ReefCleaners.org

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

WOW, Kyle... your delivery is impeccable. I got the NC12 skimmer today for my AP12. Look wise it looks great, very clean lines. I does fit area wise in the back area. I initially installed it in the first chamber on the left, and saw what the challenge would be for AP owners, it is about 1 to 1 1/2" too tall. So, unless you modify your hood, you won't be able to fit it. I recently upgraded my lighting to a 150W MH pendant. So without the hood, there is no problem, just about an inch of it sticking out, but that allows you to see the bubbles.

First moment in the water.... BUBBLESSSSS, lot of them. (and at the lowest pump setting)

I moved it to the 2nd chamber, because the flow seemed a lil bit restricted by the skimmer itself, no biggie.

It is now in the 2nd chamber, with the outlet facing left. At first there was a large amount of microbubbles in the tank, but later on it slowed.

I will take pics tomorrow, but so far I like it. Much better than the Fission (what isn't?).

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok ladies and gents, here are some pics of the Sapphire Aquatics NC12 skimmer going into my AquaPod 12.

The unit fits very nicely in any of the 3 chambers of the AP. I chose the 2nd (read my last post) So as promised here are the pics, they are pretty self explanatory. If anyone has any questions, just ask, it has been running for over 12 hrs now, and the microbubbles are pretty much gone from the main tank. So far, I'm a happy camper.

post-22812-1163258953_thumb.jpg

post-22812-1163258997_thumb.jpg

post-22812-1163259050_thumb.jpg

post-22812-1163259088_thumb.jpg

Please dont laugh but even after reading the instructions several times im still confused about which chamber to put the skimmer in. Facing the aquarium, is the left, middle or right chamber. If it is the middle chamber, what should i do with the sponge and other filtration stuff already in the chamber?

P.S. I have a 24g nano-cube running a MJ1200.

Many Thanks.

Sapphire Aquatics

vike50brian - The skimmer was designed to be used in the middle chamber, but it can also be used in the first chamber, left. You will need to remove the sponge or the bio balls to fit the skimmer in to either chamber. If you decide to the put the skimmer in the center chamber, I would recommend removing the bio balls slowly, a hand full at a time, over the next couple of weeks. Removing them slowly will allow for the benefical bacteria to reproduce and relocate so that you will not see a spike in your amonia or nitrite levels. Your live rock and sand should provide enough surface area for the bacteria.

X-Treme74 - I do plan to make a HOB skimmer in the future, but right now I am focused on the nano skimmers, and a new hang on refugium that incorporates my skimmers, chemical media trays, and two returns so you don,t have to worry about it ever overflowing. I will keep you updated here about the progress of the HOB skimmer when I get started on it.

vike50brian - The skimmer was designed to be used in the middle chamber, but it can also be used in the first chamber, left. You will need to remove the sponge or the bio balls to fit the skimmer in to either chamber. If you decide to the put the skimmer in the center chamber, I would recommend removing the bio balls slowly, a hand full at a time, over the next couple of weeks. Removing them slowly will allow for the benefical bacteria to reproduce and relocate so that you will not see a spike in your amonia or nitrite levels. Your live rock and sand should provide enough surface area for the bacteria.

X-Treme74 - I do plan to make a HOB skimmer in the future, but right now I am focused on the nano skimmers, and a new hang on refugium that incorporates my skimmers, chemical media trays, and two returns so you don,t have to worry about it ever overflowing. I will keep you updated here about the progress of the HOB skimmer when I get started on it.

I'd love to have one of your skimmers for my 20L - hope to see one of your hob skimmers soon.

I'm now a proud owner of 2 NC 12 skimmers, yes 2!!! The newer model works even better than the old one and it looks alot nicer also! For all you NC12 owners, try turning the pump up to the 2nd speed, you'll notice the difference. I'll post results shortly. Thanks again Kyle!

Sapphire Aquatics

It will be a while before the HOB is released, but in the meantime I am starting production on an 18" Hang on refugium that incorporates the NC24 protein skimmer. It comes with the skimmer, refugium, black eggcrate trays for chemical media, 18 watt pc light, surface skimmer, adjustable input pump for precise control of flow, and two returns so that you never have to worry about a potential overflow. The rear wall is 1.5" taller and black so that you can have a reverse photoperiod and not have any light spill back in to the tank.

