbs of lr rubble in my sump. Then i will have a total of 80-100lbs. (not sure exactly) of lr in my system, should be plenty to grow some mandarin food. What do you think about a small tang?? Mine is doing great and is by far the coolest addition fishwise (did I just make up a word??) that I have added to my tank. Not to mention it keeps the tank COMPLETELY clean of any GHA. If you're willing, I would consider a small purple tang, those are sweet.

Maybe if you get a tang your wife will fall in love with it and let you set up a bigger tank for it later on. That's the plan with mine anyway. It's working so far!!

I went to Petco the other day to buy some filter pads and was looking at thier fish and saw a mandarin in one of thier tanks and all I could think of was that little bastard is doomed.

If I get a good population of pods in my system in 6 months or so I will probably try one. I will probably do a small tang too, just to make people mad :P

Your tank is looking great Ben. Keep us posted on how that skimmer is working out for you. I may be looking to upgrade pretty soon. Is there any noticeable difference in the corals since you added the new skimmer, or the water clarity?

Thanks Glenn,

I can't really tell yet cause it's really only started pulling stuff out the last 2 days. I'll keep ya posted though!

Ben

Ok sooooo.... since Glenn put a video on his thread I figured if I want to keep up with the Ritters I'd better put up a video too! :)

th_Picture017-1.jpg

cool video Ben. I found a guy locally that has some acro frags for sale. He says he has some pretty nice stuff, I'm gonna go check it out this weekend. So hopefully I will have a few more frags pretty soon, not that I have much room for them.

Overall I'm pretty darn happy. If you are looking for quiet, DON"T buy a pan-world pump. I've also considered doing 2x150 instead of the 250. This is mainly because I ended up with way more SPS than I was originally planning and would like the corals on the edges to get a little bit more light. I think you've seen I also had to redesign my sump and I've ended up buying a better skimmer. In 6 months I'm sure I'll come up with other stuff to tinker with...

I'm thinking I may go 2x 150 myself.....actually I've been eyeing a 2 x 175 kit.

I'm thinking I may go 2x 150 myself.....actually I've been eyeing a 2 x 175 kit.

You bastid. You're the one that talked me into 1x250! :P

You bastid. You're the one that talked me into 1x250! :P

yeah I know!! sorry man, I just get bored. I'm probably going to put my 250 over the 30g once I start that build.

WOW!!!!

I was just about to add more water to my top off container. I saw all this stuff floating around in my tank and I couldn't figure out what it was. I turned the light on in the room and they were moving! I couldn't resist... I turned on the T5's in the tank.

THEY WERE BABY PEPERMINT SHRIMP!

Floating EVERYWHERE! I just took a video and I'll upload it as soon as I can!

Ben

suppressive fire

hey, so how are you liking the 1 250? I was wondering if 2 250's would be too much, the only thing is that I will have only sps.

I think 2 x 250's would be sweet if you could eliminate heat as an issue. I don't have any problems with 1 but I'd prolly take precautions with 2.