Pod Your Reef

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

The Shrimp Tank

Question.....are we at the point where we believe the unit is dosing straight peroxide? If I just continue to does like 7-8ml a day with a syringe that should equate out to about two weeks with the bottle

For me it would seem the Oxydator does dose some peroxide along with O2 but the question is how far from the Oxydator does the peroxide stay in it's pure state as I would expect it to break down quite quickly in salt water with organics etc in it. The stream of fine bubbles I have always assumed is O2 exiting the Oxydator.not peroxide.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question.....are we at the point where we believe the unit is dosing straight peroxide?

Yes. From information in the patent to discussion with the owner of the patent, it is clear that the Oxydator is a peroxide doser.

If the bubbles are indeed O2 which I am sure they must be then one assumes it doses both but in what percentages I wonder given the amount of fine bubbles that exit the Oxydator.

Yes. From information in the patent to discussion with the owner of the patent, it is clear that the Oxydator is a peroxide doser.

Yes, this is beyond any doubt.

Introducing the Oxydator 2.0 , now with high precision dose control :D

So after fiddling with the oxydator I figured out the issue with the "D" model Oxydator. As it turns out the instructions on setting it up are inaccurate...

Step 3: Make sure before closing that the brown plastic lid lays within the ceramic cover then shut the container

So this is false. You actually have to place the plastic lid within the diving bell first and ensured its sealed before placing it within the ceramic base. At which point you twist to lock it in place.

Heres how the unit should look before placing it within the ceramic base:

17093394932_9610f9ff5b_z.jpg

Following this I decided to setup a small "platform"to record the rate at which it doses oxygen/peroxide

16907118928_32816f150a_z.jpg

Please check out the video

The unit doses one drop approximately every two minutes.

So now with this sorted out I have the unit in a bucket with some sand and live rock and im going to observe how long it takes to empty the unit. At which point (provided it goes smoothly) ill add it back to my tank.

I have always put the lid on the bell ensurung a tight fit before attaching it to it's ceramic base. However once fitted in the base push down on the bell to ensure you have not dislodged it slightly and ensuring a tight seal with the cap is still made.

Non of you budding chemists out there willing to have a stab at what the mysterious white fine bubble things that regularly exit the Oxydator maybe apart from myself of course putting forward my thoughts? Of course it's been established Oxydator's dispense peroxide in to the tank but what I mean is if the Oxydator only doses peroxide then there is something mysterious happening there. Perhaps a gas of some sort like nitrogen or hydrogen or perhaps a new gas unknown to man. Na' I think we can dispense with that idea and those gases. However as far as I am aware hydrogen peroxide is a liquid and I doubt the bubble like things are liquid but maybe I am wrong Maybe one day we will find out until then its something of a mystery it would seem and nobody is prepared to hazard a guess. There is a man who will know for definite though if only he would tell or somebody would ask him.

Edit. Perhaps and this is a long shot I know the bubble like things are oxygen? Perish the thought.

CronicReefer

Non of you budding chemists out there willing to have a stab at what the mysterious white fine bubble things that regularly exit the Oxydator maybe apart from myself of course putting forward my thoughts? I mean if the Oxydator only doses peroxide then there is something mysterious happening there .Perhaps a gas of some sort like nitrogen or hydrogen or perhaps a new gas unknown to man. Na' I think we can dispense with that idea and those gases. However as far as I am aware hydrogen peroxide is a liquid and I doubt the bubble like things are liquid but maybe I am wrong Maybe one day we will find out until then its something of a mystery it would seem and nobody is prepared to hazard a guess. There is a man who will know for definite though if only he would tell or somebody would ask him.

The bubbles have to be oxygen or possibly even CO2. Peroxide is making its way into the water but the manufacture descriptions describe that the peroxide is broken down into water/oxygen/and some peroxide (to increase redox) escaping into the aquarium. I'm still betting its mostly oxygen escaping the diving bell as its broken down before it makes its way into the water column.

The bubbles have to be oxygen or possibly even CO2. Peroxide is making its way into the water but the manufacture descriptions describe that the peroxide is broken down into water/oxygen/and some peroxide (to increase redox) escaping into the aquarium. I'm still betting its mostly oxygen escaping the diving bell as its broken down before it makes its way into the water column.

Nope not CO2 either as there is no mention of Oxydator's dispensing CO2. Only oxygen and water and peroxide of course.

CronicReefer

Nope not CO2 either as there is no mention of Oxydator's dispensing CO2. Only oxygen and water and peroxide of course.

I'd only suggest CO2 because I would think O2 would react with organics pretty quickly to form CO2 as well, not saying its directly from the oxydator but just a side effect of the overall reaction process.

I'd only suggest CO2 because I would think O2 would react with organics pretty quickly to form CO2 as well, not saying its directly from the oxydator but just a side effect of the overall reaction process.

