SaltCritters.com

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

I'm curious why this happens to some of us. I wonder if Neil can ask Ochtong.

I am too. We all have different tanks, but similar ideas - mixed reef. Some people have it work, some don't. I think it's less likely an issue of the tanks themselves (rock or sand, especially because I vacuum my sand every week and have minimal rock), more of an issue of lack of quality control in the synthesis of the catalyst or the ceramic dish. Perhaps it's a lid issue/jar issue.

In addition, weekly water changes would help remove whatever is reacting with the peroxide from the rock/sand. Not only that, but the amount of oxygen being added isn't THAT much higher. Super saturation occurs, but transiently and my tank gets a LOT of aeration, likely keeping the oxygen levels pretty high already. This suggests that the oxygen being added wouldn't react more with the rock/sand than it already was. I suspect it's a CO2 issue. Sochting even mentions that in the website/Neill's question, I believe.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm feeling bold today. I just upped the peroxide concentrate from 9% to 10% today on my large oxydator. I ran it at 9% for about a week and noticed very clear water. No corals or inverts were negatively affected at all. Where should I stop at?

albertthiel

Well, I'm feeling bold today. I just upped the peroxide concentrate from 9% to 10% today on my large oxydator. I ran it at 9% for about a week and noticed very clear water. No corals or inverts were negatively affected at all. Where should I stop at?

How many catalysts are you using :

1 - 9%

2 - 6%

are my suggestions

Albert

jedimasterben

Well, I'm at around 15% peroxide since Monday afternoon, both silver catalysts in place. My water still has a nice yellowish-green tint to it when looked at from the side. Neither removing my algae scrubber, a 55w UV sterilizer, nor the oxydator have been able to take care of that. :/

Well, I'm at around 15% peroxide since Monday afternoon, both silver catalysts in place. My water still has a nice yellowish-green tint to it when looked at from the side. Neither removing my algae scrubber, a 55w UV sterilizer, nor the oxydator have been able to take care of that. :/

Good ole fashioned carbon can take care of that...particularly the rox grade. Especially if you put it in boiling water first before adding it to your aquarium.

jedimasterben

Good ole fashioned carbon can take care of that...particularly the rox grade. Especially if you put it in boiling water first before adding it to your aquarium.

I use a cup of fresh ROX 0.8 and a lot of Seachem Purigen monthly since I started the tank, still no change, even right after replacing it.

Curious what the boiling does?

Curious what the boiling does?

Heating the water allows water to permeate the carbon releasing air trapped in micropores making the carbon more effective from the beginning.

jedimasterben

Well, pulled the Oxydator last night. 15% peroxide and two catalysts gave some interesting results over the past few days. My magnifica anemone shrank significantly and looked in poor condition almost the entire time. It returned to its normal self last night after pulling the Oxydator out. I also had one of my gorgonians recede, one of my maxi mini anemones bleached significantly, as did a large colony of Palythoa (to note: these maxi minis and palys have been with me for 2-3 years now and have been witness to many atrocities, including dosing one liter of 3% peroxide to the tank daily for several days, and they have never had this reaction).

Not sure if I'm going to continue at this point. With 6% peroxide and two catalysts, I saw no change in my tank except more algal growth. With 15% and two catalysts I saw negative reactions from invertebrates, though this week I have seen less algal growth on the glass, but what growth was there was more difficult to remove than normal.

albertthiel

Well, pulled the Oxydator last night. 15% peroxide and two catalysts gave some interesting results over the past few days. My magnifica anemone shrank significantly and looked in poor condition almost the entire time. It returned to its normal self last night after pulling the Oxydator out. I also had one of my gorgonians recede, one of my maxi mini anemones bleached significantly, as did a large colony of Palythoa (to note: these maxi minis and palys have been with me for 2-3 years now and have been witness to many atrocities, including dosing one liter of 3% peroxide to the tank daily for several days, and they have never had this reaction).

Not sure if I'm going to continue at this point. With 6% peroxide and two catalysts, I saw no change in my tank except more algal growth. With 15% and two catalysts I saw negative reactions from invertebrates, though this week I have seen less algal growth on the glass, but what growth was there was more difficult to remove than normal.

Stick with 9 % and either one or two catalysts Ben ... and give it some time ..

Albert

With 15% and two catalysts I saw negative reactions from invertebrates, though this week I have seen less algal growth on the glass, but what growth was there was more difficult to remove than normal.

I'm hardly surprised as this is what I have reported on here in the past. Sometimes you may get away wit it for a number of fillings then one day you WILL have a negative reaction to higher levels hence why I never recommend more than 9% peroxide. .

albertthiel

I'm hardly surprised as this is what I have reported on here in the past. Sometimes you may get away wit it for a number of fillings then one day you WILL have a negative reaction to higher levels hence why I never recommend more than 9% peroxide. .

As we both suggested : 9 %

jedimasterben

Stick with 9 % and either one or two catalysts Ben ... and give it some time ..

Albert

How much more time are we talking? Peroxide dosing gives pretty immediate results (same with ozone), so not sure why this would take much longer, especially with 15% peroxide.

Ok guys so I just added the oxydator to the tank. I decided to put it in towards the end of the light cycle.I put it in the display first as the claim is its most efficient there (although I doubt that)Ill go through the paces and eventually switch it to the sump and see if theres a measurable/discernible difference.

