• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdare

• glennr1978

• nanoty

• aquakevem

Your plumbing looks awsome!!

When i had a frogspawn i would thaw frozen brine shrimp in a little bowl of water , then i would suck it up with a small syringe and squirt it in the center of the frogspawn. Hope this helps!

First off I love the tank. It is killing me looking at my 40 breeder sitting on the floor empty. How is the plumbing and flow working out? At Glenns advice I am considering copying some of your ideas.

One question I have is do you have a cover screen over the intake for the closed-loop system?

I am also looking at the same stand/canopy setup you have and was wondering if you got the solid oak or the red oak plywood one.

I am thinking about talking to melvsreef about having an overflow built.

First off I love the tank. It is killing me looking at my 40 breeder sitting on the floor empty. How is the plumbing and flow working out? At Glenns advice I am considering copying some of your ideas.

One question I have is do you have a cover screen over the intake for the closed-loop system?

I am also looking at the same stand/canopy setup you have and was wondering if you got the solid oak or the red oak plywood one.

I am thinking about talking to melvsreef about having an overflow built.

Thanks!

The plumbing is honestly working out great. I love the randomness of the flow. I have redesigned the sump to go Drain w/ skimmer -> Macro -> Return. I was having problems with micro bubbles. By increasing the distanse from the drain and the return more bubbles were able to get out.

If anything I think there's too much flow. I'm looking to get a smaller return pump. It's throttled back a little bit. I feel if I got a smaller pump the tank would run more efficient and perhaps cooler and using electricity.

The flow is strong and random and will be great for SPS but, I'm having trouble finding spots for my LPS.

There is a screen over the closed loop drain. I didn't want any creatures getting sucked up in there. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

If you have any more questions just let me know.

Ben

Yeah I don't think I want too much flow as I like my LPS and softies and only plan on keeping a few SPSs. Of course that could change eventually but then I could probably just upgrade pumps.

Edit: You probably said in the thread somewhere but did you build your own durso overflow? I have never plumbed a tank before and I am slightly worried about trying to get all of my stuff together on my own.

Edited by nanoty

I've also been adding Kalk with my ATO. I'm just doing a light dose since I don't have much in there to soak it up. I usually add 3tsp of Kalk in my 5 gallon top off resivoir. I will say since I started adding it, my skimmer has been working much better and the coraline is REALLY starting to take off.

Here's a picture of the CL drain and a few others I thought I'd share...

DSCN7226.jpg

DSCN7228.jpg

DSCN7229.jpg

See the controller? I LOVE THAT THING!

DSCN7235.jpg

Redesigned sump with Chaeto

DSCN7234.jpg

Brain coral getting down on some krill

DSCN7203.jpg

Edited by bdare

I'd be willing to bet that this is going to be one of the nicest 40's on here in about a year or so. Good job Ben!!

Btw, I love the way the aquascape turned out.

Edited by glennr1978
I'd be willing to bet that this is going to be one of the nicest 40's on here in about a year or so. Good job Ben!!

Btw, I love the way the aquascape turned out.

Definately looking good, of course yours is looking smooth too Glenn. Mine is going to look like poop compared to yalls. Damnit.

Definately looking good, of course yours is looking smooth too Glenn. Mine is going to look like poop compared to yalls. Damnit.

Regardless of how your tank turns out you still have the coolest avatar. In a really wierd, s&m kind of way!!

Hi jack over.

I realize this is problably not a GREAT decision on my part but the itch got the better of me. I went to a local reefers house last night and picked up my first SPS frags. They were cheap so no love lost if something goes wrong... I snapped these pics when I was home for lunch.

Tyree tricolor

DSCN7269.jpg

hairy blue milli

DSCN7270.jpg

blue tenuis

DSCN7271.jpg

atlantis purple monster

DSCN7273.jpg

Edited by bdare

If the frags start to look bad, I can always hold em for ya ;). Did you get a good deal on the frags? If the guy you got them from has anymore, do you think you could get me a couple if I send you the $$$ for them?

Oh yeah, nice score btw!!!

I hear you got some sweet new frags. When are you gonna start showing them off?

Seriously guys, once he posts some more pics this thing is going to look like it's fully stocked already.

I hear you got some sweet new frags. When are you gonna start showing them off?

Seriously guys, once he posts some more pics this thing is going to look like it's fully stocked already.

I have no idea what you are talking about... B)

As Glenn noted I got a new camera. I'm still learning how to use it, but here are a few pics of the new frags I got. If I could just get all of Glenn's frags out of my tank, I might have more room for my own :P

Blue Tort

Picture082.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture118.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Picture029.jpg