Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

B-Dare's 40 Breeder

bdare

Well,

As some of you know I've been planning a 40 breeder. This tank started as a 20H, but I kept going back and forth in the planning stages trying to figure out how I could fit a large enough tank underneath the stand for a decent sized pump. To make a long story short... it just got too frustrating. I've always wanted a 40BDR and I thought, "Why spend all this money on a 20H when you are just going to want a bigger tank in 6 months?" S

So here we are.

My original plan was to just keep LPS and softies. I have been looking into T5's for a long time and thought that was the direction I wanted to go, but the shimmer called out to me. I was going to just get a single 150W, but then Glenn got a 250 and convinced me otherwise. So now, I'll keep high light LPS, some SPS and sofites. Here is the plan as it stands now:

Lighting

1 250W Phoenix 14K in a Reef Optix 3 HQI reflector powered by an IceCap Electric ballast

2x39W T5 supplemented atinics. (B+ and Super atinic bulbs)

Filtration

- Center internal overflow 4x6x4

- Eheim 1262 Return pump split by SCWD with 1 return on either side of the overflow box.

- Closed loop powered by some 1000-1200GPH pump TBD

The closed loop will be split by an OM squirt 2 way. Each side will have 2 returns along the left and right sides of the tank

- 20H sump. The return will be split between the skimmer and a fuge packed with Chaeto. The middle area will be for the return.

- Skimmer will initially be an AquaC Urchin.

Today I built the stand. I've been looking for WEEKS online to come up with a design I liked. I still don't know what kind of doors and trim I will put on the outside, but I have time to decide.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

STAND:

DSCN6502.jpg

CL Plumbing Return:

DSCN6503.jpg

That's all I have for now. I'm always open to suggestions. I'm leaving for Lost Wages tomorrow for a week so no updates for awhile.

-Ben

Edited by bdare
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdare

• glennr1978

• nanoty

• aquakevem

Looks great so far. Was making the stand easy, need to make one myself.

It was "fairly" easy. As the tank sits now there are some places where I can see a gap between the stand and the tank. I'm going to get some of that pink foam from Home Depot to put in between the stand and the tank. Hopefully that will give me the even support I need!

Nice start bdare, Man i can't wait to see another 40B thread soon :)

Gimme a couple months :P

There seems to be an outbreak of 40B's going around, not that thats a bad thing, they make great tanks!

It is looking great man, could you post some more pics of your stand? I am still in the planning phase, but I like how sturdy your stand looks.

Gimme a couple months :P

There seems to be an outbreak of 40B's going around, not that thats a bad thing, they make great tanks!

It is looking great man, could you post some more pics of your stand? I am still in the planning phase, but I like how sturdy your stand looks.

The top of the stand is open, but keep in mind, only the outer frame of the tank actually makes contact with the stand anyway. I actually got the idea for my stand from a guy over at RC. See here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...;highlight=150W

Mine is pretty must exactly like his except I didn't put the other legs on the sides.

nice start and good plans! Tagging along to see how it goes. I saw you are not decided about the door. How about a door that its not visible? Something like I did. Hope you like it and somehow help you decide.

2-23.jpg

1-22.jpg

And use this to hang it/hold it close

DSC_0006.jpg

And the result:

DSC04855.jpg

I really like the stand to be like a big piece of solid wood and theres no noticeable door seems. The panel is 3/8" so its light and easy to carry. Also give a LOT of space to work in the sump.

Nice ideas bdare. Any plans for the canopy? Have you considered two 150s as opposed to the single 250?

Hey Stoney,

I'm DEFINITELY building a canopy. I'm going to try and do something similar to glennr1979. Mine will problably overlap the rim of the tank, but I really like the opening on his. There is PLENTY of room to gain access to the tank.

I thought about 2x150's. At one point that was my plan. I decided on 1 bright bulb because I think it will give me lots of flexibility in terms of high and low light corals. I'm hoping by using B+ for the T5's it will lighten the edges and not be SO dramatic with the shadows.

Sammy: I really like your stand. That is a killer idea. I think I'm going to add door(s) though because it will help me gain acceptance from my wife ;) I'm going to try to make the stand blend in with my wife's "decour" :mellow:

Thanks to the rest of your for your kind words. When I get back from Vegas I'll prolly have the tank drilled for the over flow and closed loop. I found a local glass shop that will do them for $15 / hole

Ben

I got back from Vegas on Friday. When I got back my lights had arrived with only one problem... the glass shield was broken. Since I got the unit for better than 50% off I don't mind paying for replacement glass.