Rundown of current tank inhabitants:
Softies
LPS
SPS
Zoos
Gorgonians
Feather duster
Pulsing Xenia
Red claw crabs
Fromia starfish
Fumanchu Lionfish
Pair of Redfin Waspfish
Fuzzy Lionfish
Melanarus Wrasse
Pair of tigertail seahorses
hermits and snails
White Flame Scallop

Tank Parameters:

Temp:77 degrees
Alk:7-8dkh
Nitrates:1-2ppm
Phosphates:0.04ppm
Calcium:450ppm
PH:7.8-8.0 during the day
ORP: Before oxydator 220-275

Graph of ORP last two days

17034795851_b1fe7037c5_b.jpg

Please disregard the sharp dip as this was when I was performing a water change and the probe was out of water. There was a noticeable bump in ORP following the water change. The oxydator was added at about 6:00pm this evening. Youll notice that almost immediately after the addition there is a steady increase in ORP (these are the highest reading ive had thus far)

Initial Observations

Well the first thing i noticed after adding oxydator was there a flux of small bubbles and then some larger ones. Within 5 minutes my pulsing xenia immediately closed up. So I can validate tibbsys experience....Im curious if they will open back up in a few days. All the other inhabitants dont seem to be phased so far. Ill keep a close eye on them in the days to come.

I find it hard to believe the oxydator is directly cause algae issues but more likely indirectly by somehow how releasing phosphate eyc from rock work or sand. With regards to how long before a reduction in algae will be noticed given some people have no issues at all and some even report a reduction in undesirable algae and cyno then the answer is most likely how long is a piece of string. If we can find out exactly why some experience alage then perhaps we can determine a time scale. Would be an idea to do some water testing for the likes of phosphate but even then this may not be conclusive as it's often reported algae will utilise what little nutrients are available to it.

albertthiel

How much more time are we talking? Peroxide dosing gives pretty immediate results (same with ozone), so not sure why this would take much longer, especially with 15% peroxide.

Yes but is the continuous action that eventually gives you the results IME

Albert

I find it hard to believe the oxydator is directly cause algae issues but more likely indirectly by somehow how releasing phosphate eyc from rock work or sand. With regards to how long before a reduction in algae will be noticed given some people have no issues at all and some even report a reduction in undesirable algae and cyno then the answer is most likely how long is a piece of string. If we can find out exactly why some experience alage then perhaps we can determine a time scale. Would be an idea to do some water testing for the likes of phosphate but even then this may not be conclusive as it's often reported algae will utilise what little nutrients are available to it.

Directly or indirectly, for some of us the oxydator does increase algae.

Given the results, it's hard to make a case to let it ride and wait when the first instinct is to take away the cause of the algae increase. I don't doubt that the over all chemistry of the tank causes this reaction. I've always had high phosphates and nitrates, I run reactors and a large fuge with many varieties of macros, mollusks, sponges, xenia to combat my high nutrients. I would say that a tank in balance is a good one.

Perhaps the oxydator un-balances the tank in some way and we see algae. Perhaps it will eventually balance it or I have to make some changes to get it to balance again with whatever the oxydator is doing that causes the change. All I can tell you is when I see algae, I won't let it ride.

If the oxydator unbalances tanks then why some and not others? I don't believe the cause of algae growth is anything other than a nutrients issue an oxydator does nor release nutrients just oxygen and a little water. If anybody can point me to anything other logical than I have already stated I would like to hear it.

Initial Observations

Well the first thing i noticed after adding oxydator was there a flux of small bubbles and then some larger ones. Within 5 minutes my pulsing xenia immediately closed up. So I can validate tibbsys experience....Im curious if they will open back up in a few days. All the other inhabitants dont seem to be phased so far. Ill keep a close eye on them in the days to come.

Ive also noticed my zoos are mostly closed since the addition. I expected some negative reactions from my coral since most coral dont like sudden change. I figure Ill give them a week to adjust before I make any changes.

Im also surprised by how much peroxide has already been used in less than 24 hours. The bell is almost half empty..

I don't believe the cause of algae growth is anything other than a nutrients issue an oxydator does nor release nutrients just oxygen,Peroxide and a little water.

Fixed that for ya

jedimasterben

Fixed that for ya

Now now, don't be trying to put words in his mouth, we all know that no peroxide escapes ;)

Now now, don't be trying to put words in his mouth, we all know that no peroxide escapes ;)

Well I have data to back it up ;) My ORP clearly rose to its highest point shortly after the oxydator was added. Which makes sense since peroxide is a natural oxidizing agent

Furthermore the negative reaction from certain coral cant by explained by the simple addition of oxygen and water...

No more than putting 15% peroxide in an oxydator with a magnifica nem in it after being told thats a definite no no but then people sometimes do the silliest thing and against sound advice.

CronicReefer

The oxydator increases CO2 from the breaking down of organics as well as increasing O2. This increase in CO2 will last as long as there is organics available in excess levels. Increased CO2 = increased nutrients for algae = increased algae growth. If you are willing to wait long enough it should get better over time (one month is not long enough to evaluate this products effects) Algae is also a healthy part of a marine environment so trying to eradicate all signs of algae does not seem necessary or practical in my opinion.

Archived