Top Shelf Aquatics

New Nanocube protien skimmer

Sapphire Aquatics

dga - The cassette skimmer is necessary because the teeth on the false wall are cut so low that without using the cassette skimmer the water level in the display is about an inch below the top trim. You can top it off but then the water levels rise in the rear compartments and drown the skimmer. The cassette skimmer keeps the water in the disply and the rear chambers at the right height. A simple adjustable bracket turns the skimmer in to a "hang in" model. Let me know.

i take it by the teeth you mention is the oval intake on the nanocubes. the sump in my 20 gallon is from an old (cracked) 12 gallon nanocube. i used the 1st chamber only and siliconed it in the rear left of the tank. the dimentions are the same as the chamber in the nanocube, but only is the single chamber, including using the adjustable cassette skimmer i made mentioned and pictured in another post. it sounds like the "hob" model may better siut me. the only possible caveat is that i have a custom teak canopy with a 1 1/2" opening on the back (for wires, etc...) and your hank on model may not fit. any comments on to weather your hob or in tank protein skimmer my be better suited for the job. couldnt the nc12 skimmer be put in the tank directly and adjusted accordingly by raising or lowering the entire unit?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sapphire Aquatics

dga - The skimmer has an internal baffle that sets the water level for you. You will only need the adjustable bracet to position the skimmer in the tank. I can make a black surface skimmer box that will conceal the entire unit as well. This would just look like you had an overflow box against the back wall. Once you position the skimmer in the tank you will never have to adjust anything but the height of the collection cup.

Obsessed Reefer - Thank you. Nanotuners has them in stock and customer support is available from both of us if you order through them.

dga - The skimmer has an internal baffle that sets the water level for you. You will only need the adjustable bracet to position the skimmer in the tank. I can make a black surface skimmer box that will conceal the entire unit as well. This would just look like you had an overflow box against the back wall. Once you position the skimmer in the tank you will never have to adjust anything but the height of the collection cup.

Obsessed Reefer - Thank you. Nanotuners has them in stock and customer support is available from both of us if you order through them.

ok thanks for that. are you saying its better to have the protein skimmer in the tank itself or in a overflow box. does the skimmer come with the adjustable bracket and is it needed if used in a overflow box? i think it looks like the internal skimmer is the best for me. as i mentioned i like to use carbon in my overflow box (internal sump) but i have modded my canopy to accept a hang on power filter to use the carbon in so my overflow box can now accept your skimmer... thanks again

Sapphire Aquatics

dga- Protein skimmers can only remove what is in the water column. Skimming the protein that collects on the surface of the water and mixing it back in to the water column gives the skimmer a chance to remove the waste, and in turn increases the efficiency of the skimmer.

The skimmer does not come with any brackets as it is intended to stand upright in the rear chamber of the Nanocube. I looked at your tank thread, great tank by the way, and I checked out the AGA website. Your tank looks like a 20 high so I might recommend the NC24 or AP24 as the NC12 only stands 10" high. The NC24 is 13" tall and the AP24 is 14" tall, these might be easier to access for you. Feel free to send me a PM and some pictures of your tank and I will be happy to help you figure out which skimmer will work best for your particular set up.

Your PM is full sapphire aquatics

I got your skimmer in a few days ago from nanocustoms and its great. It fits perfect and i like that it is designed well. I feel like the problem with my skimmer is the pump. I have had it for a few days and i know there is a break in period. It is really loud (louder than my 2 maxijet 1200's) and it is a microbubble storm in my tank. The thing that concerns me is that it makes a "wamp wamp wamp" sound and the water level in the skimmer goes up and down only a little. i have it set to the lowest setting. I took the pump off to inspect the impellar and everything seems ok. Do you recomend another pump or what type a pump is it so maybe i can get another one.

Thanks

Sapphire Aquatics

Xpistos - No problem, the pump is covered uder warranty and I will ship a new one out to you ASAP. I have cleared my PM mialbox so pm with your name and address or email me at kyle@sapphireaquatics.com

Obsessed Reefer

Uhh. I really dont know if I want to get a skimmer, I'm running a 12G Nano Cube, and am adding MH this weekend, when I finish with the MH, I plan on adding an anemone. Now I have heard that nem's need a skimmer, and I've heard that they dont need one. Any advice?

