ReefCleaners.org

B-Dare's 40 Breeder

bdare

Any pictures of the reefoptix over your tank? I'm considering going with the same pendant over my 40 breeder, but with a 12k reeflux bulb. I would like to see how that pendant covers your tank.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdare

• glennr1978

• nanoty

• aquakevem

Any pictures of the reefoptix over your tank? I'm considering going with the same pendant over my 40 breeder, but with a 12k reeflux bulb. I would like to see how that pendant covers your tank.

I should be getting the canopy next week. After I mount it I'll take a picture. Are you going to run any atinics with your 12K? Which ballast are you going to use?

I should be getting the canopy next week. After I mount it I'll take a picture. Are you going to run any atinics with your 12K? Which ballast are you going to use?

No actinics, just straight halide. For the ballast, i have a 250w Coralvue Electronic Ballast waiting to be put to use.

Any updates?

I actually have a few updates, I've just been really bad about taking pictures.

First, I found out I used the wrong kind of silicone!!! I used GE II for windows and doors... the MILDEW RESISTENT KIND!!! Apparently this releases arsinic into the tank and can wipe out your inhabitants. I spent a good part of the day on Sunday scraping the sump and baffles with a razor blade till I had it all removed. Then I resiliconed the baffles in with Aquarium silicone from Lowes.

Saturday I drilled 2 holes in the tank. I totally ment to take pictures for everyone, but I was too anxious and just forgot. I have one picture I took with my cell phone during the process. I'm pretty sure I took this picture JUST after I took the template off. Basically I cut a hole in a piece of plywood the same size as the drill bit I was using. I used two smaller pieces on either side underneath the template to elevate it above the tank to let the water flow to the cutting area. I taped everything down with duct tape. Drilling the tank was really much easier than I thought.

One lesson learned however... When I cut the first hole, I just used duct tape on the other side of the hole to prevent the glass circle from falling on the oppisite side of the tank. The problem is I wasn't applying equal pressure to the hole. I ended up coming though one side of the hole first. The second side got pushed out and took a lil more tank with it than I would have liked. It's not TOO much, but just not perfect. For the second hole, I used duct tape then taped a piece of ply wood over the top. That hole came out PERFECT.

11-03-07_1037.jpg

I also recieved my canopy and T5's last night. I had planned on mouting all the lights so I could take a picture to share, but I really need to paint the canopy before I start mounting stuff. I'm going to TRY to get that done this weekend. I'm SUPER anxious to see the lights on in the hood!

I've also ordered my internal overflow box. We have a guy local here in Dallas that does a lot of acrylic work. I'm only paying $40 for the box and picking it up at our next DFWMAS meeting. I'm sure most of you have see his web site...

The next batch of pictures should be a big update....

Here are a few pics. Everything is taken apart right now because I'm painint the stand and canopy. New pictures to follow in a few days once the paint dries. I pick up my overflow box tonight...

DSCN6847.jpg

DSCN6848.jpg

DSCN6849.jpg

DSCN6850.jpg

FINALLY!!!!

DSCN6861.jpg

DSCN6862.jpg

DSCN6867.jpg

Overflow box will get installed shortly...

DSCN6868.jpg

Just for fun... here is my 8 gallon biocube on my desk at work.

11-16-07_0950.jpg

Edited by bdare
Looking good, how does that reefopitx reflector cover the tank?

Hard to tell right now because there's no rocks or water in the tank. From the top of the tank to the top of the hood is 12". I'm guessing the light is 8" off the water. Should get plenty of spread I'm thinking... I'm hoping I'll have darker areas on the edges to keep lower light LPS and softies.

Ben

if you felt the tank is sitting too low you could also always just use some foam...also helps incase there are any problems with the level of the tank.

It's on the list! I'm going to get a sheet and put some under the display tank as well as the sump.

Definitely away from water an moisture. Top of your canopy or back or in stand

I wouldn't put the ballast on (or in) the canopy. If you do you will likely have alot of heat issues. I have mine behind my tank up on top of a cinder block. If there's ever any leaks they won't get wet.

If behind the tank isn't an option maybe you could build a small shelf in the stand for them. Have you decided on a skimmer yet?

I can totally put the ballasts on the back of the stand. I guess I was worried about leaky plumbing dripping on them...

I'm gonna run with my Urchin for awhile. I like it because it's small and fits VERY nicely in the sump. If I start having performance issues I might switch to a Tunze nano or the 9005.

I can totally put the ballasts on the back of the stand. I guess I was worried about leaky plumbing dripping on them...

I'm gonna run with my Urchin for awhile. I like it because it's small and fits VERY nicely in the sump. If I start having performance issues I might switch to a Tunze nano or the 9005.

put the ballast in the tank. that should work

That would cause way to much heat....duh.

What? come on. the water will keep it cool..... sheesh

bdare I got an alpine sub to sell ya. trade ya for a frag one day.

This tank you got goin looks sweet. I'm gonna be watchin your progress bro.

-Seed

Edited by seed
Where's the return coming back through, the overflow?

Thanks for asking... Actually the return will be soft tubing connecting to a SCWD. There will be one return on either side of the overflow box.