• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

Am on holiday at the English Lakes

Enjoy

Albert

yeah, seems the horse we kept beating died

Still looking for a link or Ebay seller name for buying the right 6% peroxide (quality product)

I will say I have not had to really clean my glass since about a week after I started using it.

Buy a stronger solution on eBay and dilute it with distilled water

Albert

Did you guy start seeing a drop in your skimmer performance after a while?

I get a similar amount of skimmate but it is a lighter colour.

• 3 months later...

I just commissioned a Mini in my 8.6g reef. It released quite a few bubbles for about 30 minutes but then settled down. I found some 8% H2O2 to use when the 4.9% it came with runs out. Should I dilute it down to 6%?

I will report back with my obsevations.

I just commissioned a Mini in my 8.6g reef. It released quite a few bubbles for about 30 minutes but then settled down. I found some 8% H2O2 to use when the 4.9% it came with runs out. Should I dilute it down to 6%?

I will report back with my obsevations.

In a word "yes" I wouldn't attempt more than 6% in such a small tank. However try it at 3% first then after a few days maybe

try 6% but watch your corals for signs of closing etc.

In a word "yes" I wouldn't attempt more than 6% in such a small tank. However try it at 3% first then after a few days maybe

try 6% but watch your corals for signs of closing etc.

I've been using the 4.9% it came with with no adverse reactions. In fact, I have seen more polyp extension, especially in my Eunicea sp. gorgonians, than I have ever seen before. I can go longer between cleanings of the glass too. At the rate the fluid is dropping it looks like it will only last about two weeks maybe.

I've been using the 4.9% it came with with no adverse reactions. In fact, I have seen more polyp extension, especially in my Eunicea sp. gorgonians, than I have ever seen before. I can go longer between cleanings of the glass too. At the rate the fluid is dropping it looks like it will only last about two weeks maybe.

All similar to what many people report. However for some reason yet to be identified some report algae/diatom growth on the tanks glass it seems. Glad it's working for you.

Interesting using hydrogen peroxide to raise the oxygen level. I wonder which is more effective at raising oxygen levels a reactor with CO2 absorbent (soda lime) connected to a skimmer air intake or a hydrogen peroxide doser

Interesting using hydrogen peroxide to raise the oxygen level. I wonder which is more effective at raising oxygen levels a reactor with CO2 absorbent (soda lime) connected to a skimmer air intake or a hydrogen peroxide doser

Most deffinately using hydrogen peroxide in an Oxydator. Using an O2 test kit I have achieved supper saturation of Oxygen to the point of dangerous levels.You don't want to go there.

Most deffinately using hydrogen peroxide in an Oxydator. Using an O2 test kit I have achieved supper saturation of Oxygen to the point of dangerous levels.You don't want to go there.

Thanks for the information, when I first read Hydrogen peroxide, I was like what? People are now dosing rocket fuel into reef tanks.

True it doesn't count as rocket fuel until you get to 85 percent or higher, but that was my reaction when I read the title and saw the words hydrogen peroxide.

• 4 weeks later...

atoll/Albert/or anyone else willing to help me out,

I have been directly dosing 3% H2O2 for the better part of a couple weeks now. The reason is to fight bryopsis. I have noticed an effect on the bryopsis for sure. Tech M did not work and H2O2 has really been the only thing that I ahve found that will really work for me. The problem I have is it really upsets my zoas when it is dosed. Also, I would like to add a BTA and have heard that they do not tolerate H2O2 well at all. I am wondering if you can give me any insight as to whether an oxydator would both help to keep the bryopsis at bay(the same way dosing H2O2 directly does) as well as be safe for the nem.

I realize that you may not really be able to tell me whether it will 100% help against the bryopsis, so I am willing to try it out to see if it will continue to work. I guess my question is more in terms of is the oxydator safe for use with a nem in the tank.

Oh, and a little background on my tank:

Cad Lights 34G Mini(appx. 20 - 25 gallons of actual water)

I have found that dosing about 2ml of H2O2 daily will keep the bryopsis from growing back, just FYI

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this was already covered at all in previous pages. I attempted to search and filter through this thread but wasn't able to find anything concrete.

jedimasterben

The oxydator varies in its dosage of peroxide, it does it pretty rapidly the first few days and then trails off as the concentration inside the reservoir lowers and the reaction pushing the remaining peroxide solution into the tank slows.

and in no helpful prediction I claim it w be safe for the anemones due to low output and not help on the bryopsis, its good to hear the direct treats are working

tech m beats us for bryopsis treatment (peroxiders) in a little over half the bryopsis cases imo, the fact it wouldn't respond to it at all just makes me think the weak and steady output of the dator wont get it. harmless to try, dators are safe.

jedimasterben

Could also use small amounts of Metricide (2.5% gluteraldehyde). It's used planted tanks with sensitive shrimp with no ill effects unless significantly overdosed, and on the tiny amount of data on dosing in a reef tank it looks like it is still a powerful algaecide that doesn't hurt corals.

and in no helpful prediction I claim it w be safe for the anemones due to low output and not help on the bryopsis, its good to hear the direct treats are working

tech m beats us for bryopsis treatment (peroxiders) in a little over half the bryopsis cases imo, the fact it wouldn't respond to it at all just makes me think the weak and steady output of the dator wont get it. harmless to try, dators are safe.

This is pretty much what i figured. I may still give it a shot once I fully eridicate the bryopsis(Im close right now). Once it is gone, the oxydator may be just enough to keep it from coming back. Ill let you all know if it works, but that wont be something i would know for quite some time.

• 1 month later...

Good Morning, I've read first 10 or more pages, great info. I purchased 2 A units for my 200 gallons reef tank which I'm starting. I have two questions which I could not find answers to so far; 1. Do I have to replace catalysts in time? if so when? Can I place two A units in my sump or do I have to place it in the tank? Thank you for your help.

Good Morning, I've read first 10 or more pages, great info. I purchased 2 A units for my 200 gallons reef tank which I'm starting. I have two questions which I could not find answers to so far; 1. Do I have to replace catalysts in time? if so when? Can I place two A units in my sump or do I have to place it in the tank? Thank you for your help.

The catalysts do not wear out and do not need to be replaced.

You can put both in the sump or in the tank (preferred)(

Albert

Or one in the tank and one in the sump as required. They do work at their best in tank but yes they will work almost as well in sump IME. .

The catalysts do not wear out and do not need to be replaced.

You can put both in the sump or in the tank (preferred)(

Albert

Thank you Albert. One more thing if I can trouble you; should I start the oxydators just after cycling the tank?

Archived