• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdare

• glennr1978

• nanoty

• aquakevem

This is awesome. I like the CL return...haven't seen that before but thats probably just because I'm new. Heh. Where did you get the idea? I'm interested to see the effect it has once you start everything up.

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

It's filled with fresh water and will be running in my garage for about 1 week to make sure we have no leaks.

DSCN6948.jpg

DSCN6949.jpg

DSCN6950.jpg

DSCN6951.jpg

Edited by bdare
Looks great Ben!! How's the flow in the tank?

THANKS!

The flow is SWEET! I am soo excited about the way it turned out. I tried taking a video of the turbulance on top of the water but I had problems posting it to YouTube.

I'm going to move the tank inside the house this week and start making water. I should be able to get it filled by the weekend and I'll order my live rock next week.

I AM AN IDIOT!!!!

I saw I had a small bit of water leaking from the thread adapter on the bulkhead under the tank. I shut everthing down, removed the adapter and added some more teflon tape.

I also became aware I had more water siphoning into the sump then I wanted when the power cut off so I unhooked the return from the sump to drill anti-siphon holes in the loc-line. I drilled the holes and put the returns back.

I was soo excited to see if it would work I turned the pump on not realizing I hadn't put the union together under the tank that connects the pump to the outputs. Water started squirting EVERYHWHERE!

I immediately jumped up and ripped the plugs from the wall. I've dried everything off, but I'm not turning anything on again until tomorrow to let the water inside any outlets dry completely.

I'm sooooo bummed. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Ben

My live rock arrived today.

It was a bit of a fiasco as UPS was supposed to deliver it yesterday. The package got damaged in shipment. I called PA this morning and let them know. They put an order in to have 50lbs sent out on Monday (I didn't pay overnight shipping and I'm in a 2 day ship zone. Since today is Thurs...). Low and behold the rock showed up at 10:30. When I put it in the tank I noticed there was quite a bit of rubble. I was also worried because the rock was in a COLD warehouse the rock might not turn out as nice.

So I called PA again... The offered me 10lbs of new rock or %25 ($50). I took the money. I was quite impressed with PA with how they treated the whole thing. Just another notch in thier belt with me...

Enough blabbler...

DSCN7000.jpg

DSCN6999.jpg

DSCN7004.jpg

DSCN7003.jpg

Edited by bdare
Nice!

any sand in there? :huh:

Thanks Kev. I've acutally got close to 50lbs of sand to add later. I decided I'd let the rock cure w/o the sand in the tank. I bought uncured rock and I want to let all the dead stuff just blow off rather than get suck in the sand. The sand will get seeded with bacteria as soon as it's added.

I AM AN IDIOT!!!!

I saw I had a small bit of water leaking from the thread adapter on the bulkhead under the tank. I shut everthing down, removed the adapter and added some more teflon tape.

I also became aware I had more water siphoning into the sump then I wanted when the power cut off so I unhooked the return from the sump to drill anti-siphon holes in the loc-line. I drilled the holes and put the returns back.

I was soo excited to see if it would work I turned the pump on not realizing I hadn't put the union together under the tank that connects the pump to the outputs. Water started squirting EVERYHWHERE!

I immediately jumped up and ripped the plugs from the wall. I've dried everything off, but I'm not turning anything on again until tomorrow to let the water inside any outlets dry completely.

I'm sooooo bummed. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Ben

Sounds like something I would do!! It looks like you got some nice LR, but once you get it all in place do you think it will be enough?

Edit: At second glance it looks like you'll have plenty!!

Edited by glennr1978

It's 50lbs. Plus I figure most times you get a new coral it comes on rock. It's pretty dense and I got a few pretty big pieces. I think it will be ok.

Edited by bdare

Lil update to report...

I re-did the plumbing leaving the SCWD. I had to throttle my return pump way down to get the SCWD to keep from rattling. I figured out the plumbing I had originaly installed was causing too much back pressure after the SCWD thus causing it to rattle. I removed the 90 degree elbows I had installed and replaced it with soft tubing. I didn't take a picture of the "after", but here is the before I replaced.

DSCN7019.jpg

Lil update to report...

I re-did the plumbing leaving the SCWD. I had to throttle my return pump way down to get the SCWD to keep from rattling. I figured out the plumbing I had originaly installed was causing too much back pressure after the SCWD thus causing it to rattle. I removed the 90 degree elbows I had installed and replaced it with soft tubing. I didn't take a picture of the "after", but here is the before I replaced.

Soft tubing ftw!

• 2 weeks later...
Looks sweet dude. Hope you had a good Holiday. I wonder if you got something for the tank for xmas?

-Seed

Not yet... The tank is still cycling. I did some water tests yesterday. Phosphate is pretty high. I've been running the atinics for 4-6 hours / day to get the coraline started and I'm starting to get some algae growth. I stopped by HD today at lunch and picked up a light for my chaeto (5500K 19w PC bulb).

When I leave work today I'll rip some of the chaeto out of the back of my bio cube and get it going at home. Hopefully it will pull the nitrates and phosphates down...

I was beginning to think I was going to have a quick cycle. I didn't have an amonia kit just nitrite and nitrate. I saw the nitrite spike and drop so I was beginning to think I was done. Over the weekend I picked up an amonia kit... Uh yeah... not done yet.

I also added some sand over the weekend. More pictures once I work on the scaping..

What are the odds on getting a cost breakdown? I am curious what a start to finish on this custom 40 runs. I hope the misses doesn't read this. ;)

Here's a rough estimate:

OM Squirt 2 Way - 180

Pumps - 300

Stand and canopy - 300

Lighting - 400 (MH, T5 and moonlights)

Overflow box - 60

Tank - 60

Sump - 40 including baffles

Skimmer - 200

Plumbing - 100

ATO - 75

ACJr - 250

SCWD - 40

Substrate - 50

Live Rock - 250

That is just the stuff I can think of. I'm always taking trips to HD for little things here and there. Also since I really don't have any good LFS what I've paid for shipping MULTIPLE times isn't included in there.

And... believe me when I say I've still got a shopping list :) There is always stuff I want. ( Chiller, fans, Lietermeter III, A 2partsolutions starter kit...) The list goes ON AND ON.

Christmas was yesterday... where's my present?