ReefCleaners.org

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

Was referred to this particular post so I decided to respond! Thanks for the data rehype. You don't happen to have an ORP probe or anything do you? It'd be nice to see a measure of the oxygen over time with and without the oxydator. Given that the oxygen is already saturated in the water in our tanks with movement and such, it seems that the oxydator really only helps maintain that same level and as you said, would only really benefit tanks that lack the ability to turn over water. Awesome work!

Ben and I have discussed this exact chart before! And I think we referenced it here a ways back. Good to see more data involved.

No problem Tibbsy glad I could help. Saltwater has a limited capacity to hold O2 and its totally dependent on salinity and temperature. The average tank will have no issues reaching this saturation point with excellent water turnover and access to fresh air. However there will always be exceptions and in tanks with low O2 the oxydator can certainly help. Although as Les pointed out there are alot of variables that will determine just how much it will help which is why im very interested to see the results from his testing.

Heres the ORP reading during the time the oxydator was online. The oxydator went online the morning of the 27th and was taken offline this morning (30th) There was a sharp drop in ORP when it was added but after a few days everything leveled back out. There wasnt a large increase in ORP but my levels were pretty high to begin with.

17297552116_e38ebf274d_h.jpg

Unfortunately I again had to take the unit offline because its still dosing at a much faster rate than it should. (Chris1976 had the same issue with his model and was sent a replacement. I have yet to hear any feedback on its performance) It seems to double the rate at which its doses once placed in water and as a result the bell was nearly empty in just 3 1/2 days. One of my SPS started to RTN so i took the oxydator offline shortly after. Im thinking of trying a 3% solution and testing in freshwater thats a few degrees cooler than my display tank and see if theres any difference in the dosing rate.

I would wait a little more between tests than 2 hrs -- maybe like 24-48hrs so the system has more time to stabilize and level out. A 2hr vs 24hr test would be good for seeing how quickly the oxydator can affect a system like yours.

Totally agree. 48 would be ideal

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would wait a little more between tests than 2 hrs -- maybe like 24-48hrs so the system has more time to stabilize and level out. A 2hr vs 24hr test would be good for seeing how quickly the oxydator can affect a system like yours.

Definitely longer than 2.

What I mean to say is test the O2 2 hours after adding the oxydator but I could then wait a lot longer before doing a 2nd test 24hours if people think it better. But test 2 hours after upping the peroxide %. When I did my tests many years ago i seem to recall a rise in O2 and redox in a short space of time hence testing after reintroducing my Oxydator at 2 hours. I may test again some hours later to try and establish a trend. However it's also a matter of the time I have and what I also do like feeding my fish and corals. I could not feed for 24 hours while I am carrying out the testing. Certainly when feeding ORP drops. We shall see. Shame nobody else isn't prepared to do similar testing to compare abd as I suggested in a previous post not so long ago.

I removed my Oxydator at 4pm UK time before I went to work. I will do my first tests in the morning before my lights come on. about 15 hours after removing the Oxydator. I will carry out a number of tests before the O2 test and report as I go along if I can but I am out Friday evening around 9pm UK time.

First tests carried out this morning at 10am UK time as follows.

Note lights out and Oxydator was removed at 4pm UK time 18 hours before first tests.

All tests Salifert and in date.

All samples of water taken approximately 1" below the surface.

Temp 25.5C

Salinity 1.024

PH 7.8 low

KH 6.1 low need to adjust.

Mag 1320 low but just about acceptable will raise slowly

Calc 525 too high probably reason mag is low?

Nitrate. 5 up from 0 last time I tested.

Nitrite 0

Phos 0.1

O2 7 low but acceptable.

Clearly I have a calc mag KH imbalance which I am going to correct using Randy Holmes Farley's 2 part supplement.

Next O2 test soon at midday 2 hours after first test.

20150501_102427_zpsrotwr7kq.jpg

Second test at 12-15pm O2 level more like 8mg/L now I would say.

20150501_122425_zpswzxnpi7o.jpg

Comparison first test.

Second test at 12-15pm O2 level more like 8mg/L now I would say.

20150501_122425_zpswzxnpi7o.jpg

Comparison first test.

Thanks for the results so far Les. Whats your salinity? I would say the second test is still around 7 as well. The shadows in the vial can be misleading.

Thanks for the results so far Les. Whats your salinity? I would say the second test is still around 7 as well. The shadows in the vial can be misleading.

OOps yes salinity is 1.024 I shall add that to the list above.

Well there is definitely a rise in O2 maybe not a full 1 but a rise non the less. Of course my phone on my camera wont show the true accuracy and even the light has improved near the window where I took each pic.

albertthiel

OOps yes salinity is 1.024 I shall add that to the list above.

Well there is definitely a rise in O2 maybe not a full 1 but a rise non the less. Of course my phone on my camera wont show the true accuracy and even the light has improved near the window where I took each pic.

And more photosynthesis = more O2 also Les as you well know

And more photosynthesis = more O2 also Les as you well know

photosynthesis does increase oxygen, but remember that photosynthesis in corals occurs inside the coral tissue and is used by the coral tissue rather than being released into the water column. If algae is growing more, then it would be in the water column.

Thanks for the results les. It is interesting that your readings are above saturation, but it could just be that your test kit results in a higher baseline

3rd test taken at 2-15pm UK time.

20150501_141714_zpsbvcohsoa.jpg

There is definitely a deeper colour to 8 I see.

BTW my lights are currently at approx 50% of what they will be at 5pm.

I will now up the peroxide concentration to 9% and test my O2 later.

BTW the peroxide in my peroxide in my Oxydator dropped by approximately 1/4" in the 4 hours since installing it this morning. I will do the next test at 6pmish .

albertthiel

3rd test taken at 2-15pm UK time.

20150501_141714_zpsbvcohsoa.jpg

There is definitely a deeper colour to 8 I see.

BTW my lights are currently at approx 50% of what they will be at 5pm.

I will now up the peroxide concentration to 9% and test my O2 later.

That looks like a nice increase indeed Les

Les, is there any way you can take a picture of your tank, too? It'd be nice to get an idea of your tank's visuals.

Taken recently. I have swapped my Gyre from the RH side to the left earlier this week.

20150323_214605_zpshz00l5at.jpg

Is it bare-bottomed?

Nope about 1/2" of fine sand but thicker in some places due to pistil shrimp and gobby moving it about.

Few more pic's taken with my coral viewer a couple of days ago using my phones camera.

20150428_171445_zpssbfnzryk.jpg

20150428_171436%202_zpsb33xphtp.jpg

20150428_171424%201_zpsvqjipzgr.jpg

20150406_220056_zpsvamwesux.jpg

My sump.

20150309_181433_zpsw1okx07m.jpg

Is it common for those who are using oxydators to also have algae scrubbers?

Sorry really can't answer that. I know of a friend who also has an algae scrubber on his SPS tank plus he uses a DIY Oxydator.

9% peroxide but with full lighting. No determinable difference in colour I can see. I could go to 11% peroxide. but would have to test at 9pmish UK time as I am out after that.

20150501_182548_zpskdfiwr31.jpg

Now 11% peroxide in my Oxydator. The Oxydator is fizzing away as it was with the other % on initial installation. I will try and test again for O2 around 9pm UK time. I need to watch my corals for signs of reaction to the 11%

20150501_183904_zpshfwmbi9q.jpg

albertthiel

9% peroxide but with full lighting. No determinable difference in colour I can see. I could go to 11% peroxide. but would have to test at 9pmish UK time as I am out after that.

20150501_182548_zpskdfiwr31.jpg

That looks more than 8 to me Les

Archived