Sorry I misunderstood you. Yes that is my understanding too and as stated on the Oxydator site.

A few quotes from the site on the workings of the Oxydator.

Quote "Pure oxygen created by the Oxydator is mostly immediately dissolved in water"

Quote "The Oxydator does not only provide a supply of fresh oxygen it also releases activated oxygen"

Then under

Special Ceramic

2H2O2----------------------------------------------H2O2 + O2

albertthiel

Yes, this is beyond any doubt.

Introducing the Oxydator 2.0 , now with high precision dose control :D

Definitely a good way to go Neill

Albert

No CO2 coming from the unit itself .... water and H2O2 do not produce CO2 but maybe just maybe what has been pointed out, the reaction of the oxygen with the organics in the water may do so ... FWIW

Albertr

Non of you budding chemists out there willing to have a stab at what the mysterious white fine bubble things that regularly exit the Oxydator maybe apart from myself of course putting forward my thoughts? Of course it's been established Oxydator's dispense peroxide in to the tank but what I mean is if the Oxydator only doses peroxide then there is something mysterious happening there. Perhaps a gas of some sort like nitrogen or hydrogen or perhaps a new gas unknown to man. Na' I think we can dispense with that idea and those gases. However as far as I am aware hydrogen peroxide is a liquid and I doubt the bubble like things are liquid but maybe I am wrong Maybe one day we will find out until then its something of a mystery it would seem and nobody is prepared to hazard a guess. There is a man who will know for definite though if only he would tell or somebody would ask him.

Edit. Perhaps and this is a long shot I know the bubble like things are oxygen? Perish the thought.

Lol, I think you've made all the guess work on this device as is possible to make.

Lol, I think you've made all the guess work on this device as is possible to make.

Nothing constructive to say not that I am surprised of course. I have posted more on where I get the information to arrive at such but don't read it as it might make you think some more. ;)

Will from "The Shrimp Tank" told me the same thing. You have to put the lid in the base first and then secure it to the container to ensure a proper seal. I was doing that anyways since you can get the lid in without forcing it in when it's attached to the container.

Will from "The Shrimp Tank" told me the same thing. You have to put the lid in the base first and then secure it to the container to ensure a proper seal. I was doing that anyways since you can get the lid in without forcing it in when it's attached to the container.

Well if it works for him. My way works best for me however and never had a problem doing it that way. It's all about security of the cap on the bell and ensuring its flat on the base before installing it whichever way you do it.

Well if it works for him. My way works best for me however and never had a problem doing it that way. It's all about security of the cap on the bell and ensuring its flat on the base before installing it whichever way you do it.

Well apparently that is the manufactures instruction on how to do it....so I guess they both are wrong.

Biting sarcasm is constructive. ;)

Non of you budding chemists out there willing to have a stab at what the mysterious white fine bubble things that regularly exit the Oxydator maybe apart from myself of course putting forward my thoughts?

Nothing constructive to say not that I am surprised of course. I have posted more on where I get the information to arrive at such but don't read it as it might make you think some more. ;)

I was complementing you. :flower:

I shall wash my mouth with soap.

OFF WITH MY HEAD!

Biting sarcasm is constructive. ;)

I was complementing you. :flower:

I shall wash my mouth with soap.

OFF WITH MY HEAD!

Both very good ideas. ;)

We have a tower in London that might just be able to assist you there. Not seen it myself but coincidentally I am going to see it on the 7th June. I will have a word with the chief executioner and see if he will give you priority. I believe he's quite expertly removed a number of foreigners heads quite expertly I may add and you don't even have to be royalty. :closedeyes: As for the soap carbolic is highly recommended for such cleansing. :lol:

Just had a word with Gilbert on the phone. He says he will fit you in between royal engagements as soon as you can get over. no big rush as he's got a lot on right now and has too make some room in the cells in the tower. Just present yourself at the Tower between 6am to 6pm Monday to Friday (he don't do 7 days a week) and tell him his mate Les sent you. Just so you know who he is and what he looks like here's a pic. Rather handsome looking dude don't you agree?

gilbert-savage_zpsgko4ps8e.jpg

I shall will my tank to the people of the reef. My cat to the people of Kat. Alas I am not long of this world.

Just had a word with Gilbert on the phone. He says he will fit you in between royal engagements as soon as you can get over. no big rush as he's got a lot on right now and has too make some room in the cells in the tower. Just present yourself at the Tower between 6am to 6pm Monday to Friday (he don't do 7 days a week) and tell him his mate Les sent you. Just so you know who he is and what he looks like here's a pic. Rather handsome looking dude don't you agree?

I'm keeping my heels on. Just so you know.

I will my Queens China and limited edition cake plate to Hypostatic.

Archived