Coral Vue Hydros

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CronicReefer

Do you have any shrimp in your tank?

I keep a reef lobster in mine and he doesn't seem to be affected in any way. The oxydator is actually right outside his front door.

Yes. I have peps

I keep a reef lobster in mine and he doesn't seem to be affected in any way. The oxydator is actually right outside his front door.

Thanks for responding. Any reason why you dont keep your oxydators in the sump?

Xenia which is reported to be sensitive to peroxide in the aquarium grows fine and pulses away in my tank. My clump is above and to the right of my Oxydator. I currently have 9% peroxide with 2 catalysts in my model "A" and there is not negative reaction from the Xenia at all.

I have tried it in the sump but although it works OK there it works better in the tank itself.I find

Xenia which is reported to be sensitive to peroxide in the aquarium grows fine and pulses away in my tank. My clump is above and to the right of my Oxydator. I currently have 9% peroxide with 2 catalysts in my model "A" and there is not negative reaction from the Xenia at all.

I have tried it in the sump but although it works OK there it works better in the tank itself.I find

When it was in your sump was it right in front of the return pump?

A little update of sorts. I've had my large Oxydator in my 75g tank for a week now and have noticed a bit more water clarity. I was running 7% solution and just increased it to 9% today. The bottle was about half gone after a week so I estimate it will take 2 weeks for it to totally drain out. I am using 2 catalysts btw. I put the Oxydator in front of the tank so I can observe the unit. I have noticed tiny bubbles being streamed out of the unit, with the occasional large bubble coming out every 15-20 seconds. It is definitely dosing peroxide over the entire week. I will continue to monitor it for another week and then move it to the rear of the tank or the overflow chamber after I am satisfied with it. So far so good. The unit is mere inches away from a rose bta and a few acro colonies and it has had zero negative effect on them, so that is great news. We will see what the 9% solution does to the tank in the coming week.

CronicReefer

Don't own a sump and it wouldn't fit in my canister filter.

My Oxydator was in my tank from day one. The Xenia was introduced a few weeks ago and its never reacted negatively from the day it went in the tank. Just saying.

Tibbys has an problem with his Oxydator affecting his Xenia however.
when in the sump the Oxydator was in the pump chamber.

My sexy shrimp has no problem with the oxydator. The snails don't either. So far it's really only the xenia and that's probably because I have a low enough peroxide concentration such that it's more dripping out into the tank rather than the catalyst efficiently catalyzing the peroxid ein the jar to push out more to catalyze properly with the ceramic dish.

For the sump idea - my only concern with using it in the sump is that the oxygenation of the water may change as the water is pushed from the sump into the display. The gas exchange of the water is probably too fast in that instance to really allow the supersaturation to have an effect on anything in the display. I could be wrong, but it would likely do a better job IN the actual display than in the sump.

Marc.The.Shark

Small update, it's been 3 days since water change/glass cleaning & I have less algae on the glass. Normally it was getting noticeable at the 2 day mark and needed cleaning at 3 days. I can barely see any now at the 3 day mark. Mini is getting low on the 4.9% solution provided with the unit. I was going to add the other catylst when I added more H2O2, but now that I'm seeing some improvement, im going to let it ride as is & just refill the container tomorrow & see how it goes.

Your not long Tibbsy. That is exactly why I prefer my Oxydator's in tank. They are more efficenct in tank as I have noticed. However if for some reason you can't or don't want it in tank then in the sump will still work just not as well. Sump returns being near the tanks surface is the reason for a lesser performance as I suspect more of the oxygen is gassed off with the agitation caused.

Marc.The.Shark

Your not long Tibbsy. That is exactly why I prefer my Oxydator's in tank. They are more efficenct in tank as I have noticed. However if for some reason you can't or don't want it in tank then in the sump will still work just not as well. Sump returns being near the tanks surface is the reason for a lesser performance as I suspect more of the oxygen is gassed off with the agitation caused.

I have split returns on a SCWD, one is near the surface & one is mid water column. My tank is 16" deep. The returns switch about every 30 seconds for random flow. Again, I have the Oxydator in the 1st chamber of my sump after the filter sock, no room in the return chamber as my sump is small & pump is big to account for head loss (3ft) & SCWD loss. But again, my algae problem wasn't huge, just more of an eyesore.

The only thing I'm worried about is the whitening of my cheato, this has gotten slightly worse as well as the Mini is in the chamber before it. Not alarming yet, but I'll keep an eye on it for another H2O2 cycle.

Assume that's dying algae then Chris?

Oh yeah. I had the same results when I was mass peroxide dosing with 3%

The tank is really bubbly. Lots of microbubbles coming in from return now. Of coating all my GHA and cyano

Day 6: Still loads of stringy algae in tank. Had to refill the oxydator. There was about an 1/8" left in the bottle.

Is there much algae left now Chris?

yeah, cyano I sucked off sand is came back. GHA is still there. I'll just keep going with it..

The specs say the container is 1/8 liter. 120 ml. That means I was dosing nearly 20ml a day over the 6 days.....LOL I thought my 10ml a day treatment was a lot in my previous use of peroxide for algae treatment

Keep at it and keeo removing the algae until the oxydator has nutrilised most of the organics. Sometimes it happens quickly other times a number of weeks. However all the time the oxydator is working away for you.

Keep at it and keeo removing the algae until the oxydator has nutrilised most of the organics. Sometimes it happens quickly other times a number of weeks. However all the time the oxydator is working away for you.

yeah. I'm sure it will take some time.

sort of a disturbing occurrence over the last two days. I refilled it Saturday and checked it yesterday and it was about 1/2" down. Today it's about 1/2 empty and my clove polyps are pissed off. It has basically dosed like 50ml in two days. Doing a WC today anyways to suck out the stringy algae so that might help alleviate some stress on the clove polyps.

I checked the unit and it seems to be assembled correctly. Not sure what to think about this, .

sort of a disturbing occurrence over the last two days. I refilled it Saturday and checked it yesterday and it was about 1/2" down. Today it's about 1/2 empty and my clove polyps are pissed off. It has basically dosed like 50ml in two days. Doing a WC today anyways to suck out the stringy algae so that might help alleviate some stress on the clove polyps.

I checked the unit and it seems to be assembled correctly. Not sure what to think about this, .

If you are using the model "D" then you have to be very careful the cap/lid is firmly on if the model "A" then the orange plug needs to be fully turned against its stop to ensure there is no leak of peroxide. Albert had a similar issue with his model "D" I believe.

Xena still unhappy and algae has gotten worse. I resorted to breaking off the whole chunk of rock with the 2 types (looked like hair or bryopsis; the other is calupera). Used a pocket knife to cut the remaining bits off and scrape the whole area removing coralline and macro algae alike. Hopefully this will keep it at bay. I've taken my oxydator out for the time being until I can gain access to higher peroxide as it doesn't seem to be doing anything positive, possibly negative, in my tank thus far.

Archived