Reef Optix 3 with IceCap 250 ballast.

DSCN6612.jpg

More then 50% off your lighting huh? Someone got a awesome deal, to bad about the UV glass though.

Yeah,

Reefgeek sells the reflector for $127.95 and the ballasts go for $119. I paid $100 SHIPPED (used) so an extra $20 for the UV glass is OK. Now I just need to try to decide on a MH bulb. Since I'm going to have the 2x39W T5's, I'm thinking I might like a whiter light so the tank isn't TOO blue. Right now I'm considering the Reeflux 10K, Phoenix 14K, or...

If I go with the Phoenix I don't think I'll get pure atinic T5's. I'll prolly rock some B+. I think this will give me better coverage over the tank and more par on the edges.

Ben

Edited by bdare

I made a few purchases last night.

10K 250W DE Reeflux

Eheim 1262 for return pump (898 gph)

SCWD

PanWorld 50PX-X (1100gph) for closed loop and

OM Squirt 2 way

Pictures to follow...

Well,

Due to advice against building my own stand from my father-in-law, I've decided to buy a stand and canopy. The main argument was that I would spend just as much money building my own and I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I went with a setup off E-Bay. It is solid oak and I paid $300 to have it delivered to my door. HERE is the link.

When everything gets here I'll take some pics. I plan on staining it black.

Ben

The frame that you built for your stand looks pretty well built. So it's gonna be DIY all but the stand? But thats a nice lookin stand an canopy from ebay though.

The frame that you built for your stand looks pretty well built. So it's gonna be DIY all but the stand? But thats a nice lookin stand an canopy from ebay though.

Yeah bro,

I threw in the towel on the DIY stand and canopy. This will be a piece of furniture in a room at the front of my house. I really have no wood working skills and I'd like this thing to look nice. I was figuring to easily spend over $200 in matierals anyway. To save myself the frustration I just threw down the extra $100.

I'm still going to stain it myself and add some hardware to it (handles) so it will still be somewhat DIY ;)

Did you get your frame done? I think I'm going to use mine in the garage now for storage :D

Ben

Edited by bdare
Yeah bro,I threw in the towel on the DIY stand and canopy. This will be a piece of furniture in a room at the front of my house. I really have no wood working skills and I'd like this thing to look nice. I was figuring to easily spend over $200 in matierals anyway. To save myself the frustration I just threw down the extra $100. I'm still going to stain it myself and add some hardware to it (handles) so it will still be somewhat DIY ;)Did you get your frame done? I think I'm going to use mine in the garage now for storage :DBen
That's funny. I did the same thing with my attempt at a DIY stand, it's now in the garage, makes a nice place to store crap.

The stand and canopy that you bought look nice, but I don't like how the wood comes up so high around the edge of the stand. The 40 breeders are pretty shallow to begin with, seems to me that this will make the tank look even more shallow, taking away from the viewing area.

I was just looking at the pics of the stand again, and you could just put a couple layers of ply wood or 2x4's (which ever would work best) on top of the stand to make it sit more flush with the top of the trim.

Edited by glennr1978

Not yet, i did cut all the 2x3's used for my frame an test fitted it. I was gonna have my stand 36''x36''. But i do not like the way it looks, to high. So i'm gonna cut it down to 32'' high. I'm happy that i live five minutes away from lowes and home depot. Since i keep going there for ideas.

Still kinda scared to have my tank drilled for five holes.

Well,

Here's a picture of the equipment I've got so far. Pictured are:

Pan World Closed Loop pump

Eheim return pump

SCWD

OM Squirt 2 way

Reeflux 250w 10K in a Reef Optix 3

JBJ ATO

Durso Standpipe

Loc-Line returns

Bag'o Ball valves and Unions

10-23-07_2032.jpg

Sorry for the crummy pic. My wife mis-placed our camera so this is with the camera phone...

This past weekend I went to a DFWMAS members house and watched him drill 3 holes in his tank. It really doesnt' seem that hard. My drill bits from Hong Kong should be here this week along with my stand and canopy.

Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can get the tank drilled and plumed, the canopy stained and the lights mounted.

My stand and canopy got deliverd on Friday. I had to send the canopy back because it was too long. Should be here next week.

DSCN6734.jpg

I also put the baffles in my sump. Just ordered some glass from a local glass shop and siliconed it in place. The sump will be FUGE -> RETURN <- Skimmer

I also tried on the ATO for effect.

DSCN6735.jpg