More info and pictures can be found here: Refugium

fuge1.jpg

Sapphire Aquatics

For some reason the Aquapod tanks are not popular where I live and it has been very difficult locating one. I finally found one here in town to test out a couple of prototypes so it woun't be long. We are back on track now and I will have something for you shortly.

Kyle

For some reason the Aquapod tanks are not popular where I live and it has been very difficult locating one. I finally found one here in town to test out a couple of prototypes so it woun't be long. We are back on track now and I will have something for you shortly.

Kyle

SWEET! Thanks Kyle.

Just got mine. I would have to say this thing works pretty good. Makes some nice thick foam. I have it in my 12 that has 2 clowns and a 8"bta. I have it set on the lowest setting though. Anything higher it just over flows the skimmer.

Ok, Here's the NC12(new model) in my 29g. These pictures are taken 15 minutes after I've installed it. I had the pump on the Low-Medium setting. The new design is nice! Sorry about the blue/purple tint...my VHOs sucks a$$.

post-21254-1163735958_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1163735991_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1163736027_thumb.jpg

I made a platform for the skimmer from a couple of eggcrate pieces. It works alot better and I have better access to the collection cup. The skimmer sits on top of the eggcrates making it about an inch or so higher. I will soon be doing a mod to the collection cup...I'll let you guys know how it goes.

post-21254-1163737340_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1163737360_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1163737378_thumb.jpg

Well, here is my new skimmer installed in my NC12. Foam is alot thicker. The pump runs alot quieter than the old one too(same pump). The new NC12 is better than the old one for 2 reasons; I'm able to turn the pump up to the second speed(more bubbles) and it's alot more constant than the old one. With the help of a few more hermit crabs and the NC12 skimmer, now I'm almost algae free! I'm not afraid to feed my inverts now. :D

post-21254-1163739238_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1163739256_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1163739277_thumb.jpg

I was wondering how much the collection cup can hold. My NC12 is in my office, and I am wondering if I could leave it running over the weekend, or long weekend, without it overflowing. Thanks.

Mel

I was wondering how much the collection cup can hold. My NC12 is in my office, and I am wondering if I could leave it running over the weekend, or long weekend, without it overflowing. Thanks.

Mel

Yes...The collection cup is about two 1/2 inches squared. I wet-skim w/ the collection cup half-way up, dumping it out every 3-4 days. During break-in period, you will get a little more skimmate but once it settles, you're good to go for atleast 4-5 days. Here's the skimmate I get after about 4 days. You can always raise the collection cup to get darker/thicker skimmate, but I prefer to wet-skim.

Anyways, I noticed that the manual say to turn the pump to the "lowest" setting. There are 4 settings...I use mines at the second lowest and it works even better. HTH

post-21254-1163792906_thumb.jpg

Ok, I guess this mod voids my warranty, but oh well. I cut out a piece of acrylic and drilled a hole in the center with the same dimensions of the underside of the collection cup. I then filed down the center of acrylic piece to form a funnel shape and glued it to the bottom of the collection cup. So now I can actually see the stagnant bubbles(on the flat underside of the collection cup) being directed/pushed towards the center of the collection up, pushing even more bubbles into the rising tube. Here's a picture of what I did. It's kinda hard to tell but I hope everyone gets an idea of what I modded.

post-21254-1163810598_thumb.jpg

post-21254-1163810615_thumb.jpg

Sapphire Aquatics

Good news Aquapod fans, I have resolved the clearance issues and I expect to have the AP24 nano skimmer available within the next week or so.

Also, for those of you that have the Sunpod HQI, the 18" Hang on Refugium fits perfectly with absolutely no modifications to the fuge or the tank. Now you can have a fuge, skimmer, chemical media and run a reverse photoperiod with no modifications to your tank at all, just plug and play. Keep an eye out for an upgraded refugium, thanks to Nanotuners, in the coming weeks.

Kyle

Archived