Pod Your Reef

Arce's Tank

Arce

Mandarins got fin rot. Sps are ok so far. Since i tossed the millis i only have two or three pieces showing symptoms of aefw. Its weird though i havent been able to visually confirm them. They are going after my pc rainbow but its not bite marks its like a whole area. No idea. Dipped that and some others just to be safe.

That monti does look really good. What causes fin rot? I'm crossing my fingers on the AEFREAKINGFW.

Think its just bacterial. Yeaaaa the stupid fw are a pain. Reay killing my passion for the hobby.

Think its just bacterial. Yeaaaa the stupid fw are a pain. Reay killing my passion for the hobby.

We won't let you lose the passion altogether. It isn't allowed!

We won't let you lose the passion altogether. It isn't allowed!

RAP helped a little but i need to get these worms under control.

I have a really dumb question. Do they lay eggs on the rocks? or just on the coral. Maybe they keep laying them on the rocks!

I have a really dumb question. Do they lay eggs on the rocks? or just on the coral. Maybe they keep laying them on the rocks!

They usually lay eggs on the receding tissue of the sps so when they hatch they go straight for the coral. Its possible some are on rocks though.

• Like 1

They usually lay eggs on the receding tissue of the sps so when they hatch they go straight for the coral. Its possible some are on rocks though.

That makes sense. Evil little things.

• Like 1

Bayer is also my go to dip for sps. After playing with the dip strength, I've found something that works well. I use a lot more Bayer and do a short, but aggresive dip. I'll only do 4-5 minutes. The concentration is strong enough that the aefw fall almost instantly.

How many ml's per cup are you using?

I use 10-12 ml per 4oz of water. That is the number most people have settled on for Bayer. I see no negative effects and have yet to loose a coral because of it.

If my math is correct you are way under that.

30ml = 1oz so 120ml = 4oz. Your only using 1ml of bayer in almost 4oz. My dip is super cloudy once mixed. Almost looks like Milk. This could be why your not seeing them die and haven't been able to completely eradicate them.

That seems super concentrated. I know mark goes by 1 to 100 as well, alot of others i know also follow that. Ill look up what your saying though. Could be possible.

I dont like to link to other forums, but maybe this will help. At the concentration you are using the dip, the aefw would prob never die. You may stun them, but these guys are evil!

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticide-as-a-coral-dip.100496/

Cherry corals also uses up to 10ml per 4oz

http://www.cherrycorals.com/news/coraldips/

I could link 20 different post, but that's not needed. I started with 2ml per 4oz when i started using bayer a long time ago. When i got aefw i started experimenting on my own. In 10ml per 4oz they still were taking over 5 minutes to die. What i noticed at this concentration is they are stunned almost instantly which helps get them off the coral. Opinions vary on the internet, but most use alot more then 1ml. Running the store i was able to meet some of the best sps importers and growers in the hobby. All use bayer at very aggressive concentration with no problem.

Just trying to help man. I know how hard it can be to fight these things.

• Like 1

I definitely appreciate the help.

From my research, the dips not supposed to really kill them instantly or anything. The points to stun them so u can shake them off as you rinse them. Thats why some say all you needs 1 to 100. When i dip at that concentration i have all kinds of dead inverts in the rinsing container. Mini stars worms pods etc.

Correct. The point of the dip is to stun the aefw and get them off the coral. Even at 10ml per 4oz i have seen the aefw moving about like nothing after 15 min! :o Evil creatures

The reason alot of us have transitioned to higher dip ratios is that it stuns them almost instantly! It doesn't give them a chance to sneak into a polyp or find somewhere to hide. Once they find a hiding spot on the coral, they are sure to make it through the dip.

• Like 1

I have no idea whats going on anymore. I have not been able to visually confirm anymore AEFW. Some pieces are pissed still, i think from that one super long concentrated dip i did awhile ago and the alk issues. Alks somewhat stable now but kind of high for my liking around 11.5. Havent really seen new bite marks or any tissue loss. IDK :unsure:

What kinda lighting u gonna run??

For the 40?

Well when i set it up.. I want 2 150 mh w/ leds eventually... but i will probably run T5 and LEDs, probably the same fixture im using on the 29 since its 36".

I have no idea whats going on anymore. I have not been able to visually confirm anymore AEFW. Some pieces are pissed still, i think from that one super long concentrated dip i did awhile ago and the alk issues. Alks somewhat stable now but kind of high for my liking around 11.5. Havent really seen new bite marks or any tissue loss. IDK :unsure:

well keeping an eye on things is about the best thing right now.

• Like 1

For the 40?

Well when i set it up.. I want 2 150 mh w/ leds eventually... but i will probably run T5 and LEDs, probably the same fixture im using on the 29 since its 36".

I'm thinking about getting rid of my radion xr15pro and reef link