SaltCritters.com

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Could the low calcium also have slowed the carbonate take-up in the tank and made the alkalinity level go up?

In this case it was the doser that was set to dose more than usual

With calc that low, nothin been usin up alk either.. triple whammy

^^ beat me to it

since when you use gloves? mani/pedi time?

i use gloves! But a girl can always use a manicure. :)

• Like 1

So here is a quote from an Australian SPS farmer on RC who runs KH around 14. I'll just put this here so your head will explode, especially since you;re the only one i know who's dosed phosphate.

Ulns... not really no, we dose po4 and no3 by day and strip it out at night, we believe that browning [although related to high nutrient] occurs at night.
We have played around with iron supplements but no we dont use it. our skimmers are not needle wheel so im not sure why k is being utillised..unless its something to do with air volume??

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23736051#post23736051

• Like 1

Am I the only one that just turns down the AC if the tank heats up? I use it as a sign that it's too warm for me to be in the room too :wacko:

• Like 6

So here is a quote from an Australian SPS farmer on RC who runs KH around 14. I'll just put this here so your head will explode, especially since you;re the only one i know who's dosed phosphate.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23736051#post23736051

I'm on board with high phosphate and nitrate, high alk, high calcium, optimal pH and also high temperature ~80-81. This means the metabolic processes in the tank are on high also - feed more - coral explosion.

The issue becomes when one or 2 are high, not all. The ratio of all things - the balance - that is essential. It doesn't matter at which level of the balance exists - on the lower end, middle or higher end.

My phosphate is high right now - yet there is no browning in the corals. 2 frags show browning, but they are also new corals, likely from a system much lower in nutrients than mine. They will go through their zooxanthellae explosion, then they will expel it and color up - takes time but it will happen.

• Like 2

Am I the only one that just turns down the AC if the tank heats up? I use it as a sign that it's too warm for me to be in the room too :wacko:

I'm with you. I run my AC cool enough in the summer time that the tank needs a heater no matter how warm it is outside. It helps to have good insulation, double pane windows , and a radiant barrier to keep it affordable.

• Like 2

No fricking AC vents in my basement. I'm about to go medieval on the soffit that hides the ductwork to get me some air in the finished part of our basement.

• Like 3

I have fans, I want the cool air. Not puttin no hippie fan in my basement. :D

Dyson is hardly hippie. :slap:

I was out and about in the 90 degrees, wonderful breeze blowing so I didn't fry myself. I have almost no tolerance for the sun and I was pretty good today.

nanoreefnate

I feel a little bit like Reef Gardner in these photos :lol:

The blue is incredible in these corals

UC Super Blue Vermiculata

20150512_120212-1.jpg

Veng LE Blue Acropora

20150512_120410-1.jpg

UC Ice Tenuis

20150512_120228-1.jpg

Ohaidere Metro you have prettyful coral. :wub::flower:

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Hey there Kat,

I've really been thinking about ordering the UC Ice Tenuis. How long have you had it? What is your opinion on the blue compared to the vermiculata?

I do this too,luckily my house is energy star certed so we aren't drafty and the system is new. I keep the house at 69-70 year around. My tank also sits under a vent kinda so that helps.

• Like 1

Hey there Kat,I've really been thinking about ordering the UC Ice Tenuis. How long have you had it? What is your opinion on the blue compared to the vermiculata?

hi Mr. Scope. Both are a bright blue, thevermiculata shows greens and purples also. The ice tenuis is all over brilliant blue.

What sand sifting fish do you have?

none
  • Like 1