Cultivated Reef

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

jedimasterben

Albert and Les wow what a thread. Good job defending such a simple device. People try to make simple things so complicated.

So you'd prefer we leave the device at 'works through magic' instead?
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

Albert and Les wow what a thread. Good job defending such a simple device. People try to make simple things so complicated.

Thanks

:blink::rolleyes:

:lol:

CronicReefer

So I'm torn, should I buy one? What exactly do they do? Is it essentially a slow peroxide dosing system?

It helps create a saturated oxygen environment as well as a little peroxide escaping into the water to increase redox (amount of peroxide is up for debate but I would say its extremely small). I bought one and it made a noticeable difference in reducing the amount of detritus in my sand and it got rid of some cyano I had. Really I just think the saturated oxygen is the most important benefit to be gained for the livelihood of the fish/inverts. but there is a chance for some algae growth as CO2 is also produced until the excess organics in the tank are removed.

we would be no worse off and whats so wrong with magic anyway. If it was good enough for Tommy Cooper then it's good enough for me.
albertthiel

So I'm torn, should I buy one? What exactly do they do? Is it essentially a slow peroxide dosing system?

If you go through the thread from the beginning onwards you will find the answers and what members agree on and what they are not sure about and what they question

Albert

It helps create a saturated oxygen environment as well as a little peroxide escaping into the water to increase redox (amount of peroxide is up for debate but I would say its extremely small). I bought one and it made a noticeable difference in reducing the amount of detritus in my sand and it got rid of some cyano I had. Really I just think the saturated oxygen is the most important benefit to be gained for the livelihood of the fish/inverts. but there is a chance for some algae growth as CO2 is also produced until the excess organics in the tank are removed.

+ 1

albertthiel

Yes do so ...

Albert

Not magic Ben ... there is enough evidence of what it does although I agree that we do not fully understand "everything" it does and "how" but overall the benefits are there as evidenced by the many (not necessarily just here) who have posted the positive results they have obtained buy using one

Albert

we would be no worse off and whats so wrong with magic anyway. If it was good enough for Tommy Cooper then it's good enough for me.

I really disagree with this statement. Reefkeeping hasn't progressed to where it is today by "magic" -- it's been through science, research, and understanding. Advancement only comes by understanding what you're dealing with.

You can disagree all you wish but Tommy Cooper knows best. Lots of magic things happen in my tanK every day. :-)

This thread is long over. Chris, I linked the patent way back. It is from 2004.

As for defense of such a simple product, Defending science is critical. But when people are willfully ignorant, my willingness to help or converse with them ends. I leave the magic users to their magic and I will continue to evaluate and test the oxydator on my tank as scientifically as I can and report my results there. I leave the good ol' boys, who choose to remain ignorant, to their own devices. You can have your Tommy Coopers and magic. I'll take reality and the ability to make positive changes that actually work on my tank.

The only willfully ignorance is people who cant open thier eyes to the fact that others may have a view or experience different to theirs and bully others. However I think you have made the right decision tibbsy given your post. You continue on whatever path suits you best and it's unfortunate your experience with the Oxydator has not been the best in your tank along with a few more while others have experienced the opposite. Why that should be for now remains something of a mystery for now. It's good to know how things work and why they work but more importantly when they do work that's the goal achieved not the whys and what fors of it's working for many.

albertthiel

We have now reached 33 pages of posts about a very simple and effective device ! Kind of amazing that such a thread has come to life for the Oxydator when there are so many other methods that are being used and advocated for reef keeping that do not draw the kind of controversy and discussion that the Oxydator does

To mention just a few

The Balling Method

The Triton Method

The Zeovit Method

ULNS systems

The Druide Reef methods used in Europe

Vodka dosing

Sugar dosing

Vinegar dosing

And I could go on

Amazes me that the focus on a simple device like the Oxydator (compared to teh ones mentioned above) has resulted in this long a thread .....

Just saying

Albert

Amazes me that the focus on a simple device like the Oxydator (compared to teh ones mentioned above) has resulted in this long a thread .....

Just saying

Albert

That's pretty much because you and Atoll just keep saying the device is magical and respond to every post when it isn't directed at you specifically as if you created the Oxydator and must defend until beheaded. :) The only evidence provided by the both of you to refute anything anybody else has said is "it works for me and many others therefore it must work". And such increasing the thread by one more post saying absolutely the same thing as the previous posts by both of you, independently. And as soon as this is pointed out Atoll decides life is not worth living and he is being bullied while again providing no evidence of anything other than it is magical, this Oxydator is. Lol. Sheesh. Let's continue this magical thread.

