ReefCleaners.org

B-Dare's 40 Breeder

bdare

suppressive fire
I think 2 x 250's would be sweet if you could eliminate heat as an issue. I don't have any problems with 1 but I'd prolly take precautions with 2.

Well with my tank setup (which is in my sig) The one with the halides will be on and the middle 40 and the sump 30 will be off, I figure that that will help with the heat because of so much water not getting heat. The middle tank will have the tek t5's ran at night and sump no lighting what so ever.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdare

• glennr1978

• nanoty

• aquakevem

Well with my tank setup (which is in my sig) The one with the halides will be on and the middle 40 and the sump 30 will be off, I figure that that will help with the heat because of so much water not getting heat. The middle tank will have the tek t5's ran at night and sump no lighting what so ever.

I would think you would still have some heat issues, even with all that water volume. Unless you mounted them pretty high in the canopy, and had alot of air moving through there. I really don't think 2X250's would be necessary though, even with the most light demanding sps. You gotta remember these tanks are only 16" deep!!

I'm a bad bad boy... My wife is out of town so I figured I could get away with having some stuff delivered without her yelling at me...

Derasa Clam (I LOVE HIM!... and he loves me)

Picture046-1.jpg

Lunar Orange Zoos

Picture047.jpg

Sunkist Zoos

Picture048.jpg

Halo's

Picture049.jpg

Purple Heat Palys

Picture051.jpg

THE one and only "Purple Death"

Picture052.jpg

Green Quasar

Picture058.jpg

Blasto1

Picture050-1.jpg

Blast2

Picture053.jpg

Blasto3

Picture055.jpg

I also got a bunch of yumas on a single rock. I had to break the rock up. Some of the other are prettier, but this one looks the best at the moment and is still recovering

Picture057.jpg

I also had to get rid of the pepermint shrimp. They were killing my brain. The brain is injured, but recovering.

How do you like the Purple Deaths, are they worth the $$? I swear man, we think alot alike. I've been wanting to load up my tank with zoa's and paly's lately, I think I'm pretty much good on the SPS......for now.

Where did you order your corals from?

Shrimp = bad.

nice corals!

Thanks for the compliment!

I had a baaad feeling when I got those shrimp! I've heard the horror stories. I had a few aptasia and a buddy said they wouldn't hurt anything... The good news is the aptasia are gone.

How do you like the Purple Deaths, are they worth the $$? I swear man, we think alot alike. I've been wanting to load up my tank with zoa's and paly's lately, I think I'm pretty much good on the SPS......for now.

Where did you order your corals from?

I'm LOVING the purple deaths. They are REALLY deep purple. I wanted to get some high dollar corals that would be good for trading later. I got such a good deal on these I coudn't resist. I actually picked them up from zoanuts.

I placed 2 orders this past week. 1 was with zoanuts. The other was from reef hotspot. I've also been picking up frags from a buddy locally. In fact, last night he gave me a few more zoa frags. The lights were out when I brought them home so I'll try to take pictures tonight.

He gave me some insane halloween zoas, armor of god, kryptonite greens, and red dippers. I also got a small frag of some aussie zoas. At the moment I can't remember if they were the olives or something else. I pretty much traded those for a small frag of blue slimer and some pink digi.

:angry:

Why you gotta hate on me playa? :P

Edited by bdare

nice build, i havent been really keeping up with everyones 40's lately, just trying to get mine up and running

i have 2x150's and its awesome, more than enough, especially with 4xt5ho's

i think 1x250 would just fall short in spread

nice stuff, ill check in once in a while

nice build, i havent been really keeping up with everyones 40's lately, just trying to get mine up and running

i have 2x150's and its awesome, more than enough, especially with 4xt5ho's

i think 1x250 would just fall short in spread

nice stuff, ill check in once in a while

That sounds like a sweet setup! If I were to do it all over again I think I would go with 2x150's as well. Although, I do like having the lower lighting areas to keep things like blastos. What reflectors are you using for your MH? I've considered adding 2 more T5's but my reflector is too wide at the bottom (where the light comes out... smaller at the base). The lip would block too much light...

Ben

Thanks for the compliment!

I had a baaad feeling when I got those shrimp! I've heard the horror stories. I had a few aptasia and a buddy said they wouldn't hurt anything... The good news is the aptasia are gone.

I'm LOVING the purple deaths. They are REALLY deep purple. I wanted to get some high dollar corals that would be good for trading later. I got such a good deal on these I coudn't resist. I actually picked them up from zoanuts.

I placed 2 orders this past week. 1 was with zoanuts. The other was from reef hotspot. I've also been picking up frags from a buddy locally. In fact, last night he gave me a few more zoa frags. The lights were out when I brought them home so I'll try to take pictures tonight.

He gave me some insane halloween zoas, armor of god, kryptonite greens, and red dippers. I also got a small frag of some aussie zoas. At the moment I can't remember if they were the olives or something else. I pretty much traded those for a small frag of blue slimer and some pink digi.

Why you gotta hate on me playa? :P

I'm going to Houson for the weekend (my weekend is sun, mon, tue!!)but I think I'm gonna order some frags when I get back. Good call on the purple deaths. I hear they grow pretty fast, and they are always in high demand. Maybe I will bite the bullet and buy some nice (expensive) paly's to trade later on.

current outer orbit mh/t5 fixture

it fits perfectly over the tank with ~1" from front to back on each side

great light for the 40br, but i may need to get the 4' 2x250w w/4t5s because i want to get a 90 tall now

very nice man..i just read through the 10 pages..very sweet

Thanks!

I'm due for another FTS soon showing the clam etc, but right now I'm having a bacterial bloom from adding vinegar to my Kalk. When my Ph dropped I quit using the vinegar...

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks!

I'm due for another FTS soon showing the clam etc, but right now I'm having a bacterial bloom from adding vinegar to my Kalk. When my Ph dropped I quit using the vinegar...

Ben

updates please.

Not much to update. Here are some pics:

Left Side:

Picture375.jpg

Center:

Picture376.jpg

Right Side:

Picture377.jpg

Here's a picture of my new LitermeterIII. It's helped me TREMENDOUSLY!

Picture373.jpg

To be honest, I don't think 40g is widely accepted as "nano". most websites I have been on considered 25g or less to be nano, and just recently one of the sites changed it to 30g or less.

Edited by TJ_Burton

Tank is looking good, those LiterMeters are expensive huh? I am going to try and swing a RK2 or ACjr but it may be a little while.

I'm jealous Ben!! So I guess with that litermeter your tank is pretty much on auto-pilot now. I'm thinking about switching my sump to a 20T so I will have a bit more room in my stand. On second thought, I really wouldn't have to. My tank is angled in a corner in my living room. I could just put the alk, and Ca bottles behind it. Hmmm, very tempting!! Wehere did you order the litermeter from?