Sapphire Aquatics

Obsessed Reefer - Anemones need to be fed. They produce a good amount of waste and a protein skimmer and regular water changes will certainly help keep the nutrients under control. Regular feeding, good strong light, and clean water will help your anemone live a very long time. Anthony Calfo has some excelent information on propogation and maintaining anemones in his book, Book of Coral Propogation. I also found some good general info here: http://fins.actwin.com/species/anemone.html I currently have a Sebaea, heteractis crispa, and an anemone shrimp and they are fascinating to watch. I like this pairing even more than the clownfish. You may also consider an anemone crab, also know as a porcelain crab. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain_crab I hope that this helps you.

this is the overflow box that i cut from an cracked 12 gallon nanocube and put in a 20 gallon high that the nc12 will reside in. its a bit shorter than the original overflow so the nc24 would be to high to fit under my canopy...

mod2.jpg

mod.jpg

20gallon1.jpg

20gallon.jpg

the above reef pic had just been transfered from a 12 gallon nanocube 2 months earlier and shows the reduced height of the canopy. i had is customed made because i did not like the top heavy look of typical canopies. the water depth in the overflow (with slight cassette skimmer restriction) is 9" and only 3" of space above to the hinged hood. this is why i selected the nc12. i ordered this from chris at nanotuners on wednesday.

Mine does the same thing. I just thought It was suppossed to do that. I took mine aprt and checked it out also with no visable damage or bind. Other then the "wamp wamp wamp" Noise and water level fluctuation. The little thing skims great. Is the pump bad?

I got your skimmer in a few days ago from nanocustoms and its great. It fits perfect and i like that it is designed well. I feel like the problem with my skimmer is the pump. I have had it for a few days and i know there is a break in period. It is really loud (louder than my 2 maxijet 1200's) and it is a microbubble storm in my tank. The thing that concerns me is that it makes a "wamp wamp wamp" sound and the water level in the skimmer goes up and down only a little. i have it set to the lowest setting. I took the pump off to inspect the impellar and everything seems ok. Do you recomend another pump or what type a pump is it so maybe i can get another one.

Thanks

I received your skimmer today. I really like the craftsmanship. However, I don't understand how the pump attaches to the bottom of the skimmer. It seams as though I am missing a coupling. I check the box and all of the bubble wrap to be sure I didn't miss something. Can you help?

Shurley

Sapphire Aquatics

Shurley02 - I apologize for the error, it must have come off during packaging. Just to make sure I send the correct piece, there should be a small grey plastic tube, 1/2" x 1" that connects the pump to the body of the skimmer. Is this the piece that is missing? Let me know and I will get it in the mail ASAP.

Your PM is full sapphire aquatics

Thanks

Mine does the same thing. I just thought It was suppossed to do that. I took mine aprt and checked it out also with no visable damage or bind. Other then the "wamp wamp wamp" Noise and water level fluctuation. The little thing skims great. Is the pump bad?

It supposed to be a little louder than the MJ's cause it's producing bubbles. As for the wamping noise, I had the same problem with my pump...all I did was turn up the pump to the 2nd speed(the pump has 4 speeds). I have my skimmer sitting on a small 1" eggcrate platform for easy access to the collection cup, and it seems to work best for me. With the lid closed, I can't hear anything. HTH

Yep, that must be it. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be on the look out for it.

Shurley

I received your skimmer today. I really like the craftsmanship. However, I don't understand how the pump attaches to the bottom of the skimmer. It seams as though I am missing a coupling. I check the box and all of the bubble wrap to be sure I didn't miss something. Can you help?

Shurley

Had my skimmer in my NC24 for let's see three or four days now. Pump is on the second (next to lowest) setting. Still got some microbubbles, but not as many as I had with a Fission skimmer, plus I'm actually getting skimmate! Yipppeeeeee!

What we did was put a sponge on the output side, or make the output side point towards the left. this should allow the microbubbles to go to the surface before there is a chance for them to get to the return pump.

Chris

Archived