Just saying.

albertthiel

That's pretty much because you and Atoll just keep saying the device is magical and respond to every post when it isn't directed at you specifically as if you created the Oxydator and must defend until beheaded. :) The only evidence provided by the both of you to refute anything anybody else has said is "it works for me and many others therefore it must work". And such increasing the thread by one more post saying absolutely the same thing as the previous posts by both of you, independently. And as soon as this is pointed out Atoll decides life is not worth living and he is being bullied while again providing no evidence of anything other than it is magical, this Oxydator is. Lol. Sheesh. Let's continue this magical thread.

Just saying.

Kat I honestly think that is a tad exagerated

And what about the other methods that are mentioned above .. those who use them also just claim they work but I do not see any 33 or more pages threads about them

But so be it I guess

Albert

Well kat yours is one post I can't be bothered to respond to as as usual you have nothing to contribute to this thread but negativity and sarcasm. Ooops sorry I just did lol. Thank for all your invaluable negative contributions however.

We have now reached 33 pages of posts about a very simple and effective device ! Kind of amazing that such a thread has come to life for the Oxydator when there are so many other methods that are being used and advocated for reef keeping that do not draw the kind of controversy and discussion that the Oxydator does

To mention just a few

The Balling Method

The Triton Method

The Zeovit Method

ULNS systems

The Druide Reef methods used in Europe

Vodka dosing

Sugar dosing

Vinegar dosing

And I could go on

Just saying

Albert

If it reaches 100 pages it would be even better.

I don't think there's anything wrong with critical analysis, and in fact, I don't believe it's extremely uncommon on nano-reef:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/268706-peroxide-saves-my-tank-with-pics-to-prove-it/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/343586-nualgi-additive-review-and-testing/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/161449-d-d-h2ocean-pro-salt/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/186106-vitamin-c-dosing/

I'm not saying it's a bad product. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm just trying to better understand what it is, and how it's supposed to work.

I'm not saying that it's a waste of money and to not buy it. In fact, I'd feel comfortable telling people to go out and try it. The more people who try it and report their experiences, the better we'll understand it's effects on home reef aquaria.

We all love our colorful wet boxes, there's no denying that. It's why we're spending time posting on here in the first place. It's also why we can get so worked up about some issues regarding them. My stance is that since we care so much about our reefs, we should do our best to educate ourselves about them, in order to better care for them. I believe the more we understand about water chemistry, the natural life history of our tank's inhabitants, lighting & etc..., the better equipped we'll be to ensure the well being of our wet boxes and their contents. And this is what is at the core behind this thread -- the care and understanding of our reef tanks.

Actually I have used the device in my tanks for 20 years now. No magic. I learned about it from friends in Germany.

Albert wait to they hear of DiMyCo

Filtration. ?

I have used every know type of product for the aquarium over the years. The oxydator was one of the easier ones to figure out. ?

albertthiel

Albert wait to they hear of DiMyCo

Filtration.

I have used every know type of product for the aquarium over the years. The oxydator was one of the easier ones to figure out.

Thanks, and Indeed :)

And I have done the same, used and tried just about every method over the 30 or so years I have been in the reef hobby and find the same ... Oxydators are the simplest ones to set up and do the job.

There are others that are easy to install but the Oxydator certainly ranks at the top of the list

Albert

Thanks, and Indeed :)

And I have done the same, used and tried just about every method over the 30 or so years I have been in the reef hobby and find the same ... Oxydators are the simplest ones to set up and do the job.

There are others that are easy to install but the Oxydator certainly ranks at the top of the list

Albert

Agreed you can argue all day/week/month about how the Oxydator works but the fact is it works for many in the way it is intended and that's what matters to most. My Oxydators have worked for me for around 35 years or so :)

Well it been like 7-8 days with the replacement oxydator and I have filled it twice from two different bottle, so I know it's not the peroxide Ig got. Something is going on to accelerate the process.

Well it been like 7-8 days with the replacement oxydator and I have filled it twice from two different bottle, so I know it's not the peroxide Ig got. Something is going on to accelerate the process.

Sounds as if there are other things influencing the rate at which the peroxide is used up then. They do say things like the amount of organics flow and temperature will also influence the rate of use but I don't know why that should be. I would just carry on refilling and maybe after a while when the Oxydator has settled it will reduce the amount of peroxide being used. That is providing your corals are all fine with it of course

At this point the GHA is growing pretty wild so sounds like the organic levels are way up there. I started 2ml peroxide per day dosing friday to see if I can knock that down. I have used that in the past to clear the tank before when I had the same issue years back. With the dosing I would been seeing with the oxydator, I'm still not sure how much straight peroxide is being dosed with the unit. If straight peroxide dosing helps solve my issue, it might be another scrap of data to throw to the non-straight peroxide doser theory.

Years back when I was dosing less amount of peroxide then the oxydator is using, I saw some reaction form my corals, but nothing detrimental. Since using the oxydator, I see no change at all which.

CronicReefer

I'd double check the seals and make sure there are no imperfections in the ceramic base that would affect the reservoir fitting inside it.

Archived